Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Inherited a hunting rifle.... but what is it?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by SlickJoeSD, Dec 28, 2009.

1. SlickJoeSD

SlickJoeSD Astoria, OR Member

I inherited this rifle and would like to know more about it. It has scroll work all over it, with no markings other than its a 30-06. The trap door is either stuck or soldered shut. any information posted would be wonderful. Also i am not selling it but i would like a round about price. Sorry for the crappy pictures, as they are from my phone.

Thanks
    Joe

IMG_0155.jpg IMG_0156.jpg IMG_0157.jpg IMG_0158.jpg IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0161.jpg

2. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

That is a large-ring Mauser hunting rifle.

3. SlickJoeSD

aprox age? aprox value?

4. coctailer

The price is all over the place on these.
    With no markings, it is probably a custom gun built off a new action. The actions were made for a looooong time.

There may be a custom Mauser expert that can give you a better idea. Probably will need to see it in person.

There should be markings on the bottom of the barrel in front of the action. You would need to take off the stock.

5. coctailer

Don't bugger up the screw.............

6. SlickJoeSD

its already been apart, (with a gun smith screwdriver set) and there is no other markings not even a serial. Thanks for your help!

7. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

What ever type of mauser it is, there's alot of custom work put into that rifle: receiver engraving, jeweled bolt, receiver rear sight, custom stock and trigger guard. Every thing in the photo shows a total custom rifle. It's a beaut'.:thumbup:

8. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

It's looks to be non mil issue mauser, no side cut out but other than that very hard to tell

9. SlickJoeSD

is the trap door supposed to open? I have had it all apart, and have taken the "button" out of it and the door seems to be welded/stuck. also why is it called a "large ring"?

10. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

There were two different size receivers:

Top of my head, model 93 and 95s are small ring, model 98s are large ring..( but that's over simplified..)

ETA: you have to slide the floor plate back while pushing the "button", it doesn't just pop down. ( towards the trigger guard )