JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys just looking for some information on nighthawk Tactial pistols. Looking into getting my 1st custom and I'm considering a nighthawk Tactial t3. Just wNting to hear any experience that anyone has with this company or their products. Thanks in advance for the input.
Millergd77

Everything Nighthawk seems to make is really nice. Never owned one, but shot a few. Hope you have a deep pocket book. For my money, Les Baer is better and more reasonably priced. You don't get the same uber ninja cool stealthy look, but you get a semi custom dependable 1911 that will make all your friends hate you because they're jealous.

Everything Nighthawk seems to make is really nice. Never owned one, but shot a few. Hope you have a deep pocket book. For my money, Les Baer is better and more reasonably priced. You don't get the same uber ninja cool stealthy look, but you get a semi custom dependable 1911 that will make all your friends hate you because they're jealous.

What makes the Les Baer "better"?

I talked to one of their guys in their shop about getting some work done to my 1911. He took the time to talk with me about what I wanted and where I was going with my 1911. Very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly guy. +1 for their people, I have also really liked the ones I have shot! Great quality and very accurate!

If were talking apples to apples I'm looking at a nighthawk t3 with aluminum frame and stright8 sights. My dealer is hooking me up at about 2300-2400. What does les baer or wilson combat have to compare. the t3 is 4 1/2 barrel.

What makes the Les Baer "better"?

Just my opinion. I think you get an equal or better gun for your money (and the Nighthawks seem to be over price for what they are), from a guy who's been doing it a long time with a great reputation (and I've been told by everyone I've know that has owned their guns that the customer service is second to none if you have an issue with any of their guns). I've handled both, owned 2 Les Baer's (still own one), shot both, and preferred the Les Baer over Nighthawk and Wilson Combat. Their cool, don't get me wrong. To me though, the Nighthawks and Wilsons are semi custom guns with a bunch of fancy finish on them. I don't care about that. I like the classic blued gun. Uber ninja finishes and tacticool grips don't do anything for me.

I've owned quite a few 1911's over the years, worked at a gun shop where I got to see a lot of things come through there, handled them, had the pleasure of shooting customers guns, seen what breaks or malfunctions, been lucky enough to be friends with a couple gunsmiths who's opinion I greatly value (and they prefer Les Baer's stuff over Nighthawk and Wilson). It's like everything, some people like chevys, some fords. I'm not sure if Les Baer makes an aluminum framed gun. I'd say comparative wise, Concept VII or VIII size wise. You're talking in the $1800-1900 retail range. Not putting down Nighthawk (before people panties get in a bunch). They make a real real nice gun. I someday hope to own one of their 10mm long slides.

When Nighthawk first started out they were top notch, but their QC has slipped a bit since its shakeup a couple years ago.

Their Perma-Kote finish isn't the best, in fact its pretty pathetic. Nighthawk has sent me a few of their pistols over the years for T&E, and their finish hasn't held up to the long term.

See a thread here on their finish;
Perma Kote is a Joke! - 1911Forum

On the other hand, I'm currently doing a long term test on the Wilson Armor-Tuff finish. For almost 6 months I've been packing their X-Tac model, and so far the finish is holding up extremely well.

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - X-Tac Armor-Tuff Finish test

IMO Nighthawk is over priced for what you receive in a semi-custom 1911 (paying for style points). The finish has had issues but they do look nice when new. I would op for the Les Baer Stinger over the NH.

IMHO better ways to spend your hard earned $$ than on pistol that is over priced for what it is. Many 1911's out ther that will do as well and a far better price.

There are lots and lots of options out there once you get to that level. I have been very very impressed by the Guncrafter No Name's that I've seen, Springfield Custom is probably one of the best "in house custom shops" here when not stepping up to a full build (and aside from some serious pros there work is still top notch), Wilson Combat and Les Baer have put in there time and earned their place. Crazy John seems to be the go to for Les Baers and runs specials where the 1.5" guaranty is a free upgrade.

Each custom shop has their own unique small things. I wouldn't rule out picking up a Springfield or Colt (sorry to poster above but wouldn't waste good $$ on a Kimber)..., and send either one out to have built exactly how you want it, or hunting for a used build that will suit your needs.

I'll agree DW puts out nice stuff- though were much nicer when they were ~$1k and not $1500+, Brown yep no problem. Fusion I would run fast and far from.

I agree the DW's were better with the price tag from a couple of years ago. However, if I was deciding between a DW at $1500 and a Nighthawk at $2300 I would take the DW without question. I don't own a Fusion but had heard good things. Who knows.