JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.... I switched over all my AA stuff to Eneloops quite a while ago. Haven't had any issues.
^^^THIS^^^^ Rechargeable Eneloops don't leak and will last for many many charges. The Duracells are horrific these days, one exception is the 9V, because it's double cased, tends not to leak. Duracell 9V's are some of the best made. Everything else they produce is some of the worst.

Switch to Eneloops (in the white cases, not the black "Pro" version - Japanese made ones tend to be best it's said) and those issues go away. Costco has sold the Panasonic Eneloop charger with the rechargeable Eneloop batteries in a set on occasion.

How are Eneloops voltages? Most rechargeable batteries designed to replace standard household batteries don't reach the correct voltage. Standard alkalines run at around 1.6-1.7 volts (AA as example) and rechargeables run at around 1.3-1.4. Some devices don't like it and run times are generally cut down. I'd be curious if Eneloops are any better.

Yep...quit them copper tops about five years ago after my third or fourth flashlight getting the old acid leak test from them. I liked Duracell because they were made in USA, and then that changed.

I now use lithium in everything especially locking type things, and change all of them out every fall.

How are Eneloops voltages? Most rechargeable batteries designed to replace standard household batteries don't reach the correct voltage. Standard alkalines run at around 1.6-1.7 volts (AA as example) and rechargeables run at around 1.3-1.4. Some devices don't like it and run times are generally cut down. I'd be curious if Eneloops are any better.
That's correct. I haven't found a device that doesn't work with an Eneloop although they're likely out there. As far as longevity, for like a wall safe, you'll get about the same life. The discharge curve for Eneloops is flatter, so as long as the device will still function at 1.2V or so, the Eneloops will last as long or longer. Heavily used devices, maybe now, but if you can get 500-900 charges out of an Eneloop before you toss them, you are saving quite a bit of $ratch.

Eneloops don't mfg 9V, but there are several others that do. Pay attention to the Mah and voltages. With some of the better ones, you can get 600 Mah and they charge to 8.4V - I have some Ebl that have done well by me but be aware that they make different chemistry. There is nothing worse than grabbing your walkie talkies or $400 Fluke Multimeter and when they don't work go to replace the batteries and have your device broken beyond repair by acid from a leaking alkaleak battery.

That's correct. I haven't found a device that doesn't work with an Eneloop although they're likely out there. As far as longevity, for like a wall safe, you'll get about the same life. The discharge curve for Eneloops is flatter, so as long as the device will still function at 1.2V or so, the Eneloops will last as long or longer. Heavily used devices, maybe now, but if you can get 500-900 charges out of an Eneloop before you toss them, you are saving quite a bit of $ratch.

Eneloops don't mfg 9V, but there are several others that do. Pay attention to the Mah and voltages. With some of the better ones, you can get 600 Mah and they charge to 8.4V - I have some Ebl that have done well by me but be aware that they make different chemistry. There is nothing worse than grabbing your walkie talkies or $400 Fluke Multimeter and when they don't work go to replace the batteries and have your device broken beyond repair by acid from a leaking alkaleak battery.

Excellent, thank you for the info!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top