Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Info on Manufacture date of Browning Challenger II

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Phillyfan, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I bought a NIB unfired Browning Challenger II a couple of years ago. Loved it so much that I vowed never to sell it. To make sure I wouldn't, I threw away the box, hopefully killing the collector value/temptation to sell it. I know, DUMB, but I didn't want to make the mistake of letting it go in a weak moment. After shooting it I was sure I would never want anything else for this purpose, plinking and target shooting.

Anyway, I went to the Browning site to check the manufacture date and, according to their dating system, this was made in 1983. The kicker is that they stopped making it in 1982. Regardless of manufacture date these things in this condition go for around $400, but is it possible that I really shot myself in the foot? Could this be one of the very last made? Is it new old stock? They are kind of rare in that they were only made for a couple of years and it was the last steel framed .22 pistol they ever made.

I called Browning, and they couldn't explain why the manufacture date came out as a 1983. Did I screw up? Does it still have collector value?

2. enjr4

enjr4 Renton, WA Active Member

You should go to Browning - RimfireCentral.com Forums and ask your question. Someone will tell you all about it. I think my CII is the best .22 I have and I have a copy of every Browning Challenger.
    Ed

3. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

What he said.:thumbup:

4. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

if your collecting and threw away the box of an unfired gun .. you shot yourself in the foot.. if you bought the gun to shoot.. the only thing you did wrong was THROW AWAY THE BOX... IMO .. Don

5. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks, I went ahead and put up a thread to see if anyone knows anything over there.