Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Inslee signs bill for registry of gun offenders

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by BigStick, May 9, 2013.

1. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

So what do you guys think about this? I have mixed feelings. I don't like the idea of comparing gun ownership to sexual deviancy, but then this isn't about ownership. It is a database of people who have already commited crimes using weapons. I would like to know a little more about what "gun crimes" qualify you to be put on this list.

Inslee signs bill for registry of gun offenders | www.kirotv.com

2. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

The specifics don't really matter with (e) in there. It just means any felony by someone who was armed at the time whether a firearm felony or not.

That last one will probably scare some of the extremely paranoid so I'll add this:

3. kumabear17

kumabear17 Issaquah Active Member

I have always been curious about two issues regarding this felony gun database:
    (1) I always thought when the police stopped someone they could already radio in and ask for info regarding prior arrests. Seems gun related crimes would be at the top of the list. Isn't there a National Criminal Database already maintained by the FBI?
    (2) Who is going to pay for the creation and maintenance of this new database? Are there new sources they plan to draw the data from? Is this just a new boondoggle way to justify some draconian tax on gun and ammo purchasers to pay for?
    Butch

4. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

What possible purpose does this serve other than to spend money? It's not like the cops don't know your record with a radio call.

And why are we wasting time with this crap when 1st Degree unlawful possession of a firearm is used as a throwaway or receives MAYBE one year punishment -sometimes?

This is just so wrong-headed. We don't punish violent felons caught with guns. It's a rare case when we do and the MAXIMUM sentence (Which I've never EVER heard of being given) isn't that big a deal (6 years IIRC). I see these charges brought and either plead away or receiving 30-days or 90-days in county. That's not even remotely a deterrent.

This is more expensive political theater so Inslee and the bill's authors can look like they're "doing something," while they ignore a slam dunk solution that would have a DRASTIC effect on street crime.

Start slamming violent felons in prison for 10 years without parole or probation for being caught with a firearm. I guarantee you'll have a massive effect. It's worked in other places when the feds have come in and done it.

kumabear17 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

I understand your sentiment, but maybe this will let them feel like they have accomplished "something" and leave the rest of the things they want to do, but we don't want them too alone?