Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Inquest into shooting of John T. Williams has begun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BSG 75, Jan 17, 2011.

1. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

The inquest into the Aug. 30 shooting of John T. Williams by Seattle Police Officer Ian Birk has begun.

2. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

That ridiculous defense would never work if it were a mere civilian who murdered a man in cold blood. The definition of tyranny is the law allowing the state is to do something civilians cannot.

At least this cop has the decency not to taunt the victim's family like these dirtbags in Virginia: http://reason.com/archives/2011/01/17/justice-for-sal

3. Chameleon

Chameleon Central Oregon Member

If this guy is exonerated we could be seeing some civil unrest similar to that of L.A. para 1992. Time to start shouting WILL-I-AMS!!!

4. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

You guys see the video? The lady that crosses the street, clearly in condition WHITE.

Just amazes me...

If this is the same chick I'm referring to, then she didn't see shiat! She was staring at the ground! She didn't even look left until after the fifth shot!

Anyhoot...it does look fishy. Guy is walking with a knife, not really paying attention to anyone or anything....officer gets out and attempts contact- rest is off video.

*edit*

He was a wood carver? The knife was closed? Oh man, this isn't going to go well for Birk.

vy2h4k.jpg
    450Williams.jpg

5. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

What an idiot. That was cold blooded murder period. Shooting a man with a pocket knife carving wood minding his own damn business. Your a bublegum looking to kill somebody plain and simple. Mind you I can see shooting somebody with a knife in a self defensive situation but I in know way think the officer was in grave danger from this guy. Clearly the guy closed the knife and turned around to discuss the issue with the officer. Officer Birk comes out of the car gun drawn!?!? REALLY? did he think the wood carver was a ninja and was about to throw the knife threw his head?

Hope you have a nice stay at the state pen Mr. Birk.

6. CavVet

CavVet Seattle Member

Seems more than one person fails to comprehend the command "DROP THE KNIFE" or understand the 21 foot rule.

7. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

They are definitely investigating the crap out of this!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2011/01/11/2013908114.pdf

Seriously, this doesn't look good for Birk...he's the one who closed the gap. He's the one who pursued a non threatening individual. Yes, it was a deadly weapon...but like a weapon in it's holster, the knife was closed.

He pursued a WOOD CARVER who was CARVING WOOD.

WTF?! Is Seattle SOOOO liberal that you cannot even have a knife on you?

8. North Bender

North Bender King County Member

And why did he charge inside 21 feet in less than 4 seconds?

This thread isn't going to go any better than the last one on this subject.

9. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

The women who was walking didn't even respond to the shots, where was she, mental giant up in the clouds somewhere,her testimony I don't think is worth a tinkers darn. Wood carver, drunk, look at what is being played out as woodcarving,a joke. At this point though we must let the process continue. Think very carefully of the officers thoughts, he didn't want to end up in a pine box.The 21 foot rule is something. Interesting the victims arm was raised, tell us something.This is a sad event. With hold judgement until all is told. Spad

10. BSG 75

The "21 foot rule" does not say that everyone within 21 feet with a knife is a threat that must be shot.

11. viperjody

viperjody Seattle, WA Active Member

Dude, you got to be kidding me...You are a joke! I guess this is why we have laws in this country, because it is obvious that not everyone has common sense built in.

12. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

CavVet of old BArfkom fame?

13. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I didn't know there were so many jury members here. Innocent until proven guilty, unless you are a police officer accused of wrong doing. When did the burden of proof suddenly switch from the prosecution proving guilt to the defense having to prove innocence? Let's wait until ALL of the facts are in and see if he's found guilty. If he is, then hang him from the nearest yardarm. But until then, lets refrain from jumping to conclusions...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  14. BSG 75

This is an inquest, not a trial, so there won't be a verdict either way.

15. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

Seems like a very reasonable request.

16. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

You think the 21 foot rule usurps the law and civil rights? Clearly someone doesn't understand, that much is certain. The 21 foot rule is not a law or a police rule it's an observation of a firearms trainer and should not be the judge of a life and death situation.

17. viperjody

I think all the facts have presented them nicely, unless you know something we don't, the case is closed in my mind, there really are not any new facts or light to shed on this... He is guilty...

18. MountainBear

Then you are obviously privy to to information we aren't. Congratulations. If you're not, and you're going by what we are reading in the media, then that's not right. I stop short of attacking you personally, but that's where my mind is going. If you are naive enough to think that you are getting all the facts from the media, without having either been there when the bullets were flying or in the mind of the individuals involved, then you must be psychic...

19. viperjody

Please tell me what facts I am missing. I don't have to have been there to SEE what happened. The media has nothing to do with it. Maybe you should start by reading the transcript from Inquest, the testimony of SPD Homicide detective SGT Vallor and other EYE WITNESSES. Open your eyes dude! Let your mind be awake, your don't have to wait for someone to tell you he is guilty... it is okay if you have an opinion based on the facts presented in front of the INQUEST JURY. It sounds like you are waiting for the smoking gun in Birks case to prove he did nothing wrong, only a blind, asleep person would take Birk's side. The fact is, he should NOT have shot Williams, He acted irresponsible and hastily. If you or I had done the same thing and acted in the manner Birk did, we would be in Jail and on our way to the chamber.

20. MountainBear

No, but unlike you Jody, I will wait until ALL the facts or in before making my judgements. Like I said, if he is proven guilty, then he deserves what he gets. I'm not waiting for the smoking gun. I'm waiting for all the facts. But since your mind is admittedly closed on the issue, then frankly, you're beyond hope. If this had happened to you or I, then we'd be sitting there wanting people to wait until all the facts were in. But you can obviously see the future and are willing to believe everything you say or read, so there's not much point in arguing with you.

Me? I'll wait for everything to play out. Call me fair-minded...