JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The OP was a few months back, but I'll share that someone I know attempted suicide several years ago (15?) and voluntarily admitted herself to the State Hospital where she stayed a short time before being released. About two years ago she was able to purchase a handgun and did pass the background check.

The OP was a few months back, but I'll share that someone I know attempted suicide several years ago (15?) and voluntarily admitted herself to the State Hospital where she stayed a short time before being released. About two years ago she was able to purchase a handgun and did pass the background check.

I am not 100% on this but I think checking in yourself and BEING checked in is the thing in play that makes the difference but I could be wrong also.

I am not 100% on this but I think checking in yourself and BEING checked in is the thing in play that makes the difference but I could be wrong also.

I think that could be the case. "...staff erroneously listed him as an "involuntary admission," triggering the SAFE Act reporting provision."

Retired cop sues New York State for confiscating guns after insomnia treatment | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/04/retired-cop-sues-new-york-for-confiscating-guns-after-hospital-visit-for.html)

I'm not a legal professional, but I am a professional in psychiatry.

From my own understanding of the law the wording is "involuntarily committed" or something to that effect. He checked himself in, so unless he tried to leave AMA (against medical advice) and was then held involuntarily, he should be ok. Really though, I just have a hard time believing that he was voluntarily admitted to the State Hospital. If this was somewhere else, like OHSU, Providence, or Legacy, then again, he's fine if he was voluntary.

That being said, I would be a bit hesitant to help or let your friend buy a handgun right now because the State Hospital is "the big time." That isn't usually the place you go when you're feeling down, anxious, suicidal, etc. That is where you are sent when there is nowhere else for you. Because of this, that's where any and all uncontrolled cases go, such as various forms of schizophrenia or psychosis, crippling OCD, PTSD and only the absolute most debilitating forms of depression. By that I mean depressed to the point of not having the motivation to stand up and use the bathroom.

This is not one of those questions where you are asking for a friend but you are really asking for yourself, I am really asking this for a friend.

So my Friend wants to buy a hand gun for home defense but their is one problem. He voluntarily admitted himself to the State Hospital.

This happened I would say well over 8 years ago or more. He got injured and was out of work, the injury was worse than he thought so he ended up not being able to go back to work and had to get on disability. He was a very active person, he loved to do yard work, work on his car, fishing, going out with friends ect and all this stopped with this injury.

He got very depressed about not being able to work anymore and do the things he loved. He was trapped at home and not able to see his friends ect, I do not know the full story as he does not like to talk about but he either took a bunch of pills or was going to and ended up voluntarily putting himself in the Hospital.

They held him for two or three days and evaluated him and I guess from seeing all the crazy people and stuff it snapped him out of the depression. They determined he was not a danger to himself or others and released him.

He is perfectly fine know and has been since he got out of the hospital, he got back to being active going out with friends ect and has not had any problems what so ever.

Would he be able to purchase a handgun since he voluntarily committed himself?

I would trust him with my life and my families lives.
Your friend is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law because his commitment was voluntary. He'll need to double check Oregon law but it's probably the same.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top