JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This photo says it all....

image.jpg

When I first started to read the article, I thought nice, the Statesman actually might be objective and not pushing the antis agenda.........
Statesman Journal said:
SB 941 would require that private gun sellers perform the same criminal background checks that a licensed gun retailer or gun show would do on buyers. (emphasis mine)

Then in the same paragraph I was slapped in the face........
Statesman Journal said:
The checks are meant to find out if someone is a felon or has a restraining order against him or her, which would prohibit that person from buying a firearm. Currently, people can buy guns online or through other advertisements without being checked for a criminal record. (emphasis mine)

Ray

I'd like to know more about buying firearms through the internet without going through an FFL. Does the licensee just send it to you in the mail? Are the background checks waived if you're an Amazon Prime member? Or perhaps it's a case of having it appear on your 3D printer!

Lots of good people making good points. Also lots of misinformation being spread.
I give props to Kim Thatcher. Please be sure to thank her. Also the sheriff from Grant? county. As well as the gentlemen towards the end with the black vest...well done.

Is there a video replay available anywhere yet?

Lmao, Id sure like to be able to just buy a firearm online and have it shipped right to my door without an FFL.. Especially without any unlawful consequences. Haha. Idiots.

My god, they literally breath stupidity.

I think they are referring to buying a gun on an Armslist or Facebook gun for sale/trade ad.
I might be wrong, but I've always wondered what they were going on about.

I watched most of the stream and it seemed to work fine. ...But it shut off precisely at 10 o'clock, which is when the hearing was scheduled to end so I assume I missed some. I believe they will have a recorded version available eventually as there is already a link for it on the Oregon State Legislature, but it reads that the content is being transferred to a server.

Link to general hearing site: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Committees/SJUD/2015-04-01-08-00/Agenda

Link to content (assuming it loads to the distribution server): http://oregon.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?clip_id=8967

I was really gland to see Dan Reed from the NRA there,He did well. Glen Palmer Sheriff from Grant county. GOOD FOR HIM! There were a couple of business owners that really put them, in my opinion right on the spot. Kevin Star Oregon firearms association had a very good presentation. I loved it when one guy toward the end compared some of the people on the panel with hitler, musalinie,(sp). But, I'm afraid to say it, but, it's been settled before the meeting even began. We do not have the numbers that we need at this time, to really fight this (representation). Recalls could and should have a real affect.

"Let me tell you a little story about how my ____ was killed with a gun"...

Because you know, anecdotes are what we need to consider when thinking about whether policy is effective or not.

Interesting about the background check states with the lower shooting rates and suicides than non background states---totally meaningless without the stats BEFORE the BGC laws were instituted.

And since when is some one that commits suicide going to fail a BGC?

After the 'show', a few people stood to speak. another gun shop owner and a vet.
Of course sitting there watching prozanski roll eyes and fiddle with papers while the opposition was speaking was irritating. We got our point across though it seemed obvious their minds were made up. They are more interested is tugging heart strings than making a real case in favor.

Ive emailed all the senators....here is a reply I just received from Senators Thacher

News Release

April 1, 2015

(503) 986-1713

Universal Background Check Bill Rushed Through Committee With Little Public Input

Salem, OR - Today, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a public hearing on Senate Bill 941 which would create a universal background check system in Oregon.

The bill will likely pass out of the Judiciary Committee on a party line vote on April 2nd, after being introduced on March 26th. This means that the bill will just have six business days for the public to submit comments. Only one day has been set aside to consider any changes to the bills.

"My office alone has received hundreds of calls and thousands of emails opposing SB 941," explained Senator Thatcher. "The bill is being unfairly rushed through the legislative process denying Oregonians their right to comment on the bill or to make any changes. We haven't even had enough time to read the hundreds of pieces of testimony submitted to the Legislature on the bill."

SB 941 is scheduled for a work session on April 2nd. If you would like to submit testimony on the bill you may email it to Jeff Rhoades, Judiciary Committee counsel by 5:00pm today. If you are not able to send your testimony in time, you may email it to Senator Thatcher's office.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top