JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man, are you guys so lucky! You get to have fun and adventures with your two best little buddies, amd learn and grow together, not just as a family, but as best friends! The whole world is your playground, everything is open for discussion and considerations, and what wonderful adventures await you!
Knowing you guys, love is a very important part of this great experience, dont hold any of it back. Short attention spans are the norm right now, so little things, or short "visits" are the rule of the day, bit cram in as many as you can!
Watching to wonderment and excitement of learning new and wonderful things is one of lifes greatest gifts, and certainly a fathers ( and Mothers) greatest pride, so, do well at it! Challenge each other, make it a game, go places and see and do as many things as you can, build memories!
Get a big Dog, dogs teach so much about being a good person, and few words are needed to teach those lessons! Dogs make a great learning partner, eapecially if you get one as a puppy, kids and puppies are made for each other! Dogs are also a great guardian amd protector, something kids need!
Build a canoe together, and go have adventures on the water! Fishing, camping, hunting, exploring, many many adventures await just the other side of that lake, or across the river, the other far shore!
Go hike up a mountain just to see whats in the other side!

Life is far to short to spend in doors or in a class room, get out into the wilds and learn all that those little minds can!

I sure do miss those days when my sons were that age, but i have the fond memories, and those two are still my best buddies and lifes fellow adventures!

Thanks all for the thoughts and kindness. Much appreciated.

Tangential question; would anyone know of a science-focused places for child-aged folks in Eugene or Medford? I doubt there is much in the way here in this podunk, but those cities are within a day trip distance. Thanks much. :)

+1 on the magnifying glass, followed shortly by the Computer linked microscope. Telescope, magnets, fire starting and archery per Andy, Bionicles, projects like cardboard framed aluminum foil covered solar dish that can boil water, electrify a pickle(when a little older with supervision)

Nothing beats a dirt hole with a garden hose at that age!

Tangential question; would anyone know of a science-focused places for child-aged folks in Eugene or Medford? I doubt there is much in the way here in this podunk, but those cities are within a day trip distance. Thanks much. :)
Go to your local city or county library. Most library's have tons of resources on places and events for kiddos. County libraries even have passes and such available.

My tiny library has lots of information on local places to visit. I didn't know there was a space and airplane museum in McMinnville, till I snatched a brochure from the library, now it's on the list to take the kiddo. They also have weekly storytelling time where there is always a theme, this week they learned about wind.

I drove by the Rice Museum (rocks and minerals not rice) for years not knowing what it was, the library had information and such on it so we decided to check it out.

Sadly, No!
If you were to make a trip to Portlandia, there is both O.M.S.I, the Children's Museum, and now the Historical Train Museum ( just a few blocks up from OMSI)
Sadly, all are in Portland, but...........
As a kid, all three are above and beyond super cool places of wonderment!
Then there is Oaks Park, not to far south, again, a super duper fun place for kids to be kids! Old school wood floor roller skating rink complete with pipe organ, old school amusement park rides, and a neat park to enjoy right on the river!

Put some dog poo in a paper bag, put it on someone's porch, set it on fire, ring the doorbell and run like hell...wait, you said science...never mind. :D
LOL, my Wife still thinks I am making it up when I mention doing this as a kid. She grew up leading a sheltered life and often is just sure I am trying to pull one over on her when I talk about some of our exploits as kids. :D:D:D

When a kid I was forever into anything hands on. Had a couple of the old Chemistry sets and books. Parents probably had no idea how lucky they were I never blew anything up :s0140:
Couple telescopes, lots of fun. Microscope made a HUGE hit with me. One Chem. teacher told us how to make a smoke bomb with a timer in class. He got fired when they started going off at school but, he got the attention of many of the boys in his class with stuff like that:s0140:. Another Chem Teacher showed us how to make Hydrogen and Oxygen side by side into soapy water. So he could scoop out a bunch and set it off with a torch. That one only kept his job because the stuff to do what he did was too expensive for us to do at home. We would have caused some real problems and probably have gotten someone hurt. Damn it did not get even kids like me who paid zero attention to actually like class.

Sadly, No!
If you were to make a trip to Portlandia, there is both O.M.S.I, the Children's Museum, and now the Historical Train Museum ( just a few blocks up from OMSI)
Sadly, all are in Portland, but...........
As a kid, all three are above and beyond super cool places of wonderment!
Then there is Oaks Park, not to far south, again, a super duper fun place for kids to be kids! Old school wood floor roller skating rink complete with pipe organ, old school amusement park rides, and a neat park to enjoy right on the river!
I geeked out more at OMSI than my son did, though he is still quite young.

The tour of the USS Blueback was my favorite part. I want to take that tour at least two to three more times.

The Blueback was used for parts of the film Hunt For Red October by the way. If your a film geek.

I've never been to either of those places but they popped up on a google search. I love the Cascade Raptor Center: Cascades Raptor Center, Eugene Oregon | CascadesRaptorCenter.org

There are two book series, out of print since the mid-2000s, that really used to rock for travel planning: the Smithsonian Guide to Historic America and the Smithsonian Guide to Natural America.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top