JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you have an electronic safe, check the batteries in the module.
If they're copper tops, get rid of them.
I opened the safe last week to get some papers out. Went to return them this afternoon. Duracell exploded, and fortunately the corrosion (Lots of it) was limited to the battery holder. Based on my experience losing other gear to exploding Duracell and Costco batteries (made by Duracell), it could have been much worse.

About two or three years ago, after my last battery puked its guts out, I went through and replaced *all* my Duracell batteries and haven't bought the brand since. Evidently forgot to check the safes.
M'fers! :mad:

A lot of people have had damaged equipment due to Duracell's (and other cheap brands). See this thread:

Duracells are not good "players" in battery devices. Had a couple (D-cells) that were so HOT to the touch I had to use gloves to handle them. Tossed them into a snowbank and they 'melted' their way down to the ground level through two feet of snow! Not very encouraging, Kirklands are the corrosion kings of batteries. Worse than any cheapo asian ones!

On a big road/street project with 5-7 flaggers, I can go through a couple hundred batteries for the work radios. I have used Duracells extensively and never had an issue.

On a big road/street project with 5-7 flaggers, I can go through a couple hundred batteries for the work radios. I have used Duracells extensively and never had an issue.
Guessing you use them quickly with this volume so no, they are not (as) likely to leak. I stopped counting at 30...the number of Duracells that I've found exploded in equipment. Some of our contractor turned in some electronics where the batteries would not have been in use for more than 6 months to a year max. Nearly all the Duracell devices had at least one battery exploded out of four. Many had two or three.

Most that I have found were well under their expiration date. All types of equipment as well. I honestly do not know how this company is still in business. No issues (in the same gear) with bunny batteries. Agree on lithium cells, especially for anything that gets cold.

Yup on a device like that that sits for a long time lithium is the way to go.

Yep. Second this.

I don't get around to much photography these days, but the cameras that use batteries, in addition to a few speed lights, are all juiced with Energizer lithium's. Haven't had a leak (to date).

I was actually thinking of diving into NiCad, as I use it in all of my music gear and have a good feel for charging cycles.

Any recommendations, or should I start my own thread?
While you can still find Nicd they aren't as good as Nimh s far as self discharge goes. Nimh has better low self discharge options, but they still aren't as good as a rechargeable lipo. With lipo existing, there really isn'ta reason to go backwards in battery tech.

Duracell used to be a trusted brand. China is the main source of manufacture for dry cell batteries these days. Is there a connection?

I have been losing stuff for years to the "new" environmentally friendly batteries. Remember when the old dangerous ones would last for like 8 years? You know like the Chinese ones in the TV remotes?

I swear it is a change in the recipe, but can't prove it

I only use lithium ones now. Stuff is getting too hard to replace.

I bought my Duracell 9v batteries at Costco several years ago. I check for leakage every so often but my battery still looks good. My battery has expired back in 2020 but it still works.

Very strange since I use Duracell 9v batteries as a backup for my smoke alarms and they don't leak either. I have 7 smoke alarms and 3 carbon monoxide detector as well. I had the Kirkland brand batteries leak so went back to Duracell.

I bought my Duracell 9v batteries at Costco several years ago. I check for leakage every so often but my battery still looks good. My battery has expired back in 2020 but it still works.

Very strange since I use Duracell 9v batteries as a backup for my smoke alarms and they don't leak either. I have 7 smoke alarms and 3 carbon monoxide detector as well. I had the Kirkland brand batteries leak so went back to Duracell.
For some reason I have never had a 9V leak of any brand. Has anyone?? Maybe since both poles are on the same end or they are sealed differently? IDK. I have had leaky Energizer, Pro Cell, Duracell, Kirkland, Rayovac, Duracell OEM go bad and leak, but again only in the last 10-12 years or so. It was when they switched even at work from not throwing them in the trash and having a special bucket to the bucket being gone and them saying they are good to go in the trash.

While less than ideal, Duracell will generally replace things that their batteries ruin. I switched over all my AA stuff to Eneloops quite a while ago. Haven't had any issues.
Same experience here. I have had issues with corrosion on Duracells countless times and energizer also. I switched everything to eneloop rechargeables many years ago and have had great luck with them. Even high demand stuff like camera flashes they do excellent. You can buy AAs and get C or D adapters to allow u to use them in other sizes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top