Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Input on Light Truck Retread Tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by erudne, Sep 18, 2014.

1. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

40 years ago I ran retreads on my PU truck produced in Portland with poor results. Now I need a new set of 245X75- 16" 8 Ply tires for the farm truck,
    I can get 4 M&S retread tires delivered @$500 +$50 for mount and balance. Are there better deals, are there new tires available at close to the same cost?Any input would be appreciated

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Costco has seemed to have decent prices on sale tires in the past.

3. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

4. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

call some of the tire shops for take offs also, or CL....I scored a set of take off BFGs from a Nissan ( 265-70-16 ) for $400

mjbskwim and jbett98 like this.
  5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I worked in the tire business for a few years and I wouldn't run recaps unless you're only going to use the truck on the farm.
    I've seen to many separations (especially with radials) when they were run with a hvy load or had low pressure at hwy speeds.
    Call around like the poster above suggested, or, keep looking on Cl for a good deal.

6. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I need an aggressive M&S tread w a 8-10 ply rating, I'll keep looking

7. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

8. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I ran recaps on my Freightliner with 52 foot trailer and a couple of other trucks I owned and had one come apart on me in about 7 years. My fault since I ran it down too far. I routinely ran my loads right at GVW to make my money. My son in law runs off road recaps on 3 of his log trucks, and loses a couple a year even with all the off pavement and some 5 ton overloads on a fairly regular basis.

I seldom ran overweight since the State Police and Motor Carrier Enforcement take a dim view of that to the tune of up to $ 1,600 per violation, and any truck leaving my yard with an under pressure tire was going to get the driver a good talking to about pre trip inspections and taking care of my trucks and my money.

I did use a very high quality recap, and by law of course no caps on steering axles, but running new no recaps was just too damn expensive. Run reasonable loads and keeping tire pressures correct should enable you to run recaps just fine.

9. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Your talking about four tires per axle, excluding the steering axle. The OP's truck only has four and two of them are steering.
    I've been next to a fully loaded dump truck that was running recaps on the steering axle when it cut loose.
    It wiped out the whole left side of the hood/fender, flipped the skin over the truck and flew past my windshield, all the while the driver was frantically trying to control the rig.
    Losing a cap at hwy speed on an 18 wheeler is a lot different then a PU with a load in the bed.

10. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

As a side note - my wife's family has been involved with logging in Burney Ca for decades. The logging truck drivers put the worse tires on the back of the trailer with the expectation that if any tire blows it will be those, normally recaps. I know of no logging truck driver that runs recaps under the tractor. A word to the wise - its a good reason to give that logging truck some room when following.

11. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Damn straight! I drove a whole lotta miles from junction city to the coast and down. Lots and lots and lots and lots of hunting the range. I give the log drivers space, and respect. They are in a hurry, so they can make there living. I miss that part of living over there.
    But I have a Question. Do the coppers give them leeway on speeding?

12. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

Not to my knowledge.