JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for defensive handgun training. My search has led me to Insights and Firearms Academy of Seattle (FAS). Are there others to consider?

I've also heard there's a recession going on. I was thinking there would be more trainers and better prices.

Thanks,
Jake

I can't speak for Insights, but I HIGHLY recommend FAS. Even without the occasional guest instructors such as Mas Ayoob, Marty and Gila Hayes run a superb school. Good people, great staff, and a sound curriculum with well-written and executed courses.

I'm a firearms instructor myself (LE, for a good size department and have done a good bit of training on the taxpayers' dime) with substantial military (retired) firearms training, but I like to go to private training as often as I can afford it, to keep as current as possible with all the different training out there (and to have fun and shoot lots); I can tell you that the curriculum and the staff at FAS is second to none. I've sent my wife through two handgun courses there, and she's gonna do a carbine course in the near future.

Next year, I've GOT to get down to Thunder Ranch in Oregon and train with Clint Smith. Looking forward to meeting the guy; his writings are great, and if you've seen him on the TV gun shows, you know he's got a ton of common sense, a great sense of humor and a very personable teaching style ....

If you are up for a bit more of a drive you should also consider Oregon Firearms Academy, who also happen to be a sponsor here. I have had a couple courses at FAS, one at OFA, and a couple others in different parts of the country. OFA stacks up very nicely. I did enjoy FAS too and I'm sure you would be happy with it, so I'm certainly not discouraging trying them, but OFA has a very personal touch that FAS is lacking in, in my opinion. FAS has a wider variety of ranges, which can be handy depending on the course you are taking.

Here's another vote for FAS. I've taken their 5 day defensive handgun class and can't recommend them enough. A good way to check them out is to attend one of their handgun safety seminars, only $50 for almost a full day, and get a feel for the place before plunking down the big bucks for their regular classes.

The Insights courses are excellent - I've done one handgun course and several acquaintances have done handgun and rifle courses there and everyone was very positive on the course content and the instructors.

FAS looks interesting but the location is inconvenient for me - over three hours of driving for each day of instruction.

Haven't been to Insights yet, although I'd like to. Have been to F.A.S. a few years ago for I think three courses. But after discovering O.F.A. a few years ago, I look to train with them first when I get my time off each year. And if Clint Smith recommends them, they have got to be doing something right! Actually, they have helped teach courses at Thunder Ranch and are a link on Clint's website.

For me, planning time off, travel, and A.T.F. permits takes a lot of putting together. Before the beginning of the year I start looking at who has what to offer and I always check O.F.A. first. And for you guys who think a couple of hours drive is too much, I drive nine hours each way. Yes, nine hours. And even for the two days courses it is worth it. I do try to mix a course or two into my vacation picks so it helps if we are already going to the coast or something, but it is still worth the effort if we aren't. Did the Glock course at O.F.A. in April and learned, or re-learned a few things, and I've already been to Glock for the armourer and instructor courses as I'm an instructor for my company.

They put on a safe, well put together courses, that are constantly being upgraded and revamped to current training. Wish I could get to Carbine coming up, but I couldn't get the time off. And you will have a laugh too. Goods folks all around.

So don't forget O.F.A. when you are looking at courses. And for staying overnight, there is a Travelodge not ten minutes from O.F.A. that gives you a break on the price.

Peter

Haven't heard anything bad about FAS. Haven't heard anything about insight. Have trained at both Thunder Ranch and O.F.A. Both were excellent. I would go back to Thunder Ranch anytime I could, but it is more expensive. The crew at OFA does a great job as well. I do wish they had a bigger range, though.

INSIGHTS INDOOR FACILITY IS GOOD [SQUARE RANGE] STAFF IS GREAT.THEY DO CLASSES AT A PLACE TO SHOOT IN PORTLAND ALSO.DONE EVERYTHING O.F.A. HAS AND THEY ARE THE MOST HOMELIKE FACILITY[COOKHOUSE UNDER A PINE GROVE WHEN YOU DO
LONG OR NIGHT CLASSES.TOP NOTCH STUFF. AS FAR AS THE BEST GOES,IT HAS TO BE F.A.S. MULTIPLE RANGES ,MOVERS,360DEGREE RANGES,DARK HOUSES,LONG RANGE TOWER FOR LONG RANGE RIFLE.I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE THE 21ST 3 GUN MASTER THERE.
STARTING AT OFA AND DOING MORE ADVANCED STUFF ATFAS MIGHT FIT YOUR NEEDS.THE COOL PART OF GOING TO DIFFERENT SCHOOLS IS SORTING THROUGH THE THINGS YOU LEARN ,TO DEVELOP YOUR OWN STYLE.WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU .MOST OF ALL
HAVE FUN.

The best shooters in the world are separated from the rest by factors of fundamental mastery, time spent practicing and ammo sent downrange. Fundamentals are no secret, every decent outfit has them and across the board they are nearly identical. The shooting community perpetuates itself through repeat clients and newcomers, not through innovations or secret sauce. You train in order to learn how to practice, you then practice in order to gain proficiency. I have not trained at Insights of FAS but I have trained at OFA. I'd recommend them strongly so as to gain the fundamentals, lock them in and go away with something to practice. The fighting aspect of the game is somewhat separate and there are in fact small distinctions relative to any one organization or the other. Yet even in terms of fighting, the fundamentals-train-practice-proficiency thing is evident and with a handgun really doesn't vary that much org to org. OFA supplies the fundamentals at a totally reasonable price and in an affable environment. After that it's entirely up to you.

The best fighters in the world train in many different aspects of self defense . From situational awareness,knife use,disarms,retention,shoot no shoot,use of illumination,open hand strikes to gain time to access your weapon,getting off the line of attack,etc..
Basic firearms skills are but a small portion of self defense.After going through 4 or 5 classes,take a look at some of the guest instuctors at OFA and FAS;John Fanham and his wife gave a super class at OFA.Lots of stuff to practice.
Thanks for your service to all my brother vets out there.GOD BLESS AMERICA.

The Insights courses are excellent - I've done one handgun course and several acquaintances have done handgun and rifle courses there and everyone was very positive on the course content and the instructors.

FAS looks interesting but the location is inconvenient for me - over three hours of driving for each day of instruction.

I live near Seattle so similar drive times for me. I greatly enjoyed FAS years ago but I stayed in Centralia. It all comes down to available funds and value of time of course, but it seemed to me the hotels in the area were pretty affordable back then. -Boyd

Some years back I took Intermediate Handgun @ Insights and very shortly thereafter FAS3. Got my money's worth from both, would recommend both. Since I was taking classes in different applications, in a way it's apples and oranges. I doubt you would be disappointed with either.

Unfortunately i noticed this thread too late. I was debating FAS and Insight for Hand Carry 101. I went with Insight due to location, and timing of their class and my schedule.

So far, i an not at all impressed with Insights administration. I'm still waiting for a return call, and their requirements aren't consistent. I get a different answer to questions depending on who i speak to. My concern is whether this reflects the lack of consistency in their courses i hoped to take the entire series including Med and travel security classes.

I want to give them a chance to get their act together and will respond with details later.

So far, they have been very unprofessional, resulting in a huge waste of time for me, and missing out on courses at other places.

I now feel professional instruction and attention to detail out weighs convenient location.

Thank you for all the information. I have began looking for training locations nearby. FAS was one that I was looking at so glad to hear all the good feedback on their courses. The only other one I have looked at so far is Wades in Bellevue (since this is the only range I have been too) and trying to compare them to others.

I like Wades a lot. Just from personal interactions with the staff. Both at the range and store. I found those at at Seattle Armory quite pompous. Prices were quite a bit higher at Seattle Armory also.

Dealing with Insight has been a huge waste of time as well. I travel a great deal overseas and and have a fixed schedule. I don't have the time to be approved for a course, charged for it, then to be questioned about proof of character at the range. Given i work at sea an hold a number of Gov I.D.s it really is irritating an unwarranted.

I recently contacted Thunder Mt in Oregon. So far, they're great! I hear great things about there classes, which are full (which says a lot) and found them to be extremely helpful, and pleasant. They were happy to talk at length about the class, upcoming courses, different weapon system builds (I'm into 1911s).

I missed a rare opportunity to take a course with them due to selecting Insight because of convenience instead. A big mistake!

I've since learned of a suicide that occurred during an Insight class, which makes their attitude more egregious to me.

Thanks for the info - kind of a bummer about insight just due purely to location. Easier for me to take classes there since they are more local, but I rather drive extra miles or pay a little more for excellent training sessions and atmosphere. I feel that I am decent with my handgun and I can hit my target 100% of the time, but I need to improve my grouping, learn trigger control, learn more about sight picture and so on and now that I have a gun in my house, I want to learn about the self defense aspect in the event that something occurs at my home.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top