JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So what do you guys think about this? I have mixed feelings. I don't like the idea of comparing gun ownership to sexual deviancy, but then this isn't about ownership. It is a database of people who have already commited crimes using weapons. I would like to know a little more about what "gun crimes" qualify you to be put on this list.

<broken link removed>

17 (8) "Felony firearm offense" means:
18 (a) Any felony offense that is a violation of chapter 9.41 RCW;
19 (b) A violation of RCW 9A.36.045;
20 (c) A violation of RCW 9A.56.300;
21 (d) A violation of RCW 9A.56.310;
22 (e) Any felony offense if the offender was armed with a firearm in
23 the commission of the offense.

The specifics don't really matter with (e) in there. It just means any felony by someone who was armed at the time whether a firearm felony or not.

RCW 9A.36.045

Drive-by shooting.

RCW 9A.56.300

Theft of a firearm

RCW 9A.56.310

Possessing a stolen firearm

That last one will probably scare some of the extremely paranoid so I'll add this:

RCW 9A.56.140

Possessing stolen property — Definition — Presumption.

(1) "Possessing stolen property" means knowingly to receive, retain, possess, conceal, or dispose of stolen property knowing that it has been stolen and to withhold or appropriate the same to the use of any person other than the true owner or person entitled thereto.

(2) The fact that the person who stole the property has not been convicted, apprehended, or identified is not a defense to a charge of possessing stolen property.

(3) When a person has in his or her possession, or under his or her control, stolen access devices issued in the names of two or more persons, or ten or more stolen merchandise pallets, or ten or more stolen beverage crates, or a combination of ten or more stolen merchandise pallets and beverage crates, as defined under RCW 9A.56.010, he or she is presumed to know that they are stolen.

(4) The presumption in subsection (3) of this section is rebuttable by evidence raising a reasonable inference that the possession of such stolen access devices, merchandise pallets, or beverage crates was without knowledge that they were stolen.

(5) In any prosecution for possessing stolen property, it is a sufficient defense that the property was merchandise pallets that were received by a pallet recycler or repairer in the ordinary course of its business.

I have always been curious about two issues regarding this felony gun database:
(1) I always thought when the police stopped someone they could already radio in and ask for info regarding prior arrests. Seems gun related crimes would be at the top of the list. Isn't there a National Criminal Database already maintained by the FBI?
(2) Who is going to pay for the creation and maintenance of this new database? Are there new sources they plan to draw the data from? Is this just a new boondoggle way to justify some draconian tax on gun and ammo purchasers to pay for?
Butch

What possible purpose does this serve other than to spend money? It's not like the cops don't know your record with a radio call.

And why are we wasting time with this crap when 1st Degree unlawful possession of a firearm is used as a throwaway or receives MAYBE one year punishment -sometimes?

This is just so wrong-headed. We don't punish violent felons caught with guns. It's a rare case when we do and the MAXIMUM sentence (Which I've never EVER heard of being given) isn't that big a deal (6 years IIRC). I see these charges brought and either plead away or receiving 30-days or 90-days in county. That's not even remotely a deterrent.

This is more expensive political theater so Inslee and the bill's authors can look like they're "doing something," while they ignore a slam dunk solution that would have a DRASTIC effect on street crime.

Start slamming violent felons in prison for 10 years without parole or probation for being caught with a firearm. I guarantee you'll have a massive effect. It's worked in other places when the feds have come in and done it.

I understand your sentiment, but maybe this will let them feel like they have accomplished "something" and leave the rest of the things they want to do, but we don't want them too alone?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top