JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking of taking the leap and putting together a suppressed 9mm pistol...and, NO! It isn't for when the Zombies attack...at least not just for when the Zombies attack....okay, maybe it is for when the Zombies attack.

I am clueless at what I am looking at. I seem to find decent ones starting at about the $550 range and going up to about $900 for the nicer ones. I see some that have a noise reduction of around 25Db (the shorter ones) and up to about 30-38Db. I even see one that says it has a noise reduction of 125Db. Can there really be that big of a noticeable difference?

I know I have to pay the tax stamp and get a threaded barrel. Now I just need to decide what suppressor. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I might be putting it on my SIG P250 or I might buy a gun specifically for it.

Shot a silencerco Osprey of a buddies last night, and it really surprised me how quiet it was. It was a .40cal can on a G17 Glock. I would look at that option, at least then it is sized for two calibers. If you are going to pay the money and wait 5 months+ for your stamp to come back, then you might as well be able to use it on multiple weapons! And yes, It is around 5 months wait time right now, I just got my Sparrow back last week.

Nick.

If there's any possibility of wanting to suppress 45ACP, you can do what a lot of guys do and get a 45 suppressor and do double duty on your 9mm. I use my SilencerCo 45Osprey on both, just takes a minute or two to swap out the piston for the different thread pitch. Top two 45 suppressors IMO are the Osprey and the AAC Tirant.

I have an AAC Evo 9 and I am very happy with it. Hard to go wrong I'd say. It's great fun to shoot with it.

Here it is on my SIG 239.

239evo.jpg

Pat Murphy at Oregon Research Labs also sells suppressors - I got my .22 can from him.
Oregon_Research_Labs-LLC

The best site for suppressor data is IMO Silencer Research -
Free Silencer Reviews
but you have to pay for membership to access the best, most detailed data.

But really, it all comes down to what Abiqua has already said: the Osprey and the Ti-Rant are the winners.

One word of caution: the larger the caliber, the less effective the suppressor. So although .45ACP seems like a natural since 230gr. rounds are all subsonic, many buyers are disappointed that - even wet - their cans aren't "Hollywood quiet" like the .22's are.

I've been waffling over a .45 can for a couple years now. I think 9mm makes more sense, but only some ammo is subsonic, and besides, I'm just not a 9 guy. Still, I think you'd be quite satisfied with the performance of a 9mm suppressor.

Pat Murphy at Oregon Research Labs also sells suppressors - I got my .22 can from him.
Oregon_Research_Labs-LLC

The best site for suppressor data is IMO Silencer Research -
Free Silencer Reviews
but you have to pay for membership to access the best, most detailed data.

But really, it all comes down to what Abiqua has already said: the Osprey and the Ti-Rant are the winners.

One word of caution: the larger the caliber, the less effective the suppressor. So although .45ACP seems like a natural since 230gr. rounds are all subsonic, many buyers are disappointed that - even wet - their cans aren't "Hollywood quiet" like the .22's are.

I've been waffling over a .45 can for a couple years now. I think 9mm makes more sense, but only some ammo is subsonic, and besides, I'm just not a 9 guy. Still, I think you'd be quite satisfied with the performance of a 9mm suppressor.
I will be using it with a 9mm pistol. I know it won't be like the movies, but I hope it makes a huge difference.

Yes, 9mm is suppressible to the point that the cans are "hearing safe" even when dry.

You have to clean them, and for that reason some people believe that you should only get one that can be disassembled. I say nonsense: cleaning a sealed can is perfectly doable. Sealed cans are half the weight and half the cost of user-disassembled models (well, for .22 anyway - I never researched 9's). Most suppressors sold are sealed, and they work just as well so long as you take care of them.

I wrote down the weight of mine when it was new, so I can keep track of how much buildup it accumulates.

I am thinking of taking the leap and putting together a suppressed 9mm pistol...and, NO! It isn't for when the Zombies attack...at least not just for when the Zombies attack....okay, maybe it is for when the Zombies attack.

I am clueless at what I am looking at. I seem to find decent ones starting at about the $550 range and going up to about $900 for the nicer ones. I see some that have a noise reduction of around 25Db (the shorter ones) and up to about 30-38Db. I even see one that says it has a noise reduction of 125Db. Can there really be that big of a noticeable difference?

I know I have to pay the tax stamp and get a threaded barrel. Now I just need to decide what suppressor. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I might be putting it on my SIG P250 or I might buy a gun specifically for it.

You have your ducks in a row with regards to a trust or your LEO signoff requirements right? :)

I shoot my 22 Sparrow probably more than anything else, 22 ammo is cheap and it's amazing how quiet shooting can be. My son's BB gun is louder.
For 9mm you need 147gr or heavier for subsonic or you'll get the supersonic crack. While real life 45ACP suppressed sounds NOTHING like the movies, the Osprey is impressive, especially with handloads. It's a pleasure to roll up to the field I shoot in, open the back of the SUV, turn on the stereo and listen to music while shooting without hearing protection (other than the Osprey). :)

If you reload there are some excellent powders available that make a difference in sound as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top