JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone. Yep, I'm new, and i need some help on a H&A top break 38 cal. There seem to be one part missing that returns the trigger. It's some sort of a spring but, i can't seem to find out just what it is called. The Pat. on the weapon is Jan. 5th/Oct. 5th 1886. So far i have not been able to find a schematic to show all the parts and where they are installed. I'll try to add a picture if i can, I'm not to good on a computer. Any help? Well, forget the picture for now.
Thanks

There are probably more parts guns around than shooters. These were a common inexpensive little revolver that sold well when new. We have 2 of them that have been passed down in our family. We had both restored......they were my great grandmothers........cost much more than what they are worth, but value wasn't the issue. One she carried in her pocket while she and her young brother drove a wagon and team from Spokane to Craigmont Idaho when my Great grandfather bought a ranch and Blacksmith shop there. Another problem is just finding someone that will work on them. Parts shouldn't be a big problem. They were very hard on mainsprings, they are flat little parts that don't seem to wear well over the years, the other is timing, the hand-cylinder adjustment is difficult.

There are probably more parts guns around than shooters. These were a common inexpensive little revolver that sold well when new. We have 2 of them that have been passed down in our family. We had both restored......they were my great grandmothers........cost much more than what they are worth, but value wasn't the issue. One she carried in her pocket while she and her young brother drove a wagon and team from Spokane to Craigmont Idaho when my Great grandfather bought a ranch and Blacksmith shop there. Another problem is just finding someone that will work on them. Parts shouldn't be a big problem. They were very hard on mainsprings, they are flat little parts that don't seem to wear well over the years, the other is timing, the hand-cylinder adjustment is difficult.

I have looked at pictures of H&A top break but, i haven't found anything that comes near this one. Look at the hammer screw and go down just under the screw and you will see a pin hole but , it's not for the the trigger guard, so it must be for a trigger return spring, I don't know.

102_0121.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also try Jack First gun parts in the Dakotas.....can't remember north or south.....they used to be in Palmdale Ca. The company is run by the daughter now. Don't mistake her for some woman answering the phone. She grew up in the shop and knows more than 10 guys combined. She may make you ship to your gunsmith so be prepared.

No, i don't think I'll be sending it to you. These are keepsakes from my Dad. They may or may not be junk but, that's not what they mean to me.

Springs used to be commonly made by gunsmiths. My Smith still makes them when needed. It is difficult to find a truly competent old school smith today, like auto mechanics, they have become parts changers. That is a nice looking pistol.

Thanks, i have a 32 that looks the same way. The 32 H&A are real easy to find parts for, and go's together in a second. But the 38 has me wondering if it is a made up revolver from different parts of different revolvers.

A long time ago I was employed by an older gentleman who owned a lot of rental houses in the Portland area.
One day he asked me if I wanted some old revolvers that he had stored out in his garage
He handed me a box full of old Saturday night specials. Come to find out that his dad was once a sheriff over in Eastern Oregon and these were guns taken off of drunks, vagrants and general miscreants that he had apprehended.
I wish I had held onto them, but I traded them off over time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top