Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Insight into squawfish fishing around Portland?

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by DeanR, Mar 24, 2011.

1. DeanR

DeanR Portland OR Member

I'm still unemployed and thinking I might try squawfish fishing for $ starting in May. Anyone done this, or have any things/places to try out or avoid? I might even do some scouting up the Gorge since there is a check-in station at Cascade Locks.

2. 100$bill

100$bill vancouver Wa Member

The water is a bit too cold on the Columbia right now for squawfish.. 42 degree water last weekend. When the water gets above 55 degrees, it gets going good. I fished squawfish in the early 1990's when I was unemployed. I ended up with a set up that will sound kinda wierd. I used 5 or 6 ft cheapo trout rods, spinning tackle, 6 lb test line and a small hook ( long shank size 10).. right on the bottom, close to structure and shore, sandy bottom, with just a trace of current. It works best if you have a couple others guys as they school up. Anyway we'd get some fried chicken, especially the thighs and peel off the skin, cut that into small strips and put that on a couple hooks with a long leader a foot or so apart with a sliding sinker ( kinda like a sturgeon set up but a lot lighter). Once you catch one, keep the bait in the same place ( rig extra rods) andyou can catch 'em one after another, as long as you keep the scent in the water

3. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

they really like KFC i think its the grease . I used other fried chickens but the KFC gets more bites

4. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I've been thinking about this too, so have a couple of lame questions: does the Gummint pay cash with no ID required? or by check with a paper trail, taxes, etc? I have heard that guys made some serious money in past years, but gas was cheaper then. Do you think that you can make more than gas money this year?.............................elsullo