JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tristar TT-15 DXA Combo Trap Walnut - Over Under Shotguns at GunBroker.com : 869056601 These are looking really attractive. 32 and 34" barrels included, lots of nice features. A bit more than I was planning, but it also solves the left handed option, as the comb is adjustable to fit lefties. Long length of pull, for my freakishly long arms. Still going to go to some meets, first, and talk to people, see if I can try stuff as to what fits and feels right.

IMO thats a lot of coin for something thats not tryed and true. Your super close in price to some proven great long lasting shotguns. Not sure I would want to roll the dice and see if it turns out good. Not to mention resell if or when that point comes.

You should be sure that you intend to shoot trap and trap only. The Tristar you posted is a dedicated trap gun and will be problematic for pretty much any other shotgun game as it is set up to shoot rising targets and that's about it.

And since I don't have a real warm fuzzy feeling that you know what trap is:

If your gun club ain't doing this then don't buy the Tristar.

Last Edited:
Planning to go to the Albany Trap club shoot in a couple of weeks, and talk to people/ observe. A member here was nice enough to point out that there are often used guns for sale through people at that club, as well... I'm not in a huge rush, ( G.A.S. notwithstanding) so I'll take the time to learn the ropes a bit, first.

I recently picked-up (from AuctionArms.com) an older Browning Sweet Sixteen (16-ga.) that I'm really looking forward to trying out at both Trap and Sporting Clays. All I have to do is locate some reasonably priced 16-gauge rounds in 7-1/2 or 8-shot. Thus far, I've only been able to find some 6-shot in 16-gauge.

Oh boy, now you are talking. I don't want to start a bonfire here, but for the purists, well, the 16 ga is sacred ground. Of the six A5s I have the Sweet Sixteen is hands-down my favorite. 20 years ago Browning made a "special" run of 16 ga Citori; it must have been pretty special because they seem to keep making more every year. Keep your eyes on 16ga.com and you will find them from time to time. Just be advised the shells are not as common as 12 or 20 ga; but they do come in purple.

Should we tell the OP about the Double Auto Twelvette?

I have bought 4 shotguns from Jaquays in Findley, Oh over the years. Just checked their used gun inventory and as usual they have several Browning O & U for under $2,000. Nice folks to do business with.

I tried an undervest pad made of the gel-like substance, while it significantly decreased the felt recoil, I couldn't seem to get it to stay put in the place where I prefer to have it. I'm pretty sure it was the pad holder and not the pad that gave me issues. The one I'm currently using is simply a split leather pad with some white packing foam in it (old school). It seems to work great.

It really helps cut down on the effects of recoil of whatever shouldered firearm you happen to be shooting. It's something more mature shooters can, and should utilize to increase their target shooting enjoyment. For me, it definitely allows multiple-day shooting excursions without all of the typical stiffness, soreness, etc.

I frequent the Clark County Shooting Complex, as I live only a couple of miles away from it. I've run through the Sporting Clay courses (there are 3 courses totaling 15 individual shooting stations) and the 24 individual Trap courses, on numerous occasions. All of the Sporting Clay stations have shade structures, a variety of seating options, and cold water dispensers with paper cups.

Ironically, I also have a 20ga SKB, but mine is a side-by-side that was originally sold as an Ithaca. It's another one of my "go-to" guns (for target shooting) for the same reasons my 20-gauge Citori is.

Despite the fact that 20-gauges shoot lighter loads (7/8 oz. vs 1 to 1-1/4 oz. for 12-gauge), it seems like I'm a much better shot with 20-gauges. A conclusion I recently came too after 35-plus years of shooting nothing but 12-gauges. Who would've thunk?

I recently picked-up (from AuctionArms.com) an older Browning Sweet Sixteen (16-ga.) that I'm really looking forward to trying out at both Trap and Sporting Clays. All I have to do is locate some reasonably priced 16-gauge rounds in 7-1/2 or 8-shot. Thus far, I've only been able to find some 6-shot in 16-gauge.

My comparison of how I personally shoot the three different gauges (12, 20 & 16) ought to be interesting, nonetheless.

Hmmmm, is it the gauge or the gun? Time will tell... :)

Yes, SKB and Ithaca had a relationship for awhile. That SxS double that I had was beautiful and swung very nicely, but I never could get used to the diff in sighting plane vs the SKB O/U that I had. My friend had an LC Smith SxS 20ga... same thing. Oh well.

This may be just what youre looking for....
Of course, the majority of these lower priced firearms are made in Turkey and you get what you pay for, however, some of them are bargains in that they hold up well and last a good while. They WONT compare with the high quality Brownings, Winchesters,SKB,et al but at least you can "get in the game' relatively cheap to see if thats what you want.
Good Luck. and I HTH...

Marshall

This may be just what youre looking for....
Of course, the majority of these lower priced firearms are made in Turkey and you get what you pay for, however, some of them are bargains in that they hold up well and last a good while. They WONT compare with the high quality Brownings, Winchesters,SKB,et al but at least you can "get in the game' relatively cheap to see if thats what you want.
Good Luck. and I HTH...

Marshall
If it helps, the Stevens 555 is made by KoFs. One of the better regarded Turkish gun makers.
I wouldn't mind having one in 28 ga. myself.

Dean

That Stevens 555 trap only has one barrel, though. All their actual o/u's are 28" or less. I'd like an o/u with two barrels, that is workable for trap or skeet. Been ogling the classifieds on here, but nothing quite right, just yet. Given that it's been probably 20 years or so since I shot skeet, I don't think I would benefit too much ( or notice the difference? ) from some of the more advanced features on the high end stuff. Did see a Winchester 101 on GB at a good price, like $800 buy it now, if I recall correctly, but I'm going to go to a meet and talk with people before I commit money. Be nice to try out a couple of things for fit/comfort/"can I hit anything" so I know what I like.

Last Edited:
Got out to the Albany Trap club, today, after pistol practice. Really nice folks out there! There was a tournament going on, so I got to watch lots of people having fun. I hadn't realized they have rentals there, so I got a membership, and will head back next Sunday to see if someone wants to help introduce me to trap. My last time shooting clays with a shotty was in the mid 90's, in Australia with the gun club on our ship, so it's been a little while, now. There were a couple of nice looking O/U's in the rack for sale, under a grand.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top