Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Info On Suppressors?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Apr 5, 2012.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I am thinking of taking the leap and putting together a suppressed 9mm pistol...and, NO! It isn't for when the Zombies attack...at least not just for when the Zombies attack....okay, maybe it is for when the Zombies attack.

I am clueless at what I am looking at. I seem to find decent ones starting at about the $550 range and going up to about $900 for the nicer ones. I see some that have a noise reduction of around 25Db (the shorter ones) and up to about 30-38Db. I even see one that says it has a noise reduction of 125Db. Can there really be that big of a noticeable difference?

I know I have to pay the tax stamp and get a threaded barrel. Now I just need to decide what suppressor. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I might be putting it on my SIG P250 or I might buy a gun specifically for it.

2. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

There is lots of good info on suppressors in the NFA Weapons section of Weapons Discussion.

3. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Talk to Coctailer.

5. NickB36

NickB36 OC Member

Shot a silencerco Osprey of a buddies last night, and it really surprised me how quiet it was. It was a .40cal can on a G17 Glock. I would look at that option, at least then it is sized for two calibers. If you are going to pay the money and wait 5 months+ for your stamp to come back, then you might as well be able to use it on multiple weapons! And yes, It is around 5 months wait time right now, I just got my Sparrow back last week.

Nick.

6. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

If there's any possibility of wanting to suppress 45ACP, you can do what a lot of guys do and get a 45 suppressor and do double duty on your 9mm. I use my SilencerCo 45Osprey on both, just takes a minute or two to swap out the piston for the different thread pitch. Top two 45 suppressors IMO are the Osprey and the AAC Tirant.

chemist and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

Get a hold of cockstailer...........

8. Paradox

Paradox Seattle Member

I have an AAC Evo 9 and I am very happy with it. Hard to go wrong I'd say. It's great fun to shoot with it.

Here it is on my SIG 239.

239evo.jpg

9. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

NO NO DAN-DEE.

10. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

It's hard to not like the offset design of the Silencerco Osprey series.

11. Abiqua

They look especially good on a USP. Here's a pic of #3 shooting the Osprey on a compact USP.

osprey1.jpg

12. Schwabdl

Schwabdl Hillsboro Active Member

+1 for coctailer and the osprey 45 can it's been awesome shot it on several different caliber pistols and 300 blk rifle

13. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Pat Murphy at Oregon Research Labs also sells suppressors - I got my .22 can from him.
    Oregon_Research_Labs-LLC

The best site for suppressor data is IMO Silencer Research -
    Free Silencer Reviews
    but you have to pay for membership to access the best, most detailed data.

But really, it all comes down to what Abiqua has already said: the Osprey and the Ti-Rant are the winners.

One word of caution: the larger the caliber, the less effective the suppressor. So although .45ACP seems like a natural since 230gr. rounds are all subsonic, many buyers are disappointed that - even wet - their cans aren't "Hollywood quiet" like the .22's are.

I've been waffling over a .45 can for a couple years now. I think 9mm makes more sense, but only some ammo is subsonic, and besides, I'm just not a 9 guy. Still, I think you'd be quite satisfied with the performance of a 9mm suppressor.

14. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I will be using it with a 9mm pistol. I know it won't be like the movies, but I hope it makes a huge difference.

15. HandSolo

HandSolo hillsboro New Member

coctailer

16. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Tastes great!

17. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Yes, 9mm is suppressible to the point that the cans are "hearing safe" even when dry.

You have to clean them, and for that reason some people believe that you should only get one that can be disassembled. I say nonsense: cleaning a sealed can is perfectly doable. Sealed cans are half the weight and half the cost of user-disassembled models (well, for .22 anyway - I never researched 9's). Most suppressors sold are sealed, and they work just as well so long as you take care of them.

I wrote down the weight of mine when it was new, so I can keep track of how much buildup it accumulates.

18. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Less filling

19. Topper

Topper Seattle, WA Member

You have your ducks in a row with regards to a trust or your LEO signoff requirements right? :)

20. Abiqua

I shoot my 22 Sparrow probably more than anything else, 22 ammo is cheap and it's amazing how quiet shooting can be. My son's BB gun is louder.
    For 9mm you need 147gr or heavier for subsonic or you'll get the supersonic crack. While real life 45ACP suppressed sounds NOTHING like the movies, the Osprey is impressive, especially with handloads. It's a pleasure to roll up to the field I shoot in, open the back of the SUV, turn on the stereo and listen to music while shooting without hearing protection (other than the Osprey). :)

If you reload there are some excellent powders available that make a difference in sound as well.