JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All good stuff to pull out! Thanks!
Unfortunately, the Dump was closed on Monday, I will be going back today. I will pick up a little more where it appears multiple camp sites along the road into that local site were occupied by those who care not! It's on the way to the dump, I will shoot then clean up some sites on the way out. I only had the two bags with me, God hold my gun hand if I see someone throwing trash out today:s0008:

This bill would allow WA Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) to proceed with improving safety in dispersed recreational target shooting on state lands.

Target shooting has been a long standing activity on public lands that has been steadily growing in-terms of participant use levels and the number of dispersed target shooting locations. Policies and management strategies have not kept pace with the intensity, scope and scale of the target shooting activity.

PLEASE join me in leaving a comment of support today.

SB 5865 - 2021-22 Establishing recreational target shooting areas on public lands.

I was alerted to this bill from a Facebook page called Target Shooting on DNR Land in Mason/Kitsap Counties, who wrote;

After years of hard work by a dedicated few, we all are finally in a position to see a REAL change for the target shooting community on DNR managed lands, but only with your help!

Currently there's a senate bill sponsored by Senator Sheldon and others that add's target shooting to an existing list of 30+ recreational activities that when done on DNR land the DNR won't be held liable for unintentional injuries. That list currently includes common activities such as camping, swimming, fishing, hunting, riding horses, hang gliding, studying nature, observing scenic artifacts, riding dirt bikes, riding pleasure craft, running, hiking and volunteering to name a few. It opens the door for the State DNR to, where deemed safe and appropriate, partner with land owners who want to offer their land to the DNR for use of a safe shooting area so it doesn't effect existing recreational activities that already exist.

In regards to safety, it would enable the DNR to put up safety related signage they currently aren't allowed to put up, helping new shooters safely find/access what are currently known as "safe dispersed shooting areas" as well as help to alert other recreational users in the area that they are approaching a boundary area known for safe recreational target shooting to occur within.

Another possible door opened is target bases being permanent so you could just bring a 2x4 and your steel target (example) and not have any debris from paper or improvised targets that often get negligently left behind. Lastly it would allow for better organized upkeep of sites currently in use. (Not by using DNR funds or resources, but by the actual user group.)

PLEASE join me in leaving a comment of support today. Your comment and opinion goes a long way with the committee and is greatly appreciated.

So far, I've only heard back from my district Senator Brandon Vick and this was their response:

Thank you for writing to the office of Representative Brandon Vick to express your support for this legislation. Rep. Vick also supports this legislation and will work hard on your behalf to push this bill through the Washington State House of Representatives.

Best Regards,

Peter Gilmour
Senior Legislative Assistant to
Representative Brandon Vick
18th Legislative District

I also sent this letter to my other 2 senator's in my district: Ann Rivers and Larry Hoff.

The letter I sent was this:

BILL: 5865 - Establishing recreational target shooting areas on public lands. (For)

SUBJECT: Comment on Bill 5865

As a concerned citizen of Washington State, and President of Trash No Land nonprofit organization, I am in favor of SB 5865.

Target shooting has been a long standing activity on public lands that has been steadily growing in-terms of participant use levels and the number of dispersed target shooting locations. Policies and management strategies have not kept pace with the intensity, scope and scale of the target shooting activity.

I am looking forward to assisting the DNR to develop a strategy, partner and collaborate with forest agencies, and involve the target shooting community in ownership and stewardship.

The conceptual end in mind is to: Resolve the safety, sanitation, and environmental issues. Reduce the fire potential associated with target shooting. Develop public ownership and involvement in the development and implementation of the strategy. Maintain safe and sustainable opportunities for recreational target shooting on our public lands.

Last Edited:
Video of Hearing on SB 5865 (the target shooting liability issue for Washington DNR).

This is from Trash No Land's Blog:

Improving safety in public land target shooting is not rocket science. It doesn't take years of talks, meetings, public comments, analysis and reports, just to have nothing to show for it. It can be done in one summer.

Allow each state forest region to decide what is best for their region and give them the support to help improve public safety! Select existing dispersed shooting sites, that fit a certain set of criteria for a safe place to shoot, and modify it to be an attractive, safe and enjoyable place where recreational target practice can easily be done within the existing rules. It doesn't have to be a facility with amenities, but it does need to be a place where shooters know they can shoot safely and legally.

Improvements propose to develop a strategy, partner and collaborate with forest agencies, and involve the target shooting community in ownership and stewardship. The end result is to:

• Resolve the safety, sanitation, and environmental issues.

• Reduce the fire potential associated with target shooting.

• Develop public ownership and involvement in the development and implementation of the strategy.

• Maintain safe and sustainable opportunities for recreational target shooting on our public lands.

Public safety is an absolute MUST HAVE! Why the delay?

Here is a recording of the hearing on SB 5865, Jan 27th, 2022. After a few short sound bites, the full unedited discussion is presented.

Video of Hearing on SB 5865 (the target shooting liability issue for Washington DNR).

This is from Trash No Land's Blog:

Improving safety in public land target shooting is not rocket science. It doesn't take years of talks, meetings, public comments, analysis and reports, just to have nothing to show for it. It can be done in one summer.

Allow each state forest region to decide what is best for their region and give them the support to help improve public safety! Select existing dispersed shooting sites, that fit a certain set of criteria for a safe place to shoot, and modify it to be an attractive, safe and enjoyable place where recreational target practice can easily be done within the existing rules. It doesn't have to be a facility with amenities, but it does need to be a place where shooters know they can shoot safely and legally.

Improvements propose to develop a strategy, partner and collaborate with forest agencies, and involve the target shooting community in ownership and stewardship. The end result is to:

• Resolve the safety, sanitation, and environmental issues.

• Reduce the fire potential associated with target shooting.

• Develop public ownership and involvement in the development and implementation of the strategy.

• Maintain safe and sustainable opportunities for recreational target shooting on our public lands.

Public safety is an absolute MUST HAVE! Why the delay?

Here is a recording of the hearing on SB 5865, Jan 27th, 2022. After a few short sound bites, the full unedited discussion is presented.

Sounds like "blah blah blah blah"....NEXT?
About what you'd expect, unfortunately. Unless I'm missing something?

Sounds like "blah blah blah blah"....NEXT?
About what you'd expect, unfortunately. Unless I'm missing something?
No, you got that right. Just constant blah blah blah. I like the way Herb Gerhardt said it... "It's just lip service we've been getting".

No, you got that right. Just constant blah blah blah. I like the way Herb Gerhardt said it... "It's just lip service we've been getting".
Those kinds don't care. You can write to them, confront them, what ever.
If they were to put the wording into the books, then they might have to do something that would make more people enjoy target shooting. Can't have that.

When considering the cost of a government contract with a third party ("to look at areas that would be suitable for target shooting". Ha! Any of us could have done that. And at no charge!), plus the cost of a 'suitability analysis' (what ever that waist of money is!), and the cost of all those office hours analyzing the data (which probably never really happened), and the cost of all the public meeting hours throughout the state (just to hear so many comments that it's too overwhelming to digest and needs more discussions and analysis!), and who knows how much extra costs were billed in trying to make a decision,... we probably could have had lots of places improved by now!

Geez, DNR knows how to BS the public! It's typical politician talk... Say something to make you feel good. Well, let me remind you...

"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

And we're not fooled!

When considering the cost of a government contract with a third party ("to look at areas that would be suitable for target shooting". Ha! Any of us could have done that. And at no charge!), plus the cost of a 'suitability analysis' (what ever that waist of money is!), and the cost of all those office hours analyzing the data (which probably never really happened), and the cost of all the public meeting hours throughout the state (just to hear so many comments that it's too overwhelming to digest and needs more discussions and analysis!), and who knows how much extra costs were billed in trying to make a decision,... we probably could have had lots of places improved by now!

Geez, DNR knows how to BS the public! It's typical politician talk... Say something to make you feel good. Well, let me remind you...

"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

And we're not fooled!
You are so correct I had to stop reading half way through! :s0114:

Honestly my concern is once a certain number of developed sites exist, they will take away the rest of the woods from us for shooting.
Good point. Once they'd get us locked into designated areas and the scum bags disrespect those sites "They" could come in and close them too, under the pretense of keeping us/the forest safe.

Time to get back on the clean-up wagon. The Neal Creek area is taking a beating from dumping, late night drunken parties and a whole lot of shooting slobs. Picked up a couple bags tonight. Another dumped rv. Anyone want to meet Satirday morning in Scio at 9 and head up? I will bring the trailer and trash bags. Let me know.
From tonight
20220210_171151.jpg 20220210_171205.jpg 20220210_171138.jpg 20220210_171430.jpg
Afterwards
20220210_173841.jpg 20220210_173845.jpg 20220210_173857.jpg
The rv
IMG955057.jpg 20220210_171526.jpg

Todays adventures. The email I sent to B.L.M. manager in the area.
Hi John,
Hope all is well. Went up Neal Creek today to do a bunch of cleaning at the quarry. You probably know about all the dumping that has been happening and the abandon rv's. Tracy and I have been calling them in to the Sheriffs office. Today there was a huge pile of metal and garbage bags. As I was wondering where to start as the goal was to get stuff that was over the side some young adults showed up. After talking to them they said the pile of metal and trash bags were from them picking stuff up that was dumped over the edge plus the reminants of the 20ft travel trailer that was burned. They helped me load the bags. I didnt have the trailer with me. They said that a friend of theirs was going to get the dumped camper on Sunday. They will call me they said and I was going to go help. I picked up a couple of bags more and the truck is too full. Went up to the 10 1e ?? line and there is a big load there also. Will bring my trailer on Sunday and hopefully will get that also. Great day. Even a big herd of elk.
Please call me. I have more info on the trailer burning and dumping.
Thanks
Craig
Well the wife is off work early so getting lunch and off for trip 2.
20220218_075239.jpg 20220218_082109.jpg IMG_5144.jpg 20220218_085640.jpg 20220218_085624.jpg 20220218_085143.jpg 20220218_085111.jpg 20220218_074126.jpg

IMG955057(1).jpg

Last Edited:
Todays adventures. The email I sent to B.L.M. manager if the area.
Hi John,
Hope all is well. Went up Neal Creek today to do a bunch of cleaning at the quarry. You probably know about all the dumping that has been happening and the abandon rv's. Tracy and I have been calling them in to the Sheriffs office. Today there was a huge pile of metal and garbage bags. As I was wondering where to start as the goal was to get stuff that was over the side some young adults showed up. After talking to them they said the pile of metal and trash bags were from them picking stuff up that was dumped over the edge plus the reminants of the 20ft travel trailer that was burned. They helped me load the bags. I didnt have the trailer with me. They said that a friend of theirs was going to get the dumped camper on Sunday. They will call me they said and I was going to go help. I picked up a couple of bags more and the truck is too full. Went up to the 10 1e ?? line and there is a big load there also. Will bring my trailer on Sunday and hopefully will get that also. Great day. Even a big herd of elk.
Please call me. I have more info on the trailer burning and dumping.
Thanks
Craig
Well the wife is off work early so getting lunch and off for trip 2.
View attachment 1134621View attachment 1134620View attachment 1134615View attachment 1134616View attachment 1134617View attachment 1134618View attachment 1134619View attachment 1134622

View attachment 1134614
So it's looking like non-shooters that are using the place for a dump now?
That's really depressing. Because we know law enforcement doesn't enforce laws anymore.

Craig and Tracy are true die-hard stewards! Thanks you two! And thanks to those young adults for adulting in such an awesome adult way! I think they are more adult that a lot of adults I know! A good bunch right there!

Do you know how they plan to remove the truck camper? And are they going to try to get the camp trailer? Happen to have their contact info?

And what is with the tire being cut like that? That's exactly how one was cut that I found in the forest behind my house. Like a sawzall cut it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top