JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have any info they can determine from these details? I know it's a Savage produced rifle, but not much else.

IMG_20210526_125819-COLLAGE.jpg

Also, is that an Ishy screw I see? My 43 Longbranch has one as well. It may indicate Indian service , or it may be a UK armorer fix for a weak stock. That's what I got from Peter L. posts on the issue.

Also, is that an Ishy screw I see? My 43 Longbranch has one as well. It may indicate Indian service , or it may be a UK armorer fix for a weak stock. That's what I got from Peter L. posts on the issue.
There are a few other marks on there, not sure what Ishy screw is?

Ishy screw circled in red. Long story short, a cross stock bolt, a modification done by Indian arsenals to strengthen the stock, get more use out of it once the draws start to wear out. Supposedly, also adapted by British armorers, but not often. if you look at a typical Enfield stock, once the rear draws soften up, the front trigger housing screw acts like a wedge and splits the stock. The Ishy screw adds strength and prevents this split.

Ishy.JPG

Interesting, i haven't had this one apart, and it's a Savage, so funny it's seemingly got one of these.

Interesting, i haven't had this one apart, and it's a Savage, so funny it's seemingly got one of these.
My 43 Longbranch has one. Lots of rifles went to India after WW2. Like your Savage, my LB does not have any FTR markings, and the stock is solid. This means that either was in good enough shape to be sent over as is and the screw was put just out of custom, or that it was used for grenade launch duties and the screw was added in England and the rifle may have not been in India. No way to tell for sure.

Of mine, only my 43 Longbranch Mk1* has it. You can barely see in in the picture as a small silver dot on the stock. It's the top rifle.

C6408FF2-7E2D-485A-BF54-F9F9FEF39A03.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top