JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone, I am trying to gauge interest in 300 AAC Blackout Uppers. We are starting a venture to produce the highest quality uppers and I am trying to see if the caliber is what you are looking for. If so, what barrel length would you be most interested in, and what gas length would you want? All barrels would be stainless. Also, since they would be uppers and fit your standard AR, would you want a bolt carrier group and a charging handle? I don't have any specs yet, but as I iron out the details, I will try to appraise you of the details. Thanks for the info.

After being in the gun business for a year, I think there is interest in this product. A lot of the discussions I have had with people about this caliber involve people asking where to obtain complete uppers (charging handle, bcg). 16-18" with carbine gas/mid length gas. Keep me posted by PM when you come up with something...I may purchase a "test" upper! Good luck!

I have one I built that I'm trying to sell and nobody really seems interested thus far. A couple questions, but no serious offers. Mine is complete with BCG/CH. I built it with an optic in mind, but a couple people seem to be interested in having iron sights, so just a heads up on that.

i have been interested in a high quality 300 blackout upper for awhile now.infact i had a post on it a few weeks back.

i dont want to have to get a stamp so i would want a 16"barrel but most people wanted the short barreled 300aac's(9-11")
i also like the piston guns due to the clean chambers so i can put lots of rounds through it without cleaning it so d.i.is not really
what i want but i may change my mind about that?

i would not run a supressor but most say why have the 300blk if your not going to run it subsonic?i again dont want the stamp hassle.

my main reason for this round is the larger 7.62 round out of the same 5.56 magazines and lower.
because i want the 300blkout upper on my pof p415 piston gun,i think it is to my advantage to build my own from a pof or aac piston upper and just change the barrel to 300blk so i can have my piston option though.

Absolutely interested. Many others as well.
Stainless barrel is a plus.
A must have : 16 - 18 inch with a Mid-Length gas for softer recoil (smoother) and more reliable cycling.
Minimum 1 - 8 twist, maybe faster to stabilize heavy bullets for suppressors. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to know which twist rate is best.
thanks and blue skies!

Over 16" is pointless for a round that shines subsonic, AAC DOES NOT RECCOMEND midlength gas system last I saw due to unreliable cycling- requesting midlength on this build is kinda backwards.
So no one thinks I'm crazy a quote from Rsilvers:
Looks like it in the photo, and mid-length does not work in 300 BLK.

Also AAC is pushing barrel makers to 1/7 to stabilizie the round. I'm definitely interested in this round but it's one people still need to do some reading on instead of just seeing 300AAC and getting all excited with their lipstick out.

Even though the shorter barrels/OAL definitely add to the cool factor, I'd go with 16". Not to avoid going SBR, but because with 16" it is apparently hearing safe with supersonic ammo/suppressor, while the short 8"-10" barrels are not (louder). I like the looks of a quad/other rail running up to the end of the barrel though, looks better with a suppressor than 5"+ of bare barrel with a suppressor on the end.

Depends on who you ask about 1:7 vs 1:8 twist. With 1:7 the bullet is VERY stable so some (JD Jones) suggest a 1:8 that is stable but will tumble when hit.

I agree 16" with rifle length handguards;

DSC_0004-2.jpg
Lilja 16", 1:8, carbine length gas block.

Sorry I meant carbine position gas block. Many suggest pistol length. There is TONS of info on this if you look up .300 Whisper (been around many years).

1:7 vs 1:8 has nothing to do with being suppressed. It has to due with if you want to leave a nice little .30 cal hold though something or if you want to leave a giant temporary and permanent wound channel.

Even though the shorter barrels/OAL definitely add to the cool factor, I'd go with 16". Not to avoid going SBR, but because with 16" it is apparently hearing safe with supersonic ammo/suppressor, while the short 8"-10" barrels are not (louder). I like the looks of a quad/other rail running up to the end of the barrel though, looks better with a suppressor than 5"+ of bare barrel with a suppressor on the end.

Please share where you got this info, this is counter-intuitive to everything else suppressor/sound related.

300 Blackout/Whisper? Definite thumbs up. Direct impingement will foul the system up in no time. A piston-driven upper is a must. An AR with 5.56, 300BO/Whisper, 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf uppers sounds like a good weapons system to me. The piston is the key in all of it. It makes the AR a viable option. I will never retire my AK's, but once the piston uppers are more common, I will hop back on the AR boat. Kip

Please share where you got this info, this is counter-intuitive to everything else suppressor/sound related.

What part? The part about the 8"-10" being too loud to be sound safe with supersonic loads, therefore going with a 16" barrel so both loads w/o ear protection? I believe the AAC guy at Shotshow 2012 gave a little speech about that. I've heard it mentioned in a couple other videos also.

Are you saying you believe that is not correct? I would eventually go with a 9" SBR if that was not the case. Quieter with a 16" barrel though would be better for me.

Depends on who you ask about 1:7 vs 1:8 twist. With 1:7 the bullet is VERY stable so some (JD Jones) suggest a 1:8 that is stable but will tumble when hit.

I agree 16" with rifle length handguards;

DSC_0004-2.jpg
Lilja 16", 1:8, carbine length gas block.

I'll revert again to the horses mouth:
Rsilvers is moving AAC to 1/7 1/7 is now the best

It really would be nice if LMT gets the twist rate to conform to what most others are running. Seems like most are running a 1 in 8 but if RSilvers and the rest of AAC believes that 1 in 7 is the best then I hope that LMT follows.

LMT is using 1/7.

Thanks for getting them off of 1x10.

ETA: 20 weeks from release blows (but not as bad as 1x10 with immediate availability would have)

That's what I do.

What part? The part about the 8"-10" being too loud to be sound safe with supersonic loads, therefore going with a 16" barrel so both loads w/o ear protection? I believe the AAC guy at Shotshow 2012 gave a little speech about that. I've heard it mentioned in a couple other videos also.

Are you saying you believe that is not correct? I would eventually go with a 9" SBR if that was not the case. Quieter with a 16" barrel though would be better for me.

I can't find the post I found earlier but I thought was silvers stating unsuppressed db around 150. This post states the 30cal can gave a reduction of 39db, then states with a good 30cal can should meter upper 120's, that'd put unsuppressed ~160. I wouldn't call that hearing safe without a can. The little research I've done is 300 gives good performace supersonic, not as much subsonic but quiet.:
M4Carbine.net Forums - View Single Post - 300 AAC Blackout Sound Suppression

No, I might not have been clear. The reason for a 16" is so that it is hearing safe SUPPRESSED with SUPERSONIC rounds. Not unsuppressed. Apparently, the experts say a 9" is not hearing safe suppressed with supersonic rounds. I would want a rifle that when I switch out magazines from supersonic to sub ammo, neither would require hearing protection.

Both will have sonic crack; the longer 16" barrel (sound at the rifle, not downrange) is not as harsh as a 9", both suppressed. I am not an expert on this subject by any means and don't claim to be. This is just what I've gathered by recent research.

I'll revert again to the horses mouth:

Well Rslivers is just ONE house and just the newest. Again JD Jones is one of the original developers of this style of round (I believe he is the original) and he choose 1:8 for a very specific reason.

WHY does Rslivers say that 1:7 is better?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top