JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So just the representative and senator that represents my voting district and the sponsors of the bill? I don't have much of an understanding for how it all works. Last year I contacted EVERYBODY. I don't know if that was overkill or not, It was time consuming. I don't mind, if that's whats needed.
It's pretty much a cr*pshoot who/whom you write to & when. My advice is to write to everyone involved and present LOGICAL alternatives or rational reasons to oppose a particular issue you'd like to challenge. There's the nay-sayers here that say your message is to long or to wordy or whatever..blah blah. Write what you feel as long as it's FACTUAL but do try to keep it from being a book.

Here's a prime example..Maureen Walsh (one of my reps) is sponsoring a modification to HB 2196 for 2020. Her version makes some changes to the existing ERPO law here in Wa. State. She's trying to soften the state ERPO's up a bit, even though I & a million others believe they're un-constitutional. As she's one of the sponsors, I wrote her and the other elected reps for my area with the changes I want besides what she wants. I didn't send it to every state rep as it's a pre-filed bill. But I did send it to my local & next door elected reps. It was rather lengthy as I had to dispute point by point fallacies in her 8 page bill.

Then there's this HB2241 BS that affects the whole damn state by inslee and ferguson. Read it any way you want but it's nothing but an out right gun ban. I directed my 'mail to' the sponsors and CC'd the content to EVERY ELECTED STATE REP!
BTW, IF anyone here reads HB2241 and doesn't react to the bill, then just go kiss your backside goodbye.

I try to post links to state reps people need to write to to get their voices heard on bills and such but have no idea if it's doing any good or if I'm just pissing on Supermans cape or into the wind.

Dan

The only new thing here is the ammo tax. Everything else was out there last year and just never went anywhere. Sounds like they are pushing harder by bringing inslee officially on board. Keep stocking up boys n girls

The good news is, this year the Wash. legislative session is the short one, 60 days. The amount of damage they can do is limited. The bad news is, the legislature runs in a two year cycle, beginning with the long session. In this case, that was 2019. The legislature has fairly easy rules dealing with carry-over bills. Meaning, if a bill was introduced but didn't make passage in year one, it may be reintroduced in year two of the legislative cycle. After the two year cycle is over, the bill is dead. In 2019, bills were introduced to limit "high capacity" magazines and ban assault rifles. So they are there for reintroduction in 2020. The state doesn't have any particular money woes this next session where otherwise they could flounder around for the whole 60 days trying to figure out how to pay bills. So it looks like they'll have time for "other matters." I'm not savvy enough on the legislative process to know what they might mean by a "combined" bill covering all the goodies they want. That is, would it be all new stuff or can they combine bills previously introduced.

Four easy words: "King County Election Fraud."

Well, I'm not necessarily a conspiracy theory believer. But I still wonder about the gubernatorial election where Dino Rossi beat Christine Gregoire by a very close margin first two ballot counts. The Dems called for a recount, twice, and finally the third time around, Gregoire won by a similar close margin. Which was the result that was accepted. Then there's the way the Seattle council elections go, Dems losing until the last ballot counting when they pull ahead by five percentage points. And have a history of doing so. Sure makes you wonder. This could be the Deep State in action, they are in strong position to bend things their way.

This is especially sad in states like this. To vote you no longer even need to find a damn stamp any more. You simply fill the thing out and drop it in the mail and that's seems to be too much for many. Many must not remember the days of having to go to your polling station, often stand in line, for the privilege. The they started offering mail in only if you told them you had a reason to ask, kind of like the early days of CC (CPL) here.

These days the right to vote is given away cheaply just like drivers licenses are. Mainly to the impoverished who tend to vote for those who give promise of free things.

When it comes to guns there's two viable options: Rs and Ds.

Rs are not perfect, but by and large the generally preserve gun rights and rarely target them. From representatives to presidents to governors to Judges. Look at the records. The worst gun control, the worst gun law cases, and the worst legislation comes from Ds.

In a two party system, it only makes sense to vote for the side that will do you the most good. In the case of gun rights, that tends to be R.

And what have the right-wing, conservative, Constitution loving, gun owners in WA state have to show for it? They still pass whatever they want. Microsoft, Amazon, and Seattle bringing in tons of leftists. WA is the new CA.

50% of the people don't vote in Washington because of your same defeatist attitude. I'm confident there's enough gun owners in those several million non-voting adults to carry the state if they'd just VOTE>

Sad as it is to say, I just don't think the numbers are there for a different outcome.

We will have to wait to see what is in the bills, but I would guess that they will try to make them as restrictive as possible without running up against the compensation provisions of the 5A. For example, the law could grandfather in any mags that exceed 10 rounds, but prohibit you from selling them.

This. By grandfathering but denying transfer, such a law demonetizes an asset. If you can't transfer even to a surviving relative, all liquidity in the item has been robbed out of it. This is how they get around the just compensation clause.

Regarding ammo, semi auto and mag ban, Who should we be contacting at this point?

You might start with Ghostbusters.

Well, I'm not necessarily a conspiracy theory believer. But I still wonder about the gubernatorial election where Dino Rossi beat Christine Gregoire by a very close margin first two ballot counts. The Dems called for a recount, twice, and finally the third time around, Gregoire won by a similar close margin. Which was the result that was accepted. Then there's the way the Seattle council elections go, Dems losing until the last ballot counting when they pull ahead by five percentage points. And have a history of doing so. Sure makes you wonder. This could be the Deep State in action, they are in strong position to bend things their way.
Once you get past a certain threshold, the odds of repeated events being coincidence decline dramatically.

"Once is happenstance, twice coincidence. Three times, now that's Enemy Action."--Auric Goldfinger

And several relevant Gibbs Rules:
#39 - There is no such thing as 'coincidence.'
#39A - There is no such thing as a 'small world.'
#40 - If it seems like somebody is out to get you, they are.
#36 - If you feel like you're being played, you probably are.

I think it's worthwhile getting past the argument that new laws won't fix anything because criminals don't care about laws; this is well-known and accepted even by Inslee, Ferguson and the rest of that crowd. Criminal control as it applies to firearms more often shows up as Universal BG checks and other schemes designed to keep guns out of the hands of those who've acquired enough criminal bonus points to advance to prohibitive person status. And there's always the push to enlarge the prohibited person pool to include more folks who happened to overlook a pile of poo and stepped in it.

This latest push attacks their perceived problem from the other end; get rid of guns, plain and simple. Starting with what they see as the most dangerous weapons is the poor 'ole AR15 and it's descendants, AK47s and any other weapon capable of launching lots of rounds in a short period of time. What I think has emboldened them is the sneaky way 1639 was able take the operating system, semi-automatic, and dupe an entire state into saying Yes to draconian restrictions on the acquisition, transport and transfer of something as relatively harmless as a Ruger 10/22. In other words, obfuscation works in WA.

Now that the sheep accept that the sheep dog is a problem, it's time to up the game.

I probably wasted more words than needed to say I think this latest push is more about old fashion gun control than people control. Time will tell of course.

I think it's worthwhile getting past the argument that new laws won't fix anything because criminals don't care about laws; this is well-known and accepted even by Inslee, Ferguson and the rest of that crowd. Criminal control as it applies to firearms more often shows up as Universal BG checks and other schemes designed to keep guns out of the hands of those who've acquired enough criminal bonus points to advance to prohibitive person status. And there's always the push to enlarge the prohibited person pool to include more folks who happened to overlook a pile of poo and stepped in it.

This latest push attacks their perceived problem from the other end; get rid of guns, plain and simple. Starting with what they see as the most dangerous weapons is the poor 'ole AR15 and it's descendants, AK47s and any other weapon capable of launching lots of rounds in a short period of time. What I think has emboldened them is the sneaky way 1639 was able take the operating system, semi-automatic, and dupe an entire state into saying Yes to draconian restrictions on the acquisition, transport and transfer of something as relatively harmless as a Ruger 10/22. In other words, obfuscation works in WA.

Now that the sheep accept that the sheep dog is a problem, it's time to up the game.

I probably wasted more words than needed to say I think this latest push is more about old fashion gun control than people control. Time will tell of course.

You said it well and I agree with it all.

The gun-haters will use convenient vehicles to achieve their goals. That obvious vehicle of the moment is the "assault rifle." Unfortunately, mass shootings have pushed that along greatly. But those of us with a five to seven decades under our belts will remember when it was the short-barreled handgun that was vilified. Then the hot-word was, "Saturday Night Special" which I guess now is analogous with "assault rifle." Events have turned major attention away from handguns, for the moment. However, I've read that the many gang shootings in Chicago that continue to mount usually involve handguns. So I'm sure when "assault rifles" have been driven sufficiently into the ground, there will be a re-focus on handguns. And so on. Just don't get rid of your single shot Handi-rifles yet.

The system of registration for rifles, both in I-1639 (by treating them like pistols where info is provided to and maintained by the DOL) and in these proposed pieces of legislation would seem to me to run afoul of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986: Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia

While it is common to think that WA does not have registration, we have had a system in place since 1935 which maintains records on who bought pistols from licensed dealers (and also from private sales when UBG checks passed by initiative). The entity holding this information has changed over the years but it is currently the DOL that maintains the database: RCW 9.41.129: Recordkeeping requirements.

FOPA provides:

No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

My understanding is that states that had registration in place before 1986 can keep those schemes. But I wonder about a couple things:

1) Does FOPA prevent states from adopting registration post 1986?
2) If yes, can WA expand its registration scheme for pistols to include rifles, something it never did until this century.
3) Is WA's system really a "registration" scheme, at least as of 1986? Back then, you could sell a pistol in a private sale and no record of that transaction ever existed in the state's records. Was the exapansion of record keeping that came with I-594 an illegal expansion of the pre-existing "registration" system?

The system of registration for rifles, both in I-1639 (by treating them like pistols where info is provided to and maintained by the DOL) and in these proposed pieces of legislation would seem to me to run afoul of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986: Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia

While it is common to think that WA does not have registration, we have had a system in place since 1935 which maintains records on who bought pistols from licensed dealers (and also from private sales when UBG checks passed by initiative). The entity holding this information has changed over the years but it is currently the DOL that maintains the database: RCW 9.41.129: Recordkeeping requirements.

FOPA provides:

My understanding is that states that had registration in place before 1986 can keep those schemes. But I wonder about a couple things:

1) Does FOPA prevent states from adopting registration post 1986?
2) If yes, can WA expand its registration scheme for pistols to include rifles, something it never did until this century.
3) Is WA's system really a "registration" scheme, at least as of 1986? Back then, you could sell a pistol in a private sale and no record of that transaction ever existed in the state's records. Was the exapansion of record keeping that came with I-594 an illegal expansion of the pre-existing "registration" system?

You raise a good point, wish I knew the answer.

California is much further down the rabbit hole in this regard, maybe it's a state's rights thing?

The entire left coast ignores federal immigration law, why not firearms law as well?

The good news is, this year the Wash. legislative session is the short one, 60 days. The amount of damage they can do is limited. The bad news is, the legislature runs in a two year cycle, beginning with the long session. In this case, that was 2019. The legislature has fairly easy rules dealing with carry-over bills. Meaning, if a bill was introduced but didn't make passage in year one, it may be reintroduced in year two of the legislative cycle. After the two year cycle is over, the bill is dead. In 2019, bills were introduced to limit "high capacity" magazines and ban assault rifles. So they are there for reintroduction in 2020. The state doesn't have any particular money woes this next session where otherwise they could flounder around for the whole 60 days trying to figure out how to pay bills. So it looks like they'll have time for "other matters." I'm not savvy enough on the legislative process to know what they might mean by a "combined" bill covering all the goodies they want. That is, would it be all new stuff or can they combine bills previously introduced.

With their agenda,

A. There is no 'good news' as they're not attempting to curtail, let alone repeal any GC, with their efforts.
B. You've heard about the new Speaker, right?

The thread on the Olympia rally in 3 1/2 weeks has gotten ~350 views. Wonder how many 'shares?':confused:

Boss

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread. Thanks deckert for listing all of those bills complete with links up-thread.

I noticed a couple things in communications from my representatives so far this session. One my reps specifically highlighted those bills that have been introduced at the request of Inslee and Ferguson.
HB 2240, HB 2241, SB 6076, SB 6077. Maybe they get a little more attention than the others.

I've been actively involved in trying to work with my legislators and others on various bits of pro 2A, and anti 2A legislation for quite a few years now. And it can really grind on a person given how much of an uphill battle defending against anti 2a, and promoting pro 2a legislation in this state has become. With the holidays upon us, make sure to take time with your family and away from this madness, even if it's just for a few hours over the coming days. I need to do a much better job at this myself. Sorry for the off topic tangent. Delete if necessary.

Pro 2A legislators I got answers back from.. But...three out of HOW MANY?
You people writing your legislators? I know where mine stand, they're 2A supporters, are yours?
Hellow? Hellow? Answers?

Dan
Dan,
Thank you for emailing me on this issue. I am a Republican and in a steep minority in the legislature. I am concerned with the bills that will be pushed this session, and urge you to continue your advocacy to protect our 2nd Amendment Rights.
Warmest Regards,
State Representative Michelle Caldier
26th Legislative District
Thanks Dan! You nailed it. Let me know if you hear anything from them and I can followup with them in person.
Appreciate all you do,
Merry Christmas!
Matt
Representative Matt Boehnke
Washington State House of Representatives
District 8

Dear Dan,
Thank you for your e-mail. I will be opposing any and all anti-second amendment bills. Unfortunately, and as expected, we saw several bills introduced last session. Since the passage of the anti-gun Initiative 1639, the Democrat majority in the House and Senate were emboldened to create even more anti-gun, anti-2nd amendment legislation.
Please know that I will be adamantly opposing any of these bad bills. I would encourage you to consider contacting the sponsors of these bills to voice your opposition. Attorney General Bob Ferguson has requested several of these bills. You can find contact information for him here.
As you may know, I am a certified firearms instructor and became one to further the education and safety of handling firearms. So, I am fully aware of what all of these bad initiatives and bills will do to our rights. I appreciate that you took the time to contact me concerning this issue. Please feel free to contact me again if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Have a very Merry Christmas!
Yours in service,
Senator Lynda Wilson
17th Legislative District

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I have come to dread this time of year. It's the time of year I should be spending time with my family, and/or at the range while I actually have a few days off. Instead I'm siting here composing my annual (or more frequent if necessary) email to family members regarding the ongoing attack on our second amendment rights. Providing detailed information about how to contact their Legislators and voice their input on each piece of legislation. Oh well, enough whining, got that off my chest. Time to carry on.

Thanks. I have the description and was just wondering if I missed the bill number somewhere along the way. I like to include the bill number in my communication to family and friends so they can use that in their communication with legislators.

That's ok though, I'll send the letter out with the description and follow up later when I have a bill number.

Last Edited:
^^ Regardless, the intent is clear...registration databases should be a no-go. Moving from one level to another shouldn't circumvent...

As posted before, everyone knows violent offenders/career criminals aren't going to register anything. As such, what's left? Decent, law-abiding gun owners.

Which begs the question: Why does one want to compile a registry of what law-abiding gun owners have?

Anyone believe that such efforts, if successful, would stop at semi-auto rifles?

'Oh, wait...rifles are only used in a fraction of crimes...handguns are the real problem...we better register those too...' and so it will go.

Once again - who are you sharing this with outside of the forums?

Boss

Thanks. I have the description and was just wondering if I missed the bill number somewhere along the way. I like to include the bill number in my communication to family and friends so they can use that in their communication with legislators.

That's ok though, I'll send the letter out with the description and folow up later when I have a bill number.

I wish I could find it right now, but a member posted an exhaustive list of all the bills in play right now. A repost of sticky of that post would be helpful. Back to searching.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top