JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you participate in an NWFA 80% Lower group-buy?

• Yes, sign me up!

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Maybe, depends... (please explain in comment)

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No thanks, not interested.

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
Ladies and Gents, inspired by the CA "ghost gun ban" I just thought it might be worth opening up a discussion to see about organizing an NWFA Group Buy. I'm generally more an "idea man" and "data gatherer" than "executive/manager" but thought maybe if I threw the idea out and raised the right questions here, maybe if Joe Link approves we could reach out to some manufacturers and see what we can do--possibly even use this to help fund the site a little.

1. The thought: I had envisioned, if this became an official NWFA Member Event, maybe having the NWFA logo custom-etched/engraved/whatever on the blanks.

2. Pre-engraved C/N's/other markings: Some EPL manufacturers like Tennessee Arms offer pre-engraved up-to-10-digit serials, so I was thinking maybe limit to a thousand with serials having an "NWFA16-" prefix and the last four being varied. Worth including, or save the vanity serials for a "live" group-buy through one of our FFL affiliates someday? (Also, as Brutus points out below, NWFA logoing would be a similar Yay or Nay question.)

3. Platform: We know most of the EPL industry started around the AR15, AK and 1911. Would we want to focus exclusively on the AR, or to add a second option?

4. Manufacturers: If you had your pick of three preferred EPL manufacturers you'd want to buy from first, and one or two you'd throw the Avoid At All Cost flag on, which would they be?

5. Material: Would you insist on an all-metal lower, or is a metal-reinforced-polymer "hybrid" like Tennessee Arms acceptable?

6. Cost: This varies a fair amount between metal, polymer and hybrid lowers, further complicated by the presence or absence of jigs as some poly and hybrid makers provide. For example, Tennessee Arms's hybrid is $110 with jig, $75 without.

@Joe Link @bolus I'd particularly appreciate any thoughts you two might have if such an idea is worth looking into. I don't have the cash resources or space to act as "central receiving and distribution," but I'm willing to contribute the effort where my skills allow (as I said, research and data gathering).

Last Edited:
Brutus, I operate on the assumption that if you have a CPL or have ever filled out a 4473 you're already on "The List". For some of us homebuilding is less about "ghosting" than tossing the other team a visible public flipoff like some of the militants of the gay community did to the more tradition-minded with their "we're here, we're queer and we're here to stay" demonstrations... :)

Safe bet that the WA and OR "authorities" already know all about this site anyway, as evidenced by a Corvallis PD detective reaching out to us for help with a case. :)

Good point, though... that's another poll question to add, but the boardware only lets me ask one. Will edit OP to add it. :)

I serial number all my home built guns. Hell I put the serial numbers on my 80% lowers before I even get them machined. Brutus how is putting your number on your firearm for your records is "risky"? I think its risky to NOT put a serial number on them. I want to be able to identify it as mine and in my case I do it to show when it was built in relationship to others. I have done maybe a dozen 80% AR lowers, they start with 0001 :)

Even in this case it would just mean its one of a group that was sold to members here.

I dont really feel excited about having a special NWFA lower. Its a clever idea and it would be neat to have a group shoot of guys with NWFA 80% guns but.... It just does not make me warm and fuzzy inside. :D

Diamondback: There are lists and there are lists. Being on one doesn't mean volunteering to go on another. AWB comes??????? Youbetcha they will spend the time with a tech nerd to find this sort of thing and track it to the end. Think about the time they have spent trying to get social media info after terrorists do their evil thang. A couple of times in my life I had to account to the US government every country I visited and every week of my life where I lived since childhood. Those days of volunteering that sort of stuff about me are gone. Not being snarky at all, simply speaking my thought process. I dig the idea, but I don't want to make confiscation any easier for them when the time comes. Because what you are suggesting is what? Illegal in 6 states now? and counting.

Brutus Out

Last Edited:
Brutus, I operate on the assumption that if you have a CPL or have ever filled out a 4473 you're already on "The List". For some of us homebuilding is less about "ghosting" than tossing the other team a visible public flipoff like some of the militants of the gay community did to the more tradition-minded with their "we're here, we're queer and we're here to stay" demonstrations... :)

Safe bet that the WA and OR "authorities" already know all about this site anyway, as evidenced by a Corvallis PD detective reaching out to us for help with a case. :)

Good point, though... that's another poll question to add, but the boardware only lets me ask one. Will edit OP to add it. :)
I personally would be concerned about a specific piece, not my name. I'm not hard to find - I'm on several lists, some voluntarily. Not all of my firearms are. One reason for a group buy of an 80% reciever, for me anyway, is that I'm going to give away or sell a few of them. I'll probably pay by credit card, and I'm sure that some federal agency is already tracking these types of purchases. If I give a few away or sell them for cash, tracing gets a lot harder. The Libertarian streak in me really wants to send some of them out where they can't be easily found, before Hillary wins and stacks the Supreme Court. Call me a romantic. Fly, my little receiver-to-be, fly. :)

Diamondback: There are lists and there are lists. Being on one doesn't mean volunteering to go on another. AWB comes??????? Youbetcha they will spend the time with a tech nerd to find this sort of thing and track it to the end. Think about the time they have spent trying to get social media info after terrorists do their evil thang. A couple of times in my life I had to account to the US government every country I visited and every week of my life where I lived. Those days of volunteering that sort of stuff about me are gone. Not being snarky at all, simply speaking my thought process. I dig the idea, but I don't want to make confiscation any easier for them when the time comes. Because what you are suggesting is what? Illegal in 6 states now? and counting.

Brutus Out
+1
Geez, I could have just waited for you to post and saved myself all of that typing.

I imagine the reason most people go the 80% lower route is to keep them off the books, so I agree with those here that an NWFA logo would likely be unwanted on one of those.

However, I would love a few stripped lowers with our logo, and I've thought about it many times. Anyone know what it takes, or who we might contact to make that happen?

I imagine the reason most people go the 80% lower route is to keep them off the books, so I agree with those here that an NWFA logo would likely be unwanted on one of those.

However, I would love a few stripped lowers with our logo, and I've thought about it many times. Anyone know what it takes, or who we might contact to make that happen?

Maybe a bulk buy of inexpensive lowers, then check with @NWCustomFirearms to see about having them engraved? Maybe a little discount if done in bulk? Looks like he does pretty nice work.

I'd probably be down for one of those.

Shoot me a message Joe and we can talk. Engraving the same thing on bulk lowers is easy and we can defiantly work something out.

Maybe a bulk buy of inexpensive lowers, then check with @NWCustomFirearms to see about having them engraved? Maybe a little discount if done in bulk? Looks like he does pretty nice work.

I'd probably be down for one of those.
Yes we do offer discounts for bulk engravings especially if we are engraving the same thing over and over again since it is basically only one setup. Just let me know when you are ready and I will help out where I can, besides, I wouldn't mind having one of these lowers as well :)

Good to see a plan coming together on the "Complete" side. :) Next thing there would be finding an OR-side FFL to work with NWCF for the southern part of our community...

OK, now that we've worked out a possible hookup on Ready To Builds, since the preference for "no markings of any kind" has been established... what would the preferences be on a bulk-buy for EPL's? For simplicity's sake I think we can assume AR15 only, so that takes it down to just the questions of budget, materials and Thumbs Up/Down on various suppliers.

Good to see a plan coming together on the "Complete" side. :) Next thing there would be finding an OR-side FFL to work with NWCF for the southern part of our community...

OK, now that we've worked out a possible hookup on Ready To Builds, since the preference for "no markings of any kind" has been established... what would the preferences be on a bulk-buy for EPL's? For simplicity's sake I think we can assume AR15 only, so that takes it down to just the questions of budget, materials and Thumbs Up/Down on various suppliers.

Wait, are you still talking about 80% lowers? If so, why would we need an FFL? No FFL necessary on those.

etrain16, we're talking about two different things. Joe and NWCustom are working on completes (which is where I was referring to about needing OR and maybe ID FFL's in the mix), and I'm still trying to gather data to try for a bulk-discount on 80%s.

One thread, two separate projects, in fact I'm tempted to suggest that "NWFA Custom Full Lowers" be split off to a new thread as the "junior" half of the discussion to reduce such confusion. :)

Ok, that clears it up some! I was confused as well, but thought we were still on the 80% deal! Both options would be cool! Might also be kind of fun to have a "Build Course" where folks could get together and share the experience of building from a 80% frame! This gets into a grey area, but I think it could be worked around!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top