1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Inheriting NFA Weps/Gadgets?

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by teflon97239, Nov 21, 2012.

  1. teflon97239

    teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    If I die today, my son will inherit a silencer (with ATF paperwork in my name). I hope that someday he'll also inherit some full-auto weapons, short barreled rifles, etc. But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

    From my limited research, it looks like he'll have to submit the ATF Form 5 and FBI Form FD-258 (fingerprints) for a tax-exempt transfer.

    Has anyone here done this? Does it also involve that bureaucratic pain in the *ss 7-month wait like the initial Form 4?

    And, who would actually hold onto the loot during that delay?
  2. TapRackNGo

    TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    I believe you can form a Trust and just make him a member.
  3. SCannon

    SCannon Battle Ground, WA Active Member

    Likes Received:
    You can have my fingerprints and I will hold on to them! Knowing the government it could take awhile and they will need maintained. Just trying to help.
  4. Keane

    Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

    Likes Received:
  5. mortar maggot

    mortar maggot western wa Active Member

    Likes Received:
    If you went the trust route and not CLEO route, I would contact the attorney that did the trust and ask him/her.

    In my trust my cousin will get my toys, not sure what he has to do on his end when I kick the bucket. I just added his name on the last page.
  6. Doc Maker

    Doc Maker Port Orchard, WA Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Get a family trust. That's the best way. Then, as he gets older, anyone named in the trust can use the firearms. Call Dennis Brislawn @ Brislawn Lofton attys. He'll do an ironclad trust for you.
  7. Nwcid

    Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    It appears from his post above that he has NFA item(s) are "personally" owned. To move items already owned into your trust as the legal owner you will have to pay the $200 transfer fee/item, fill out all the paperwork and "wait" for approval.

    If the OP is in the process of buying more items I fully agree that going with a trust is the easiest/best way to not only transfer the items to your family but they can also have legal possession of them to use any time.