JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doesn't Sig make the best handguns on the market. I'm sure this is like picking the best auto company, but I'd compare them to the Lexus of the auto industry. There might be better values out there and that's why so many buy other brands and will swear by them.

I don't even own one, just going of of what i've read and been told by a lot of folks.

Sigs are great guns. I have a Sig P220 Carry (.45 ACP) that is accurate beyond belief right out of the box. I literally shot the center out of a profile target at 50 feet yesterday and I'm no expert, although I'd class myself a good shot. They're machined extremely well with out of top-line materials and the engineering is, well, basically flawless. That said, they are considered to be overpriced by a lot of people, especially since there are so many great firearms out there now. Right now I have the P220 Carry, a Kahr PM40 (micro 40 S&W that weighs 17 ounces), and a Rock Island Armory 1911 Officers Model (made in the Phillipines). To be honest, the Kahr is extremely well made and as good at what it does as the Sig and is a great carry weapon, much lighter and concealable than any Sig other than the P238. It's about 2/3 what I paid for my P220 Carry, and some would say that's a bit overpriced. The Rock Island is probably the most accurate gun I have, built like a tank, and, even though it's machining is less than perfect, shoots completely reliably with exceptional accuracy that I never expected. That gun cost me about $400. The Kahr about $600. And the P220 Carry about $900, although I traded two guns for it so it's hard to say. Other great guns on the market now for less than the Sig 226/229 are the excellent Springfield XD(M) guns, ranging from subcompacts to full-sized tactical guns in all calibers. Great shooting ergonomics, exceptional reliability, etc. I've had a CZ 75B 9mm that I still regret trading in. I only traded in my Springfield XD .45 compact because it was just too much like the P220 to justify keeping both. And I've had a Bersa .40 Ultracompact that wasn't a great gun in all aspects, but reliable and built to last a lifetime. Don't get stuck on a brand. Go to one of the local ranges, rent guns, and shoot them. If you can't afford the expense, go to the Gunbroker in Clackamas or Tigard, Wholesale Sports in Vancouver or Portland, Brightwater Ventures in Vancouver, or Keiths out in Gresham and check out the guns. You can't shoot them, but you'll get a really good idea of how they're made, what the price ranges are, and what fits your particular hand and purpose for getting a gun. The guys that work there are more than happy to let you handle the firearms and knowledgeable about what they sell. There is no "best handgun on the market". The best one is the one you'll love to shoot and can depend on to take care of you when the chips are down.

And last but not least, I forgot to mention the newest Sig on the market, the P290. It's a micro 9mm that looks to be the most solid small 9mm I've seen yet, although the Kahr PM9 is pretty hard to beat. It's a little brick of a gun, solid as a rock, and with great sights, but still in a package you'd have no problems concealing. It's even available with night sights, something you'll never get on any small 9mm other than the Kahr. I think it's running about $650-700, so it's maintaining Sig's tradition of pricing itself at the top of the cost pack.

I carry a Sig P-229. Has proven to be one of the best firearms I have ever owned. Shoots any brand of ammo without a hitch. Fits my hand and has a very natural feeling and "point". Try this with any pistol (unloaded). Close your eyes, grip and draw it, point it at where you believe your "target" to be, and then open your eyes. With many pistols you will find the barrel is pointed way over your target. Not so with the Sig. The Grip Angle is more fitted to the average shooter.

As for durability, I have put somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 rounds of 9mm through my Sig P229. Original EVERYTHING still installed. Haven't had any part break or wear out. Barrel is still tight in the slide and the bore hasn't gone "smooth".

Couldn't be more happy with my Sig.

I CC Makarov 'cause it is reliable, inexpensive, and although at 27gr fully loaded not exactly a lightweight, it doesn't bother me. But, if I were to carry any of my other guns, it'd be my P229 40sw. It is the gun I enjoy shooting the most. Can't remember any failures with either FMJ or JHP. After lightening up the hammer spring & DA trigger pull, I've gotten better with that first DA shot; I do not miss DAO. Got a 357Sig barrel for it but POI changed a bit. I suppose same will happen if you get a 9mm barrel. Most of my mags are for 40sw/357Sig, but the two 9mm mags I own have had no failures. Can shoot 2" a ragged hole at 7yd with two hands, slow fire. That's the best I can do with any of my handguns, barring my Buck Mark. With Hogue wraparound grips it just feel great on my hands. Some argue it is a bit top heavy but I don't mind, and if that is a concern, I've heard the discontinued P228 with a stamped slide is a bit more balanced. Unless you are LEO I don't think either P226/9 are optimal carry guns, but I agree with the comments above, of the two, the P229 would be it. I started buying many cheap & value guns. Now I buy fewer but do not skimp on price. If I like it, I buy it as soon as I can afford it.

Sigs are great, but I think you should consider what caliber suits your needs. There are many ways to go, but ultimately what will you do with the weapon? Obviously for plinking 22 can't be beat. You could go with the Sig 2 step program, or pick your caliber out of the gate and always add a conversion later if you choose. Sig also has the CPO program which means you get a 'new' used gun with a warranty. Keep reading, make some economical choices, but go with friends and sling some lead to decide. BE SAFE
PS MY 226 9mm rocks - accurate, easy to field strip, solid
Cheers~

I don't know about being the "best" out there. Doubtful. Good stuff, certainly the Seal teams who carry the p226 Navy seem to get the job done. For myself, I have a few and and real happy with them all. I will say that if you are planning on carrying, the old boyz over at the Sigforum all seem to think that the West German proofed Sig p228s (no rails) are the top of the food chain. You might look at it. Once you drink the koolaid though:)

Main Page

Just a thought on Sigs I forgot about in my earlier post.

If you want not only a quality gun but also some variety of calibers without having to buy several guns, consider a P-229 in .40 S&W. With this model you can swap the barrel and turn it into a .357 Sig. Sig sold this as a Combo for some time. It is also possible to purchase a Barsto Barrel in 9mm so you in essence would have a 9mm, 40 S&W, or .357 Sig without having to own three different firearms. Change barrels and shoot the ammo that is cheapest or readily available at the time.

Just a thought.
(Note: The basic firearm has to be a 40 S&W or .357 Sig, If you start with a 9mm P-229 you can't swap into the larger cased 40 or .357 ]

i have both in 9mm and like them both as dicussed above the 226 has a shorter barrel but within a reasonable distance they have similar accuracy (within my limitations). my 226 has a beavertail the 229 does not. for my hands the beavertail makes the gun more comfortable to shoot.

I carry a 229DAK in 40. It has been 100%reliable and a joy to shoot. It is on the large side to carry but I have no problem with a quality holster and belt. Sigs demand a high price for a reason, they work. If you are military or first responder they have good discounts too.
Best of luck,

My EDC is a P228 in a Ritchie Leather "stackout" (Alessi PCH clone) and it is the best full size carry gun I've used. I had Bruce Gray work the trigger to 3.5lb SA, 1911 short reset and a welded over travel stop, so it's not exactly stock. The P228 is very well balanced, the machined P229 is top heavy. The P226 is also well balanced but pretty big. If you can find a West German P228 (around $450.00) buy it.

Sigs are great. If someone asks for direction on non-polymer 9mms, there are three guns I'll recommend every time:

Sig P226/228/229
CZ 75
Browning Hi-Power

They're ultra-reliable and well-balanced guns. Just do your homework, as it's very easy to overpay for a Sig. There are really solid deals to be had with certified pre-owned (CPO/red box) guns.

Ive had great luck with my 228 and my 220 carry. Both are accurate and built extremely well. If your looking to buy, jc weaponry on this forum is who I bought through. He's the cheapest on sigs that I have found.

239 sas" gen 2 in 40s&w is the sig i decided on purchasing. it has the best trigger and its the most accurate semi-auto pistol out of box that i've come across. You could do a lot worse than buying a sig

DSCI0915.jpg

I would echo Deadshot's recommendation. I have a P226 in .40 caliber and added a Bar-Sto .357 sig barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel. I target shoot on the cheap with 9mm and have fallen in love with the accuracy of the .357 sig.

You can't go wrong with a Sig. If you are thinking concealed carry, you may want to consider the single stack P239. I've never owned one, but guys swear by them for concealed carry.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top