JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok im looking for an inexspensive bolt gun chambered in .223 i know there are alot of entry level guns out there i was hoping to get some opinions on best bang for the buck! (Pun intened)My budget is 400.00 or under (optics not included) what do you guys/gals think?

Marlin x7 comes with a accutype trigger like that on the savage i have the model marlin xl7 the l standing for long action i have mine in the 3006 378.00 in stainless from buds free shipping even cheaper if you want a blued type do a google on the marlin xl7 you wont be sorry

My father in law bought the savage axis from wal-mart for under $300 closer to $250 in .223. The trigger was horrible but after a $60 trigger job that thing will drive nails.

I was at Dick's Sporting Goods in Clackamas, OR last week and they had a .223 Remington 700 with a camo stock, bull barrel and scope for around $420.00 to $450.00 I think. that's around $200 to $250.00 off retail. The scope isn't the best but sell it and put the money towards a new one. That's my next big purchase, only in .308.

Right now Dick's has a sale on Remington 700 Varmint's. After the sale it is $499, then a mail in rebate of $50 brings the price down to $450. That rifle includes a scope and is probably exactly the same as the one Gun Mechanic is showing. A Weatherby Vanguard is an incredible value. As is the Remington 770 rifle/scope package(usually under $300 and I believe available in .223). I have heard good things about the Savage Axis rifle/scope combo's as well(also under $300). The Marlin XL7 is right in your price range, but I personally would opt for the others that I mentioned. Thompson/Center budget models are great. The new Ruger American looks to be a wonderful, inexpensive bolt gun. It is worth looking into on the Ruger site. I imagine I will own 3 or 4 Ruger American's in the next year or so. Of all these "budget" rifles, it is hard to beat the Weatherby in my opinion. As far as quality for your dollar they are great. At the same time, any of these rifles should be able to do their job just fine. Kip

I was at Dick's Sporting Goods in Clackamas, OR last week and they had a .223 Remington 700 with a camo stock, bull barrel and scope for around $420.00 to $450.00 I think. that's around $200 to $250.00 off retail. The scope isn't the best but sell it and put the money towards a new one. That's my next big purchase, only in .308.

Pretty decent deal.

Check out Bi-Mart, they have the Weatherby Vanguard Series 1 on a close-out for $359. Or you can find the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 going for $429. Here's a pic of one that picked up recently, with a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope in Leupold bases and rings. The Series 2 is 'guaranteed' to shoot SUB-MOA, with match ammo. I haven't had a chance to go test that yet - but am looking forward to it. I was going to buy the Series 1, for $70-80 less, then use the extra money towards optics. But the local Bi-Marts were out of the .308, and was going to take up to a month to find one. So I grabbed the S2.

Savage,Savage,Savage. I have some custom made long range rifles made by one of the Best Gun Smiths in the USA Paid over $3,000.00 aprox ea by the time I got the scopes on them. My point is that I Had not done any shooting at all for years and the Customs sat in the Closit A friend of mine ivited me to go to a range with him. He had a .223 in one of the military vertions whitch I did not want so I was passing one of the local chain sporting goods places and I stoped. they had a Savage Rifle on sale with a Bushnell 4-12x40 mm on it for $299.95. it was the model with the synthedic stock and it was the edge model Gun. this gun had an awful triger in It. But the Range where I was shooting it at, had a Gun smith by the name of Cloward Happened to be there. He noticed the problem I was having and since He had done some repair work for me before, He reconized me. He said he could put a trigger in the gun that would more than likely fix the Problem that I was having with my groops. make a long story shorter. A week later the gun shot just like one of my customs. at one Hundred Yards I had several groops that you could cover with a quarter and one with a dime Out of the box. Only change was the trigger. I just purchased another Savage this time with there new triger in it. It will drive Nails at One Hundred yards. I have no Idea what Savage has done but if you want some thing that will shoot Striaght the first Time out of the box . Take a look at the savage line of guns.
Oldtomcat

I have a Thompson Center Venture .308. Good looking gun. Looks very similar to a Tikka T3. Has an adjustable trigger detachable mag. they market it as a 1" MOA and it is. I have the savage in 30-06. and a vangaurd in .270. Rem 700 7mm mag. They all shoot good and will kill an animal. but for the price/features I would get a Thompson center. Im planning on getting a 22-250 in t/c. Only problem is There was a recall on the ventures for something. The only place i could find one was gun broker. It was sent back and fixed. in closing Savage great guns, Weatherby Vanguard, thompson center, remington 700, are all good guns. Im sure some one has said this im too lazy to scroll up right now. Just go to some gun stores. or the portland gun show and play with them. see what one you like the looks and feel off. I would stay away from Howa. Never owned one. they just look cheap

Bimart is selling the weatherby vanguard for 329, can't beat it!! I don't think the marlin comes in 223 unless it just came out, otherwise that would be the way to go.

Bimart is selling the weatherby vanguard for 329, can't beat it!! I don't think the marlin comes in 223 unless it just came out, otherwise that would be the way to go.

Wow, they've come down even more. I looked at the Vanguard series I first, they had it for $359 here in Portland area, but I was looking for one in .308, and the closest one was in La Grande. They told me it was going to be about 3 weeks to a month to get it, 'cuz their trucks didn't run regularly out there - lol. Then I read about the trigger recall on them and started having second thoughts - even though I was probably going to replace the trigger with a Timney anyway. So add in the price of the replacement trigger and the gun, and the Vanguard Series 2 with the MOA guarantee, 3-way safety, and 2-stage trigger was cheaper. Got mine for $449.

But if they have the Series 1 for 329, figure another 120 for new trigger, and you are right in the ball park. All depends on which one you like. And alot of folks are happy with the trigger they come with, so maybe $329 is a keeper, if you can find the caliber you like.

Another vote for the Stevens 200. It's a bottom line Savage and you can swap in Savage parts. Find someone building a bench gun and buy their used accutrigger off them and a nicer stock and you've got a great gun for super cheap. Want a heavier barrel? It can be done on your kitchen table, with no need to send it to a gun smith. I've got a Stevens in .22-250, it's shoot great in the stock setup. And while it isn't the prettiest thing on the range line, form follow function.

However, that being said there are some great deals listed here. 700's are nice rifles, I really like mine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top