JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi Jarhead - sorry for your loss.

A few thought — Looks like you're doing a good job of taking this slow and collecting information! There is a new edition of the gun prices you'd be wise to buy (41st edition - bluebook of gun values, $45 on Amazon). It'll give you pretty current range of gun values based on condition. Im retired Coast Guard and bought and sold a few dozen handguns this past decade, now that I had a little time for a hobby. I've wasted money learning some lessons the hard way.

That said, judging "condition" is the challenging part of what you're up against though not really very hard in your situation because most of your guns are shooters, versus super rare.

I would only use a gun shop as a last resort due to their high commissions. In Oregon they range from 15 - 20+%...outrageously expensive in my opinion. If you're thinking of selling to a gun shop expect no more then 50-60% of book value...they are all willing and able to take advantage, every time!

Even though the firearm market has been crazy lately thanks to the pandemic this used or collector market you are about to be selling in actually warms up in the early fall through the holidays! Be patient...

I recommend listing & selling on the forum first once you finish your pricing research...no middleman...no commissions. Only meet at an FFL with buyers...never at your home, for obvious reasons. I prefer face to face sales only, at an FFL of course where there are lots of people around, and the FFL can give you a transfer receipt for your records.

One final thought, some of these handguns will continue to appreciate over time like the revolvers, the 1911 and the little 1903. I had a 1924 version of the 1903...very nice piece of history! You might want to wait to sell a few of your high-value pieces...guns and butter. Best of luck!

Kevin

Hi Jarhead - sorry for your loss.

A few thought — Looks like you're doing a good job of taking this slow and collecting information! There is a new edition of the gun prices you'd be wise to buy (41st edition - bluebook of gun values, $45 on Amazon). It'll give you pretty current range of gun values based on condition. Im retired Coast Guard and bought and sold a few dozen handguns this past decade, now that I had a little time for a hobby. I've wasted money learning some lessons the hard way.

That said, judging "condition" is the challenging part of what you're up against though not really very hard in your situation because most of your guns are shooters, versus super rare.

I would only use a gun shop as a last resort due to their high commissions. In Oregon they range from 15 - 20+%...outrageously expensive in my opinion. If you're thinking of selling to a gun shop expect no more then 50-60% of book value...they are all willing and able to take advantage, every time!

Even though the firearm market has been crazy lately thanks to the pandemic this used or collector market you are about to be selling in actually warms up in the early fall through the holidays! Be patient...

I recommend listing & selling on the forum first once you finish your pricing research...no middleman...no commissions. Only meet at an FFL with buyers...never at your home, for obvious reasons. I prefer face to face sales only, at an FFL of course where there are lots of people around, and the FFL can give you a transfer receipt for your records.

One final thought, some of these handguns will continue to appreciate over time like the revolvers, the 1911 and the little 1903. I had a 1924 version of the 1903...very nice piece of history! You might want to wait to sell a few of your high-value pieces...guns and butter. Best of luck!

Kevin
Thank you for the kind words.
I'll definitely order the book to help assess values and yes the gun stores are my last resort. Even though I have a good one in town they still have to make money so it's understandable. To tell the truth, the reason I'm selling most everything is to give the money back to my wife's aunt who is the widow. She doesn't know anything about the guns or have the time to deal with them. So she had gifted them to my wife. Well it would be a nice surprise for her to hand her the money from these.
I wish I could just keep everything but to be honest, most of this would just sit in my safe along with the other old stuff I have.

Thank you for the kind words.
I'll definitely order the book to help assess values and yes the gun stores are my last resort. Even though I have a good one in town they still have to make money so it's understandable. To tell the truth, the reason I'm selling most everything is to give the money back to my wife's aunt who is the widow. She doesn't know anything about the guns or have the time to deal with them. So she had gifted them to my wife. Well it would be a nice surprise for her to hand her the money from these.
I wish I could just keep everything but to be honest, most of this would just sit in my safe along with the other old stuff I have.
That's a bunch of good stuff you're doing there Marine! The forum can't wait for you to release some of these to us when you're ready :)

So here's a question. I've decided to keep one of the revolvers for a hunting sidearm to replace my M&P 9mm. I'd like something with a little more power.

So between the Security Six, Colt Trooper and Model 19-3, which should I keep? I'm partial to the Trooper because it was my wife's uncle's duty gun when he was a deputy. But I'm also partial to S&W firearms in general. Thoughts?
Thank you.

I've owned all three barrel lengths that Ruger made on the Security Sixes and the short one you have will never win any target shooting contests.
I would keep the S&W 19-3 over the others.

Here is info out of standard military firearms on the 1911. As stated extras add but the stippiling pulls huge value away unfortunately. I'd say the values most have stated are pretty realistic for condition.
That said I drooled on the phone screen looking at it! Being watching for one for years for the collection.
Always a terrible way to come into some very nice firearms but guess we all get there! Sorry for the loss.

20200809_085801.jpg

So here's a question. I've decided to keep one of the revolvers for a hunting sidearm to replace my M&P 9mm. I'd like something with a little more power.

So between the Security Six, Colt Trooper and Model 19-3, which should I keep? I'm partial to the Trooper because it was my wife's uncle's duty gun when he was a deputy. But I'm also partial to S&W firearms in general. Thoughts?
Thank you.

All three are fine firearms. If possible go shoot each one and see which you like best. There isn't really a correct answer as long as you like it and can shoot straight.

Here is info out of standard military firearms on the 1911. As stated extras add but the stippiling pulls huge value away unfortunately. I'd say the values most have stated are pretty realistic for condition.
That said I drooled on the phone screen looking at it! Being watching for one for years for the collection.
Always a terrible way to come into some very nice firearms but guess we all get there! Sorry for the loss.

View attachment 733468
You should show the Remington below, because only the slide is Ithaca.

Thank you.
If I were you I would definitely keep the colt trooper. All three are fine shooting pistols but the trooper was your wife's uncles carry gun.

I have some firearms that have sentimental value and those memories can be priceless.

Good for you for doing this for your wife's aunt.

Keep the colt and the 1911 .The history and family history × nastalgia , is priceless. Document. Its history for Your son . We have firearms that were in family that the history has been mixed up or forgoten with time and the older genaration passing. They dont make them like they used to and probably never will again

Ok folks. I need some help. My wife's uncle recently passed and we have inherited a bunch of firearms. Many pistols, rifles and a shotgun. Many of these I don't know much about the value but we are looking to sell. So I've decided to reach out and see what kind of experts are out there and if you can help me assess some values. All are listed below and thank you in advance.
Colt Trooper MK III .357 Mag
Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP
US Arms Abilene .357 Mag Single Action
Remington XP-100 .221 Rem Fireball with Leupold scope
S&W Model 19-3 .357 Mag
Ruger Security Six .357 Mag
Ithaca M1911A1 .45 ACP

View attachment 732674 View attachment 732675 View attachment 732676 View attachment 732677 View attachment 732678 View attachment 732679 View attachment 732680 View attachment 732681 View attachment 732682 View attachment 732683 View attachment 732684 View attachment 732685 View attachment 732686 View attachment 732687 View attachment 732688 View attachment 732689 View attachment 732690 View attachment 732691 View attachment 732692 View attachment 732693 View attachment 732694
Hey if you decide to sell the Ruger revolver I am very interested . I am getting into collecting cowboy guns . Thanks Dennis

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top