Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Install AR-15 flash hider

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by spengo, Aug 22, 2009.

1. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Hello. I recently removed the flash hider of my AR-15 for cleaning. I was stupid and didn't realize they used crush washers or peel washers or whatever. I thought I could just unscrew it and screw it back on when I was done, heheh... :eek: Anyway, where can I buy a new crush washer and how should I put it back on properly? Thanks!

2. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

3. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

ive re-used crush and peel washers. its best to replace, but if you don't have a replacement, re-using is better than having an incomplete weapon for two weeks.

the crush washers have some degree of spring to them.. sometimes you can even correctly index with the same washer. the peel washers can almost always be re-used.

4. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I think clips-n=stuff in albany has some crush washers in stock.

5. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

I bet the Security Store has em in Hillsboro. Might be a good place to call.

6. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Thanks all! I'll check out those stores too. I tried re-using the one that's on there already, but it just works itself loose with lots of shooting. Mine is a peel washer. Perhaps I should wrench it on tighter?

7. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

If you use an A1 style you dont have to time it like you do with a A2.... just wrench it tight and leave it.