JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's becoming more and more clear to me that I pretty much suck with my handguns :oops:. Regardless of pistol, I shoot everything left, and I must be correcting my corrections, because even after making a correction, I still shoot left. So I've decided it's time to get some professional help. Problem is, I live in the boondocks, and I'm a full time caregiver for a disabled wife, so being away from home for more than a day is a non-starter. So does anyone know of a good instructor within an hour or so of the Methow Valley? Thanks!

Dave

cerberus-training

They are a supporting vendor on this site too. :)

I know they are further than an hour from you, but if you have an RV and want to do a "camping" weekend, the haul might be good. You get to "camp" and train at the same time.

I want to take a few "camping" and training weekends next year. :s0155:

It's becoming more and more clear to me that I pretty much suck with my handguns :oops:. Regardless of pistol, I shoot everything left, and I must be correcting my corrections, because even after making a correction, I still shoot left. So I've decided it's time to get some professional help. Problem is, I live in the boondocks, and I'm a full time caregiver for a disabled wife, so being away from home for more than a day is a non-starter. So does anyone know of a good instructor within an hour or so of the Methow Valley? Thanks!

Dave

You tube videos from Bob Vogel on grip, or Sage Dynamics, or similar + thousands and thousands of rounds of dry fire, along with grip training and some basic strength training will get you a order of magnitude improvement.

You tube videos from Bob Vogel on grip, or Sage Dynamics, or similar + thousands and thousands of rounds of dry fire, along with grip training and some basic strength training will get you a order of magnitude improvement.
+1 ^ this.
Ive taken a course here and there but Ive also watched videos and just put rounds down range and found its simply practice that makes one better. Learn the tips, implement them and you'll be good to go in no time!

The cost of a class equals out to enough boxes of ammo that you'll have time to work out the kinks. Usually 4-6 boxes with slow controlled fire (if you're starting from scratch) and you should be on target.

This chart is invaluable as is a dry fire system. Perfect sight, breathing and trigger control via dry fire then out to the range for live fire, using the basics that have been mastered...

0436D547-84B1-4B2B-AB70-810ABD29EFFC.jpeg

This chart is invaluable as is a dry fire system. Perfect sight, breathing and trigger control via dry fire then out to the range for live fire, using the basics that have been mastered...

View attachment 518165

Do some digging and I think you'll find most of the top trainers and shooters consider this chart worse than useless, with the possible exception of strictly Bullseye shooters. Trust me, if this was the answer, I'd be shooting Expert already :rolleyes:.

As to lots more practice, yes, that's a for sure. But practice only makes perfect if it's perfect practice, and at this point, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'd bet that that's what I'm practicing. Like many things, native talent or aptitude only gets you so far, but "a man's got to know his limitations", and there comes a time when you have to admit to yourself that you need outside help to get you out of your own way. I hit this same wall playing golf, but rather than getting help, I just quit playing golf. I DON'T want to quit shooting :D.

If videos work for someone, more power to them, but for me, they're no substitute for a live instructor watching what you're doing, or not doing, and making corrections in real time.

Not trying to be a jerk, guys, I truly appreciate the suggestions. But I know myself pretty well, and I know I'm at a point where I really need that live, outside pair of eyes to get me back on track. Later.

Dave

Not out of the question, I have a travel trailer I could use as a bunkhouse, but the wife would have zero interest in going along, only to be stuck in the trailer for a couple of days, and finding a minder while I'd be gone is a challenge. But it's definitely something I'll be looking into more, the price certainly looks reasonable, and a couple of the classes look like exactly what I need. So it's likely to come down to scheduling, when will they offer the classes I want, and will it be at a time I can get away. Nothing's ever easy, is it :confused:? Later, and thanks to all.

Dave

Ouch...my ears were a burnin'!

Dave, would like to help you out. I do a lot of "reliability" training with shooters. That being showing them how to get rid of bad habits such as flinch and/or poor trigger press and others.

If you can put a few people together, I can travel to you...or let me know what class(es) you're looking at and will see if we can coordinate a date that works for you on my range.

Not out of the question, I have a travel trailer I could use as a bunkhouse, but the wife would have zero interest in going along, only to be stuck in the trailer for a couple of days, and finding a minder while I'd be gone is a challenge. But it's definitely something I'll be looking into more, the price certainly looks reasonable, and a couple of the classes look like exactly what I need. So it's likely to come down to scheduling, when will they offer the classes I want, and will it be at a time I can get away. Nothing's ever easy, is it :confused:? Later, and thanks to all.

Dave

leave the wife at home to go shopping! :p:D

There just isnt anyone teaching in that area. Your best bet is to find a local range, and ask for referrals for private instructors. There are several world class shooters in the Puget sound area that teach, but they are further than an hour. FAS in centralia is one of the best fire arm schools in the area. Is getting an hotel an option?

Ouch...my ears were a burnin'!

Dave, would like to help you out. I do a lot of "reliability" training with shooters. That being showing them how to get rid of bad habits such as flinch and/or poor trigger press and others.

If you can put a few people together, I can travel to you...or let me know what class(es) you're looking at and will see if we can coordinate a date that works for you on my range.

How many is a few? And what sort of facility would you need? Any difference in fees from what's published on your site? This could be a real possibility, I have several friends in the area that might be interested.

As to classes I'm interested in, your Foundation class for sure, I feel a need to pretty much restart with the fundamentals. After that, your Run the Gun class sounds like an obvious choice. Just looking for handgun training at this point, tried the AR thing, was fun, but just not my thing. Appreciate your time.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads