JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be getting a new/real safe, finally! It's most likely going to be a mid size, 20 gun or so. I will be putting this in my back bedroom, on carpet. Questions would be, have any others put their safes on carpet? Should I use couple of boards/runners of some kind to keep the safe from just sitting flat on the carpet. The carpet is a cut plush. Considering the safe will be in the 450# neighborhood I'm not to hot to get it bolted down right away, if at all. If/when I do bolt it down I was thinking I'd use something like 1/2" lag screws, there's less than 3' in the crawl space under the house in that area, and go through the carpet/flooring and into the sub-flooring.

I'm going to need to hire someone to get the safe from the back of my truck to the house, down the hall and into the corner of the bedroom. From the driveway there's three steps up to the walk, about thirty feet, then four steps, then into the house. Any idea of how much this ought to cost? Recommendations? I did picked up a card at Fisherman's of a company called OPA that I haven't called yet for an estimate, maybe today I'll get to it.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Mike

I have a safe slightly larger than what you mention. It was bolted down before I put any guns in it. While it "shouldn't" tip over, I was taking no chances.
Mine has been sitting on carpet since day one. Not a problem. It squishes everything under it all the same.

Hey I'll help move it! That rug will make it easier to move it back out of the house when you're gone
I had a nice 30 gun safe years back,sitting in my mom's garage.She move to a alzheimer home and we sold the house so I needed to move it again.
I put it into my truck by myself,with come a longs not brute strength.lol. And then I unloaded it when I got to the other end.
Because of the nice finish on safes,the can be made to slide fairly easy.Plus it will compact the rug pretty bad,too
I just wouldn't give anyone any advantage in stealing my safe

Pretty much you just need a furniture/appliance dolly. You would be amazed at how well it moves even the largest safe (to an extent).
That and a buddy or two.

Shoot, some beers and firearm talk is all Id need to help. :) im sure your buddies will do the same.

The carpet makes for easy moving once in the house using tarps or blankets etc.

One of my safes was around 500+ lbs.. we just rented a moving truck, I was surprised that the loading ramp took the weight. We just strapped it to the dolly and moved it ourselves.

Since you haven't gotten your safe yet, you want one that's larger than you think you need now. The bigger the better. You'll be surprised how full it gets really fast. You'll be surprised by the stuff that finds its way into your safe, and not necessarily guns either. I bet no one on this forum will say, "Gee, I sure wish my safe was smaller". Think of it like this: It's just like having to much ammo. There's no such thing. :s0010:

Having said that, you won't regret putting getting it up off the floor a bit and bolting it down properly. FWIW here's how I did mine: The safe sits on three layers of 1" plywood I had left over from building my reloading bench, 3/4" x 8" bolts through the bottom of the safe (obviously), the plywood I mentioned, then the floor and subfloor (got lucky, went right between the joists) then through a 3/8" steel plate I predrilled using the bottom of the safe as a template. A little surprised it worked in the crawls space under the house but using our cell phones to communicate, the wife held the wrench inside the safe as I tightened the hell out of the locking nuts. Needless to say, the safe is solid as a rock. It's going to take someone very, very determined to move it let alone steal it. :s0114:

You can do what you want, but IMHO it's probably not a good idea to use lag screws. :s0154: Pulling, or pushing on the top of the safe creates a tremendous mechanical advantage that will in my opinion overcome the grip the threads of the lag screws (or bolts) have.

It comes down to what your objective is as to how far you want to go. Who are you trying to keep out of your safe? Tweekers? Professional burglars or thieves or just kids who may wonder into the room? In any event, you won't regret getting it up off the floor a bit. :s0155:

Great that you are getting a safe!! I hope you bought bigger than you think you need/want. Its a good problem to have an empty rack in the safe rather than trying to decide which gun to get rid of later. I would also strongly suggest securing it to the floor. It doesn't take much force to knock over a tall 450 pound safe and then slide it around on carpet. You will confirm that out when you move it in. I was able to push my 1100 pound safe around my garage on my own. Don't invite anyone over to help that you don't want knowing where it is and how to move it.

Agree with the posts above;) Get bigger than what you think you will need as you will fill it up no matter what you think. And yes things other than guns can go in there as in important papers and also the wifes jewelry.

When it comes to bolting them down I agree with the bolt system and also a steel plate if you can find one.

Last when moving a safe as mentioned a good dolly and a few friends is all you need. Only took me and one other guy to get mine out of the truck and move it in place.

Good luck!

When I bought mine one of my buddies had a handtruck that was like an appliance dolly except it had a "kick stand" with wheels. Since it had the strap like an appliance dolly, we tied it on and rocked. The only problem came when we had to go over the threshold of the front door, about a 6" step up over a wooden threshold. My friend and I couldn't quite do it, but the neighbor came over and the three of us got it up and over. I believe my safe is 550 lbs. Other than that obstacle, it was pretty easy. But I didn't have to maneuver it too far. It's in the front room. Small houses have few options.
I can appreciate the thoughts of using bolts and a steel plate to back it up, but I used Lag bolts. Most safes have holes through the back as well as the bottom. Use all that you can.

I have a safe about the same weight. I unloaded it off my truck, and moved it to where it is now(bedroom) all by myself. It took some effort but it was kinda simple. I wouldn't have done it without an appliance handtruck. The safe is on carpet not bolted and I'm pretty confident it wont tip over. I don't see the need to bolt it down on wooden floors...

Have fun!

"Since you haven't gotten your safe yet, you want one that's larger than you think you need now. The bigger the better. You'll be surprised how full it gets really fast. You'll be surprised by the stuff that finds its way into your safe, and not necessarily guns either. I bet no one on this forum will say, "Gee, I sure wish my safe was smaller". Think of it like this: It's just like having to much ammo. There's no such thing. :s0010:"

+1000 just like when you build a garage or shop!!!!!
Go big of get out the checkbook!!!

Three good sized safes just about does it.
Between the guns, ammo, mags, important documents and all the other little stuff that can't be easily replaced (baby pictures & video's, jewelry, etc) one safe can't hold it all.

Thank guys....And don't be a thinkin' I've been keeping fire arms stashed in the bottom of the closet! I've got a Stack On 10 gun bolted through floor, that I'll keep for minor security purposes.

This safe will be well bigger than what I have now, of course who wouldn't want a safe like a "spare guest room", but money is an issue.

As far as bolting through floor and moving the safe myself, not going to happen with my physical conditions. Getting to the bolts on the other cabinet is part of the reason I'm messed up now, and the crawl space has even LESS height under where I'm putting the new one.

Mike

You could lag bolt it through the back of the safe into a couple of studs. Then seal up the bolt heads with flame seal fire caulking to preserve the fire rating.

Yeah I can see not bolting it down.Then when someone wraps the chain around it an d pulls it through a window/wall it won't hurt the floor where the safe was.
Out of sight out of mind.Put your safes where no one can even see them.

On a similar thread a couple of years ago, a guy described how he came home and found some 3/4" pvc pipe laid down on his carpet like railroad tracks that were running from his bedroom all the way out to his garage.
He didn't bolt his safe down either.
The thieves just yanked the safe out of his closet, onto it's back and pushed it along the pvc pipe and into a truck that was backed into the garage.
His house alarm went off, but they were gone in less then 10 minutes.

opplanet-browning-safes-6-panel-security-door-16039581.jpg

Browning Safes Security Door

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top