JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slimer13,

The background makes a difference if they are claiming to be something they aren't for the purposes of making money or claiming that there techniques were learned to taught some where they were not.

If I say "I learned this from so and so who is a SEAL" it lends more credibility to it than is warranted. That can potentially be dangerous if someone is training in a technique or method they believe is viable but is not.

At no point in time did I say combat experience is required. But with so many instructors out there BSing that they have applicable real life experience, there is obviously something to be said for real life practica experience.

Again, the purpose of this thread was to get information and hopefully be a resource for people looking for training. Ya'll seem to be much more keen on coming after me than you are on being helpful to others. That's pretty damn sad and pretty pathetic.

If you guys have your heads so far up your asses that you're willing to throw money into a class or for training put on by anyone that makes lofty claims, I feel sorry for you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with (as Mark said) researching before you buy.

Last time I saw a group of people get this defensive over something it was a group of high school girls. I'm dying laughing over here. If nothing else you guys provided some great entertainment for the night.

Slimer13,

The background makes a difference if they are claiming to be something they aren't for the purposes of making money or claiming that there techniques were learned to taught some where they were not.

If I say "I learned this from so and so who is a SEAL" it lends more credibility to it than is warranted. That can potentially be dangerous if someone is training in a technique or method they believe is viable but is not.

At no point in time did I say combat experience is required. But with so many instructors out there BSing that they have applicable real life experience, there is obviously something to be said for real life practica experience.

Again, the purpose of this thread was to get information and hopefully be a resource for people looking for training. Ya'll seem to be much more keen on coming after me than you are on being helpful to others. That's pretty damn sad and pretty pathetic.

If you guys have your heads so far up your asses that you're willing to throw money into a class or for training put on by anyone that makes lofty claims, I feel sorry for you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with (as Mark said) researching before you buy.

Last time I saw a group of people get this defensive over something it was a group of high school girls. I'm dying laughing over here. If nothing else you guys provided some great entertainment for the night.
I think most people are not sure what the intention of the thread was/is. To some, it seemed like you joined the board just to troll people and then you would throw up your own Delta Ranger Squirrel class about how to VBSS a boomer. I dunno if that was your intent or not, but that's what I see as the reaction from most of these guys. If your intent is to make a, "Who gotten a good experience from X instructor" thread, then make a new thread and state that specific goal in the opening post. If that's not your intention I think you would get a more positive response if you made it more clear what the intent of this thread is.

I made it pretty clear I wasn't trying to plug any class when someone made that comment. I made my intentions pretty clear overall in the first post. People jumped me for it and no one has yet to ever address my initial question except Mark, and that was very brief. People for their panties in a wad over it. It's pretty clear where people's heads are at.

It's not even so much "did you have a good experience", people can have a good experience on the range just about any time. It was more a "do you feel the training was worth while and applicable" and "do you feel the instructor lived up to their claims, if any".

Again though, people just chose to jump me for saying there are a lot of bullbubblegum instructors out there, and there are. They want to get pissy about it, that's their problem. Says a lot more about them then it does about me. Not that I'm a bubbleguming Saint.

I made it pretty clear I wasn't trying to plug any class when someone made that comment. I made my intentions pretty clear overall in the first post. People jumped me for it and no one has yet to ever address my initial question except Mark, and that was very brief. People for their panties in a wad over it. It's pretty clear where people's heads are at.

It's not even so much "did you have a good experience", people can have a good experience on the range just about any time. It was more a "do you feel the training was worth while and applicable" and "do you feel the instructor lived up to their claims, if any".

Again though, people just chose to jump me for saying there are a lot of bullbubblegum instructors out there, and there are. They want to get pissy about it, that's their problem. Says a lot more about them then it does about me. Not that I'm a bubbleguming Saint.
Well, I can tell you I personally didn't get that from your opening post. To me, your post seemed to say, "I have experience. Lots of people claim they have experience, but are fake. How many people do you know are fake?" According to your last post that wasn't how you intended to come off, but given the responses it seems like many people read it that way. Shrug. Regardless, welcome to the board. I've found that the more mellow I am, the more positive the community is in response. You should come out to the Tillamook Cleanup next Saturday. Then you can meet other members and have a good time.

Slimer13,

I couldn't possibly care less what some one wants to wear. You're making some pretty ignorant and baseless comments. Only time it is going to bug me is when someone is claiming a background, training, or experience that they don't actually have. As I have already stated, that is unfortunately a big issue when it comes to firearms training. Even just in our area.

Again though, at no point in time did I claim an instructor actually has to be some kind of operator or military. There are plenty of knowledgeable and intelligent firearms instructors that are straight 100% civilian. Yet for some reason some of those guys choose to claim that the were prior SF/Delta/SEAL or whatever. Why? Because they feel it gives them more credibility. I wonder why...

Well, I can tell you I personally didn't get that from your opening post. To me, your post seemed to say, "I have experience. Lots of people claim they have experience, but are fake. How many people do you know are fake?" According to your last post that wasn't how you intended to come off, but given the responses it seems like many people read it that way. Shrug. Regardless, welcome to the board. I've found that the more mellow I am, the more positive the community is in response. You should come out to the Tillamook Cleanup next Saturday. Then you can meet other members and have a good time.

Based on the past couple hours of this discussion, I don't have an overwhelming desire to meet many of the members. The only "experience" I claimed was in regards to the fact that there are a lot of instructors that make claims that don't add up when you have similar experience or even enough experience to read between the lines on some of their claims.

My question for you DC is why are you looking at training when you obviously all ready know it all? Are you looking for a job, if so your people skills are lacking.

Based on the past couple hours of this discussion, I don't have an overwhelming desire to meet many of the members. The only "experience" I claimed was in regards to the fact that there are a lot of instructors that make claims that don't add up when you have similar experience or even enough experience to read between the lines on some of their claims.
And somehow you think we don't know that? You think we don't have that same experience that allows us to sort the sheep from the goats? Try not coming off as superior and condescending. You might get a positive reaction instead of people assuming you're a blowhard. If you came here just to troll and create drama you're doing a good job. If you want to start over and actually ask what our experiences are with various instructors, and show some respect for people you've never met, and whose backgrounds you don't know, then maybe we can have a reasonable conversation. Otherwise, I'll have another entry on my "ignore" list.

"Cognitive infiltration is a term to refer to the use of government and third party "cognitive" provocateurs to "infiltrate" social networks, other online groups, and "real life" groups.

1. COINTELPRO Techniques for dilution, misdirection and control of a internet forum

2. Twenty-Five Rules of Disinformation

3. Eight Traits of the Disinformationalist

4. How to Spot a Spy (Cointelpro Agent)

5. Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression
<broken link removed>

:s0140:

Slimer13,

Calm down Blackwater you can be opr8tr 2 kai?

You are so full of bubblegum man. You have never posted in this community, you didn't even bother to introduce yourself. You jumped right in and bashed people , instructors, courses etc. and went on to explain how "elite" you are with your 13 years service and DoD contracting and how you can access public records and find out information about people who are instructors and blah blah blah blah .

You literally made a post asking if anyone has vetted instructors that they are discussing and then went on to talk down to everyone.

You walked in, pissed on the floor and then get mad that no one jumped to clean it up and offer you a beer?

You think the men and women in this community are unaware that the sudden upsurge in folks offering "tactical training" is riddled with posers and dubious credentials? Check the threads, its been discussed. How about you stop insulting everyone's intelligence for a second, stop going on and on and on about how cool you are and how you vet people and how blah blah blah.

There are more than a few actual shooters in this community. Some are current and retired LEO's, some are Military Vets and current Military, some are long time hunters and outdoorsmen, some have never held a gun some are many parts of the above at different degrees.

Does everyone need the same training? No.

Some people just want a single handgun for home defense. Is that ok? Are they not operator enough if they only take a few basic marksmanship classes?

Is that not decent training because the instructor never fast roped out of a Helo in the middle of the desert in order to assassinate a high value target?

Does everyone need opr8tr level 13 year military DoD contractor secret squirrel ninja master training? No.

Is there value in all training? Yes. Even poor training teaches those who are paying attention about what NOT to do.

Relax man.

:s0140:

Calm down Blackwater you can be opr8tr 2 kai?

You are so full of bubblegum man. You have never posted in this community, you didn't even bother to introduce yourself. You jumped right in and bashed people , instructors, courses etc. and went on to explain how "elite" you are with your 13 years service and DoD contracting and how you can access public records and find out information about people who are instructors and blah blah blah blah .

You literally made a post asking if anyone has vetted instructors that they are discussing and then went on to talk down to everyone.

You walked in, pissed on the floor and then get mad that no one jumped to clean it up and offer you a beer?

You think the men and women in this community are unaware that the sudden upsurge in folks offering "tactical training" is riddled with posers and dubious credentials? Check the threads, its been discussed. How about you stop insulting everyone's intelligence for a second, stop going on and on and on about how cool you are and how you vet people and how blah blah blah.

There are more than a few actual shooters in this community. Some are current and retired LEO's, some are Military Vets and current Military, some are long time hunters and outdoorsmen, some have never held a gun some are many parts of the above at different degrees.

Does everyone need the same training? No.

Some people just want a single handgun for home defense. Is that ok? Are they not operator enough if they only take a few basic marksmanship classes?

Is that not decent training because the instructor never fast roped out of a Helo in the middle of the desert in order to assassinate a high value target?

Does everyone need opr8tr level 13 year military DoD contractor secret squirrel ninja master training? No.

Is there value in all training? Yes. Even poor training teaches those who are paying attention about what NOT to do.

Relax man.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top