JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon Ban on Assault Weapons Initiative (2020) - Ballotpedia

Hm. Looks like Initiative 17 got enough signatures last year to appear on the ballot in Oregon this year. Anyone leading the fight against it beyond OFF???

This, and Initiative 8 (constitutional right to own semiauto) as well as Initiative 11 (firearms safety classes in schools with opt out ability) are gonna be dueling intitiatives... hoping 17 gets defeated and 8 gets passed. I would like to see something like Timber Unity but for firearms rights to happen in Oregon....

If last year's results are any indication of what is soon to be, we are in for a bubblegum storm.
The nice thing is that we have 2 seemingly pro2A initiatives that got accepted, most if not of the initiatives are "pending official reviews":rolleyes:

Edit. We really need to crank up voter turnout numbers on our side. Someone need to take the fight to the voters, make it plainly visible and loud and "in your face" about just what it would mean if this terrible plan passes (say good bye to your .22lr semiautos, to the A-5 shotgun family, to Garands, to Woodmasters, to m1as, to BARs in effect)

How the hell would a magazine be registered? Most of them are unserialized metal of plastic box.
To be honest? This is just a way to ensure that no more magazines would be sent into Oregon :rolleyes: :mad:

One of the most effective signage efforts - OregonPushBack
They need to be updated with current info. Measure 40 and the like.

One of the most effective signage efforts - OregonPushBack
They need to be updated with current info. Measure 40 and the like.

I looked at the push back page and it seems like they are trying to focus on too many things (vaccines, rent control and styrofoam bans to name a few) when they should be focusing 2A laws. I just don't see them having any major effect when they are focusing on all this other nonsense.

I know there's some leaders on this board. I bet we even have LEO's that could run for Sheriff in their county on here too.

The Oregon SOS record for IP 17 can be found here. So far IP 17 doesn't even have a draft ballot title, which requires 1,000 signatures, never mind the 112,020 signatures required to get the initiative on the ballot.

Also, don't forget IP 60, 61 and 62.

You can see the status of all ballot measures here. Just click "Summary Results".

We have Initiative 8 and 11, one of these wants to amend the Constitution of Oregon to protect Semiautomatic firearms
Understood.
What we need, and we may have in one of the noted IPs, is something that will disallow the further infringement of rights by the state. All anti-gun rights IPS from then on are dismissed, as well as any others that see to withdraw any rights we currently have.

Oregon Constitution, ARTICLE I, BILL OF RIGHTS
Section 27. Right to bear arms; military subordinate to civil power. The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence [sic] of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power[.]

BTW: it's an absolute outrage that these ballot initiatives are accepted as constitutional in the first place. The words of a constitution mean nothing when they can be twisted and interpreted to mean anything you want.

img1.JPG

Unfortunately, I don't believe IP 8 will be moving forward. Here's the thread that explains why:

Oregon Constitutional Right to Own Semiautomatic Firearms Initiative (2020) - Ballotpedia doesn't seem to confirm that it's dead?

Oregon 2020 ballot measures - Ballotpedia

There may yet be hope; if as the other thread alludes to that IP8 is dead, then maybe IP17 is also dead if it is also "pending official review"?

Edit. Right now only 2 measures are on the Ballot and they are not firearms related.

(i) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;

If you look at a rifle like the Browning BAR (not the BAR from WWII) - which is a hunting rifle, and semi-automatic - the shooter's fingers of the trigger hand, are below the action of the rifle and has a detachable magazine.

Also, the Browning BAR MkII has a muzzle brake which is a compensator, which is another of the features mentioned. The BAR MkIII has detachable mags of 5, 10 and 20 rounds.

Then there is the part of that proposed law that would - as I read it - ban any mag for .22 rimfire that isn't a tube mag and holds more than 10 rounds.

Spread the word.

There may yet be hope; if as the other thread alludes to that IP8 is dead, then maybe IP17 is also dead if it is also "pending official review"?
IP 8 is "only" dead in the sense that no one is taking the next step to collect the 149,360 required signatures. Again, see this thread for an explanation.

IP 17 is listed as "active". The next step for them is to collect 1,000 signatures to get a draft ballot title. The question is whether or not anyone is working on this, which I can't answer.

FYI: the Oregon ballot initiative process is described here.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top