JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello Guys,
I am reaching out in hopes that someone can help me to figure out what kind of Musket I have here. Was told that the gun is from the Revolutionary War. However after hours and hours of searching I have yet to be able to figure out what Model or better yet the year this Antique came from. I do know that it has been changed from Flint Lock to Percussion. Would like to find out how much something like like this is worth. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again, Amber

right side stand up.jpg
right side details close up.jpg
left side full view.jpg
right stand up.jpg
top barrell.jpg top barrell details.jpg left side stand up.jpg left side stand up2.jpg left side stand up3.jpg more underside trigger.jpg underside trigger.jpg underside trigger2.jpg IF stamp close up.jpg front stand up2.jpg front stand up.jpg end details.jpg close up details.jpg close up back.jpg front.jpg barrell details.jpg
barrell end.jpg

left side full view.jpg close up top details.jpg

Well, its percussion so its later than the revolutionary war, based on the decorative work and the style of the stock, I would say its from continental europe but I am no expert so take my knowledge for what its worth.

Also, usually the maker put their mark and proofs under the barrel so you will have to take the wood off to see what all is there.

Any markings on the Lock or Barrel?
Also, can you show both sides of the stock, specifically the patch box ( if it has one) and any other details!

At first blush, I'm going to guess a very nicely done Pennsylvania long rifle, but..........So many variables and the custom touches muddy the waters some!

Appears to be a .75 caliber smooth bore,possibly, looks to be converted from flint to percussion,check to see if it is loaded before you get into to it too much.

Any markings on the Lock or Barrel?
Also, can you show both sides of the stock, specifically the patch box ( if it has one) and any other details!

At first blush, I'm going to guess a very nicely done Pennsylvania long rifle, but..........So many variables and the custom touches muddy the waters some!

This is the only marking that I have been able to find.
IF stamp close up.jpg

Well, its percussion so its later than the revolutionary war, based on the decorative work and the style of the stock, I would say its from continental europe but I am no expert so take my knowledge for what its worth.

Also, usually the maker put their mark and proofs under the barrel so you will have to take the wood off to see what all is there.

There is a marking on top of the barrell. It looks like this.
Think its an I F . But still unsure.
IF stamp close up.jpg

Hello Amber
You have a very nice Fowler , not a musket...
There are no sling swivels or a bayonet lug....plus most muskets were not as fancy as your gun.
( Although some private purchase muskets , can be quite fancy )
That said your trigger guard looks like it could be from a musket...notice what appears to be hole for a sling swivel in it....

A fowler is simply a old fashioned , period correct term for a muzzleloading shotgun.
And yes it has been converted from flint to percussion at some point.

I love the brass lock plate ...that is a neat feature.
The carving and rear sight make it interesting as well.

To my eye it it looks a bit late for the Rev. War....but it could just as easily be from the 1780's onward...which falls into the timeline of our War.

Parts look to be English with an English overall styling....
Which may mean that it was made in England or made here in the Colonies ...tough to say for sure without a makers name....
Many gun parts were imported here and just as many guns were made here with those parts.

I would love to see this gun in person....
In any event for a dollar value I'd place it at $1000 and up...*
* rough guess without actually seeing the gun giving it a value is tough....
Especially if we find any more markings....

Has the stock been cut down...and can we get a picture of the whole gun or at least the forearm and muzzle area...?

Welcome to the forum and please keep in touch....I'd be very happy to help you with this firearm.
Andy

Hello Amber
You have a very nice Fowler , not a musket...
There are no sling swivels or a bayonet lug....plus most) muskets were not as fancy as your gun.
( Although some private purchase muskets , can be quite fancy )
That said your trigger guard looks like it could be from a musket...notice what appears to be hole for a sling swivel in it....

A fowler is simply a old fashioned , period correct term for a muzzleloading shotgun.
And yes it has been converted from flint to percussion at some point.

I love the brass lock plate ...that is a neat feature.
The carving and rear sight make it interesting as well.

To my eye it it looks a bit late for the Rev. War....but it could just as easily be from the 1780's onward...which falls into the timeline of our War.

Parts look to be English with an English overall styling....
Which may mean that it was made in England or made here in the Colonies ...tough to say for sure without a makers name....
Many gun parts were imported here and just as many guns were made here with those parts.

I would love to see this gun in person....
In any event for a dollar value I'd place it at $1000 and up...*
* rough guess without actually seeing the gun giving it a value is tough....
Especially if we find any more markings....

Has the stock been cut down...and can we get a picture of the whole gun or at least the forearm and muzzle area...?

Welcome to the forum and please keep in touch....I'd be very happy to help you with this firearm.
Andy

You're a mighty handy person to have around here Andy! :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top