JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm pretty sure that a decent marksman could put bullets in the bull's eye at 100 yd with this gun. As to the counterbored rifles... mostly the counterbores are done because the gun has a damaged crown. Usually this is because they were cleaned improperly. It is certainly better to find guns which aren't counterbored but plenty of counterbored rifles shoot well.

I plan on finding a Mosin that is interesting -- this one fellow on youtube (marshalzhukov) found an ex-sniper 91/30 at Big 5, with filled holes in the side of the receiver and other evidence of being scoped. This particular gun has quite a bit of collector's value. That would be an interesting thing to find. A gun with a laminated stock (all of these are post war) would be interesting. And, lastly, a gun in mostly new condition would be interesting to find.

Thank you for your replies and advice on picking Mosins.

I found an1935 Izhevszk hex receiver MN at Big 5 today. Yes, it was counterbored, as were all the rifles (about 9) I looked at today. It is in excellent shape, matching numbers, good bolt, good bore. This particular rifle scores a "5" on the http://7.62x54r.net/ "Rarity of Mosin Nagant Rifle Variations" page. That is 5, with 10 being highest and 1 being lowest. It is gratifying that I pulled up something that probably has some collector's value, as well as being a beautiful and completely original shooter.

I found an1935 Izhevszk hex receiver MN at Big 5 today. Yes, it was counterbored, as were all the rifles (about 9) I looked at today. It is in excellent shape, matching numbers, good bolt, good bore. This particular rifle scores a "5" on the http://7.62x54r.net/ "Rarity of Mosin Nagant Rifle Variations" page. That is 5, with 10 being highest and 1 being lowest. It is gratifying that I pulled up something that probably has some collector's value, as well as being a beautiful and completely original shooter.

I've bought numerous Nagants with perfect bores. Probably the most desirable was a 1925 Tula hex receiver with good wood, arsenal refinished. It's so nice I'll likely never shoot it, barring an emergency. I bet some commisar owned it and it never saw battle. Paid $84 at Big 5 for it

Good luck finding a Mosin of that quality or rarity nowadays. I hope to see you out* there somewhere shooting one of these beautiful old firearms.

Last Edited:
Good luck finding a Mosin of that quality or rarity nowadays. I hope to see you out* there somewhere shooting one of these beautiful old firearms.

I have 3 Big 5 stores near me and although I haven't visited in search of a Nagant in a while I bet there are still some goodies out there to be found. The key is being able to walk out sans gun if they have a bad batch. There were 17 million Nagants manufactured, and I do not believe they have dried up quite yet. The best condition Nagants are usually the M44 post war production.. I have several which are literally new except for stock dings from rough handling in storage/shipping

I do shoot some of my Nagants, BTW.. the less collectible ones..

I think you've been out of the market too long. I went to three Big 5s and that was the amount of time I was willing to spend on this. I'm happy with my rifle and consider it a "goodie".

And with that, I say to you, "Good Day, Sir!" :D

I think you've been out of the market too long. I went to three Big 5s and that was the amount of time I was willing to spend on this. I'm happy with my rifle and consider it a "goodie".

And with that, I say to you, "Good Day, Sir!" :D

Maybe I'll drop by a few of them and see what they currently have.. they come in, in waves so maybe this one is the dregs :D

You would love my collection. I plan to display them when we build our new home, as I will then have a large dojo/arms room. I will display all of them with their full kit, ready for issue, in a large wood rack. I even have a Finnish Nagant heavy barrel

I'm pretty sure that they are back to their normal price now. Take a look at the weekly ad: <broken link removed> You'll have to wait until the sale price circles around again. Unless you want to pay something like $179 or whatever they normally cost.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure that they are back to their normal price now. Take a look at the weekly ad: <broken link removed> You'll have to wait until the sale price circles around again. Unless you want to pay something like $179 or whatever they normally cost.

Good luck.

I simply ask my local guy at Big 5 to hold my selections in the back until the sales time comes around. He puts my name on them and they sit there until the next sale comes along. I know when that comes up because I get their mass-mailing fliers :D

We became buddies after I taught him how to hand select them for himself

A bit of a nit-picky point...With collectors, 'Nagant' is generally used to refer to a pistol, specifically the M95 7-shot Nagant revolver. 'Mosin' or 'Mosin-Nagant' refers to the variety of Russian 3-line rifles we are discussing here.

Regarding collectability, the ex-snipers don't command too much of a premium (as of yet) over a regular infantry rifle. Big 5 still prices them the same. A hex reciever is again usually just a bit of a premium over the round receivers, if at all. Tulas over Izhevsk etc. Surprisingly, even SA marked 91/30s aren't selling all that well right now either. Still, its worth the effort to look for them, as any of these groups will probably be a better investment in the long run over the regular wartime low-walled plain-jane Mosins.

Keith

Last Edited:
A bit of a nit-picky point...

With collectors, 'Nagant' is generally used to refer to a pistol, specifically the M95 7-shot Nagant revolver. 'Mosin' refers to the variety of Russian 3-line rifles we are discussing here.

Keith

Big 5 does not sell handguns so I'm sure we are not confusing anyone ;)

The http://7.62x54r.net/ page asserts that the ex-snipers do not have any value over plain 91/30's. I think that if you find an ex-sniper with a wood insert in the stock where the scope bracket should go, that would have some value over a normal 91/30, as it would seem to indicate that that was the original stock. Part of the cool thing about Big 5 is the fact that some of the guns that might have a greater collector's value over others are being sold at the same price. :D

The http://7.62x54r.net/ page asserts that the ex-snipers do not have any value over plain 91/30's. I think that if you find an ex-sniper with a wood insert in the stock where the scope bracket should go, that would have some value over a normal 91/30, as it would seem to indicate that that was the original stock. Part of the cool thing about Big 5 is the fact that some of the guns that might have a greater collector's value over others are being sold at the same price. :D

SSSSHHHHH !! :s0166:

Big 5 can be fun to wade through. Bundled with the regular rifles, you can find an ex-sniper, a hex receiver, or occasionaly some with nice laminated stocks. Be careful, though...so far no one has bought the 1928 hex-receivered PU :)laugh:) sniper at the local Moses Lake Big 5.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads