JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good Morning, NWF folks! I'm hoping for some input about over/under shotguns intended for shooting clays. Every time I go to the range, I see the two brand new throwers sitting there, more often than not with no one using them, and remember how I used to have fun shooting clays with an old Mossberg 500 pump gun and a thrower mounted on a 2x4 I could park the truck on. ( I no longer have the gun or the thrower, that's been a lot of years ago) So I'm considering getting a shotty so I can use the ones at my range.

Budget is definitely a concern, and while I've heard that the inexpensive ones aren't much good, I'm wondering about what specifically breaks, and/or why they aren't considered viable choices by most folks. I don't mind having a situation where the manufacturer will send me parts free under warranty, rather than having to ship the gun to them, I can generally fix all the gun issues I've had, so far. What might be a good brand/model that doesn't break the bank?

Other factors: I'm lefty, but I'm pretty used to long gun stocks that "don't quite fit". I'm also the "large frame " model... 6'3 and 175. So length of pull needs to be fairly long, without it being a custom job. On the Mossberg, I just stuck a recoil pad on the butt, and that was about right for length.

What are your thoughts on gauge, barrel length, other things I may not have thought of? I'm thinking 12 gauge, but really it's just because that's what I've shot before.

Thanks for your help!

(Edit to add that I will check this when I get back from work, this evening)

Good Morning, NWF folks! I'm hoping for some input about over/under shotguns intended for shooting clays. Every time I go to the range, I see the two brand new throwers sitting there, more often than not with no one using them, and remember how I used to have fun shooting clays with an old Mossberg 500 pump gun and a thrower mounted on a 2x4 I could park the truck on. ( I no longer have the gun or the thrower, that's been a lot of years ago) So I'm considering getting a shotty so I can use the ones at my range.

Budget is definitely a concern, and while I've heard that the inexpensive ones aren't much good, I'm wondering about what specifically breaks, and/or why they aren't considered viable choices by most folks. I don't mind having a situation where the manufacturer will send me parts free under warranty, rather than having to ship the gun to them, I can generally fix all the gun issues I've had, so far. What might be a good brand/model that doesn't break the bank?

Other factors: I'm lefty, but I'm pretty used to long gun stocks that "don't quite fit". I'm also the "large frame " model... 6'3 and 175. So length of pull needs to be fairly long, without it being a custom job. On the Mossberg, I just stuck a recoil pad on the butt, and that was about right for length.

What are your thoughts on gauge, barrel length, other things I may not have thought of? I'm thinking 12 gauge, but really it's just because that's what I've shot before.

Thanks for your help!

I LOVE o/u shotguns. Just not familiar with current models. (It's been a long time.)

Owned SKB and Charles Daly shotguns. There are a number of production o/u shotguns that IMO are well worth having, including Ruger, and Baretta (sp). What cheapo did you have in mind? To me, there are fancy imported shotguns, production brand name shotguns, and then cheapo imports from Turkey, Brazil, etc.

12ga for sure, and removeable chokes for sure. For general clay shooting, I would go with the standard 28" barrel. I know the passionate clay shooters for trap or sporting clays will go with longer barrels, but that makes for a shotgun that is not much use for hunting. If you want a specialized o/u for clays, then a 32" or even a 34" is considered standard. That said, I shot much informal clay with both a 28", a 26", and a 30" for range clays and thrower clays for many many many years. :)

CZ ? Also the pachmeyer slip on recoil pad is nice in that it has an insert at the top to help prevent snagging when mounting the gun for clays

CZ Drake Southpaw 12;20. 28".14 1/2". $575

Last Edited:
Stretch your budget, whatever it might be, and take a close look at the Brownings of recent years. Don't be too proud to consider a used gun - these days there are few worn-out guns around, not like when they were in daily use. And get one that fits you with the clothes you will be wearing when shooting it.

I have a great article in a British gun mag about buying a used Browning - if you like I can email it it to you as a few images.

BTW, I'm not any kind of a shotgunner - to me in my professional capacity they were useful for blowing doors off their hinges, where needed.

You need to be more specific as to what you mean by "shooting clays". You mention a couple of target throwers at your gun club. Are these your basic hand operated traps? Are they tied to a specific course of fire (like 5 stand) or is it pretty much stand to one side of them and shoot? Do you intend to get into a particular clays "game" ie skeet, trap, sporting? Shotguns are like golf clubs you pull one from the bag based on what type of shot you need to hit. A shotgun for trap would be set up differently than a skeet gun.

If your shooting is just casual clays shot from behind a hand operated trap an O/U isn't at all necessary unless you just want an O/U. Any shotgun will do. Same goes for gauge, barrel length etc.. A gun that fits is probably the most important aspect. If something more specific is in the cards (hunting, skeet, trap, etc.) tell us what it might be and we can make more specific recommendations.

Most of the inexpensive O/U's problems are they simply don't hold up well to the amount of shots a dedicated target shooter will use it for. Internal parts break/wear out. If you're only shooting a couple hundred rounds a year you won't have a problem other than the usual rough edges on an inexpensive gun compared to a more expensive one.

Last Edited:
Try searching on "Over Under Shotguns from Turkey"

Huglu makes the CZ. Weatherby's and most all other brand under $1,000 come from Turkey. Some are pretty decent, some not so much - but it's your best bet in that price range.

Otherwise you're looking at $1,500 - $2,000 + for a Browning, or similar Belgium, Japan or Italian type.

There is a feel that is much better in more expensive shotguns, especially dedicated trap shotguns. That feel leads to an easier swing that requires less effort. Shooting clay sports "competitively" you will shoot a lot of rounds in a season, so having a shotgun that will easily last 100k rounds is important.

I put 2k rounds through a CZ Woodcock, it isn't a bad gun, swings nice on a skeet field. I had zero problems with it. It wasn't the best tool for Trap, so it sits in the safe.

Your budget will be the biggest factor, but a used Browning can be found for around a $1000.

If you are looking to just causally shoot clays off a hand thrower, I would look at all guns, not just O/Us. What ever feels best is the way to go. 28" barrels work great for this.

if you are looking more for a Competitive trap gun, barrel length minimum would be 30"

12ga, because it is the cheapest and easiest to find ammo.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! This is why I wanted to post here, so I could learn even what questions I should be asking. Am on lunch break, so limited time, but I'll try to answer the questions you've asked. Budget: let's rule out anything over $1200 for now. If I get serious, yeah, I could see upgrading at some point, but for now, I just want to play. The throwers at the range are trap, automatic electric. I think they do 5 stand there, but that needs more research. The CZ that was mentioned I will take a look at, the Winchester 101 could be a contender. Used is fine, I'm not that picky. 30" plus barrel, check. I don't hunt, so it's strictly for trap.
Browning seems like they have always made nice guns, so I'll look there, as well.
So, what wears out or breaks on the cheaper guns, like the Turkish ones? I expect I'll probably put at a minimum, a few hundred rounds a month through whatever I get. I do have my heart set on an O/U, I know I could just get a cheap pump or auto, but that's not what I want.
Will check back this evening, thanks all!

The Turkish guns from Huglu and Yildiz are very well regarded here in yUK- the shooting press says so - and they often have the most beautiful wood you've ever seen on any gun under 20 - 15K. Semi-autos are also popular here, but not on the line.

I have 6 trap guns right now. The one that nobody mentioned is the Remington 870 in a Trap model. Really nice Trap Remington 870's or 1100's can be had for under $1000.00. Look before you buy as fit is important when shooting at clay pigeons. You have to feel comfortable with the gun. Try to find a gun with a 14.5 in length of pull since you are tall. You can always change the recoil pad or spacer to get your length of pull. Go to a local range where they shoot the sport and look on the "classified" board at that range. You might be surprised with what you find. Good luck. Word to the wise, it is addicting.

I would try to stay away from cheap guns. Always buy a gun you sell if you don't like it. Browning, Winchester, Remington are common names and probably easier to find. Try to find someone who knows about shotguns to go with you on the hunt. Understand what to look for: Rib to barrel fit, locking mechanisms, does the gun just fall open, is it tight or loose? You can get "burned" if you don't know what you are looking at. Don't ask me how I know? Been there done that. Good luck.

Last Edited:
An 870 would be a good choice, a winchester model 12 would be a good choice too but ones in good shape are getting harder to find. As far as over unders go i would pick an skb, they can be had for around 500

Thanks for your help!

Man, I don't think I've been 175 since..........Anyway, to answer your question, O/U and clays are a classic combination.
I know Stevens makes a nice one in their 555 model.
I'm especially fond of the 28 gauge version (although other gauges are available).
5.5 lbs., 26" barrels, made by KoFs in Turkey.
They're beautiful guns.
They generally run about $600, although I'm sure you can find a better deal on sale.

Dean

Wow, thanks for all the replies! This is why I wanted to post here, so I could learn even what questions I should be asking. Am on lunch break, so limited time, but I'll try to answer the questions you've asked. Budget: let's rule out anything over $1200 for now. If I get serious, yeah, I could see upgrading at some point, but for now, I just want to play. The throwers at the range are trap, automatic electric. I think they do 5 stand there, but that needs more research. The CZ that was mentioned I will take a look at, the Winchester 101 could be a contender. Used is fine, I'm not that picky. 30" plus barrel, check. I don't hunt, so it's strictly for trap.
Browning seems like they have always made nice guns, so I'll look there, as well.
So, what wears out or breaks on the cheaper guns, like the Turkish ones? I expect I'll probably put at a minimum, a few hundred rounds a month through whatever I get. I do have my heart set on an O/U, I know I could just get a cheap pump or auto, but that's not what I want.
Will check back this evening, thanks all!
A good used Citori should be well within your price range, will hold up over time, and retain its value over time.

Guys!!!

She has her heart set on an O/U, stop with the pump or auto suggestions, it's not helpful!!! :p:p:D

Soooo, as I mentioned before... 32" or 34" is considered standard for trap shooters... I'd skip the 30" and go right to GO.

Wish I know more about dedicated O/U trap guns... the only thing I can think of is the Perazzi single barrel guns, and current pricing for those is in the $xx,xxx range.

We had a local guy with a bird farm who was one of the "early adopters" and started selling Turkish guns about 15 years ago. The price was great and the quality looked decent. After five years he quit them because of all the returns and difficulty of getting parts (mostly trigger and ejector issues). If you only shoot 2-3 times a year one of those less expensive guns may work, but if you shoot more than 10 rounds of clays a year you'd be better off with a more reputable brand. Go out and handle some of them in a pawn shop; you can feel the difference.

I am partial to Brownings, but wouldn't be opposed to a Beretta, SKB, anything made by Miroku, or an older Charles Daley made in Italy by Beretta. I see used Citoris for $800-$1200 all the time. You probably won't have a problem with one and if you do it won't be hard to fix. In addition, you shouldn't have any trouble selling it with little or no loss if you decide to sell it later.

Pay once, cry once.

Funny thing is Brownings are made by Miroku in Japan. You have to be careful with the guns made around 1964. The wood in the stocks came from logs that were sunk in salt water to preserve the wood. What was happening is as the wood cures the salt would come out and cause corrosion and then rust around the action. (The Japanese sunk the logs for cheap storage, and then pulled them up when they needed them) Also the ribs on the shotguns would break the soldering, so then you have to have them repaired which is not cheap. Look at the rib if it is white in color where it meets the barrel your weld is breaking. There is a lady who shoots a Remington 1100 at a local shoot and she is a great shot. The thing is get a shotgun that is comfortable and fits you right. O/U, semi-auto, or pump. There is a difference in the long run between a field gun and a trap gun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top