JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all. I wanted to start a thread where people can put their experiences with people that have sold you a firearm and gave you bad information regarding that gun or about other firearm related info.

Mine happened a few months after i turned 18, graduated high school and found myself a full time job. It was near the end of summer beginning of fall a few years ago and i saw that Dicks had a sale on their marlin 795's, I went in to purchase my first gun, (First and last gun i will purchase from them). I took my uncle with me as he has been into guns for a very long time and knew a lot more than i did. I'm up at the counter and looking at the rifle and checking it out and the sales clerk tries telling me that it has what is known as a "dry slide" that doesn't need to be lubed or oiled because of how it was designed. I immediately question him on this as i had never heard of this and also asked my uncle who was with me and he informed me that to his knowledge all guns need to be oiled or lubed. We tried to convince the guy working that he was wrong but he wouldn't have none of it. I sure hope that no other person that was new to guns followed that guys advice on how to take care of guns. That could to a very costly mistake.

So guys/gals what are your stories about inexperienced firearms salesman whether it be a private sale or from a dealer.

Nobody buys guns at Dicks anymore, the inexperienced one in that department is you. 2rn7qqt.jpg

Ok, serious moment now... there's a bunch of manufacturers that claim certain guns/models of theirs are "self lubricating" due to the coating they use. I don't own Marlin's so I can't say if it's true in their case, but for the most part the self lubricating claims are just marketing BS. Sure, you may be able to shoot the gun without lubrication, but it's certainly gonna wear a lot faster.

not gonna say where but when looking at some 1911 45's and discussing different features an employee at a LGS told me that "all 1911 parts are interchangeable"

went to dicks a month ago

"If you hunt with an AR your either stupid or lying" Salesman's words when I asked where the ARs went?

Also when I was there he sold a guy a 22 WMR gun & then sold him 22LR. the guy went out shooting & something bad happened, he came back & was pissed & yelling at the store clerk because his rifle dropped all the ammo out when he was cycling it or something."

I Hate that store. worst salesman ever

I thought all true 1911 parts ARE interchangeable. I have always been under that impression but never been a real big 1911 guy. I love the 45acp round but I love it with a 13 round capacity per mag. I get the 1911 accuracy is much better but I am confident in my accuracy with a Glock 21 or a FN FNX 45.
Back to the point of the thread I have gone into dicks and the issue was that I was knowledgeable about the firearms I was looking at and the guy argued literally to the point of being beet red in the face claiming he is an ex marine and knows everything about every firearms out there. I even pulled up a manufacturer page on my phone and he would not look being that he "did not have to as he already knows everything about them". I found it amusing and bought the gun as they do not get commission at dicks and it was a good sale but I could not help making remarks the whole time about how these new semi autos must have been secret marine issued only 30 years ago due to his age and 'knowledge due to handling all guns in his marine days". He also made the comment that the only round he will trust for self defense is 44 mag. I asked if there was compensation issues and he did not get the reference just said it is the only round with true stopping power. I laughed and said I carry a .380 sometimes so I guess I am screwed.

Bottom line is dicks hires anyone that can learn to run a background check. If you want knowledge go on the web or a true shop like my favorite new place Frontline Arms where if they do not know something the unspeakable words from a gun shop are uttered by the two guys that run it "I am not sure but I would be happy to look into it". Rather than answer with some made up BS to make them seem knowledgeable. I never got this. What is wrong with saying I do not know??!!

Anderson Rifles do not use any lubricant at all.
<broken link removed>

That's not true. They don't use a "wet lubricant" they use a different kind of lubricant they treat their guns with. So in fact they do need some type of friction reducer. All guns and metal surfaces that rub against each other need a lubricant. That was one of the first lessons i was taught during my 3 years of metal manufacturing classes in high school.

not gonna say where but when looking at some 1911 45's and discussing different features an employee at a LGS told me that "all 1911 parts are interchangeable"

all true 1911's have interchangeable parts, the only thing that may differ is from series 70 and 80 is the extractor...

if the parts don't interchange, it's not a 1911... that said parts need to be fitted, but they can be made to fit...

that said there are different sizes of barrel links and beavertails..

That's what I thought although I am not really into the guns I have always shot with people that are and swap parts with each other or buy from each other and the parts are not from the same manufacturers. Not my style of gun mostly because of cost and because that is one thing I always have liked about them when my friends change up the guns on a regular basis. That could get me into trouble with the wife considering how much I know some of my shooting buddies have invested in their guns. I always figure I can have 2 more guns I like rather than a 1911 I like for the cost. Then again that kind of thinking is why I am selling so many guns lately. Safe gets too full and the wife gets a glimpse and starts talking about those horrible things like you have to sell some before you buy more...I would rather just get a bigger safe but I only dare say that here.

I was at a LGS...in PDX and was waiting for my BC to come back. I over head a salesman tell the older and very inexperienced couple that the Sig Sauer P229 they were holding was one of the best "striker" fired pistols they could buy....he went on to explain how the hammer could be decocked without hitting the "striker" and firing the pistol....:s0155:

Dicks, MOST bi-marts, sports authorities, Joes when it was in business, Fred Myers, walmart.. And even firearm stores.. They dont have a tremendous knowlage of everything.. Just their top sellers or the firearms they have deals with.. Now I understand that a mere man wont have knowlage of everything firearm related.. But if you have three or even two guys you could split the knowlage up between the both of them and have either specialize in specific catigories. Hell, I own a business and work an AM job and have enough time to check out anything new in the AK and AR world as well as stay on top of current magazine and platforn prices on a myriad of firearm makes and models.. And its not even my job.. Well it is as a consumer.

Idk.. Ive yet to walk away from a store, shop or garage and had genuinely learned something or had an overwhelmingly great experience.. Most just want you to buy their stuff and get out.

Big box stores are the worst.. Ran by folks who don't know the magwell from the muzzle.

Nobody buys guns at Dicks anymore, the inexperienced one in that department is you. 2rn7qqt.jpg

I did say that was my first and last gun i bought there lol. And i do admit at the time i was very inexperienced with it being my first firearm and all. But that was the reason why i had my uncle with me.

Living in Central Oregon, we have a pretty good sized gun culture, so most people over here know guns pretty well. However, we do have a few "tacticool" shops that are popping up where every guy that works there acts like they are straight off the helo deck from Seal Team 6. These guys are amazing....they can dump a 30 round AR mag, hit all their targets at 1500 yards, slap in a fresh mag, pop off a quick double tap with their Glock and put in another plug of Skoal all in one motion.....Either that or they have been playing too much Call of Duty.
Needless to say, they're not very useful sources of information.

Living in Central Oregon, we have a pretty good sized gun culture, so most people over here know guns pretty well. However, we do have a few "tacticool" shops that are popping up where every guy that works there acts like they are straight off the helo deck from Seal Team 6. These guys are amazing....they can dump a 30 round AR mag, hit all their targets at 1500 yards, slap in a fresh mag, pop off a quick double tap with their Glock and put in another plug of Skoal all in one motion.....Either that or they have been playing too much Call of Duty.
Needless to say, they're not very useful sources of information.

I am pretty pleased I can rub my tummy and pat my head at the same time....

all true 1911's have interchangeable parts, the only thing that may differ is from series 70 and 80 is the extractor...

if the parts don't interchange, it's not a 1911... that said parts need to be fitted, but they can be made to fit...

that said there are different sizes of barrel links and beavertails..
if it needs to be fitted then its not interchangeable. There are very few parts that are sold as drop in ready. I wouldn't sell a customer on an idea that they could customize or repair a pistol on their own.

if it needs to be fitted then its not interchangeable. There are very few parts that are sold as drop in ready. I wouldn't sell a customer on an idea that they could customize or repair a pistol on their own.

That's really mincing words... so anything that is not drop in its not interchangeable..

So a barrel from the same manufacturer for the same gun is not interchangeable and you have to order them with different product codes to fit?

And why can't the buyer customize their gun? I have and I do...and I never went to gun smith school

my apologies, maybe then its just the way I interpret interchangeable. The parts are all very similar yes and its possible to learn to install them proper without a gunsmith. I just wouldn't want to leave the impression one can buy any 1911 part and install it in another at random.

I thought all true 1911 parts ARE interchangeable. I have always been under that impression but never been a real big 1911 guy. I love the 45acp round but I love it with a 13 round capacity per mag. I get the 1911 accuracy is much better but I am confident in my accuracy with a Glock 21 or a FN FNX 45.
Back to the point of the thread I have gone into dicks and the issue was that I was knowledgeable about the firearms I was looking at and the guy argued literally to the point of being beet red in the face claiming he is an ex marine and knows everything about every firearms out there. I even pulled up a manufacturer page on my phone and he would not look being that he "did not have to as he already knows everything about them". I found it amusing and bought the gun as they do not get commission at dicks and it was a good sale but I could not help making remarks the whole time about how these new semi autos must have been secret marine issued only 30 years ago due to his age and 'knowledge due to handling all guns in his marine days". He also made the comment that the only round he will trust for self defense is 44 mag. I asked if there was compensation issues and he did not get the reference just said it is the only round with true stopping power. I laughed and said I carry a .380 sometimes so I guess I am screwed.

Bottom line is dicks hires anyone that can learn to run a background check. If you want knowledge go on the web or a true shop like my favorite new place Frontline Arms where if they do not know something the unspeakable words from a gun shop are uttered by the two guys that run it "I am not sure but I would be happy to look into it". Rather than answer with some made up BS to make them seem knowledgeable. I never got this. What is wrong with saying I do not know??!!

Hey, at least he wasn't claiming to have been a Navy SEAL or a Force Recon sniper. If that were the case, you could have gotten his name and sent it to Don Shipley's page on Youtube.

was just in Sportsman warehouse the other day and normally the guys are really pretty cool, yea theres one or 2 cocky guys but have always had pretty good service. Was looking for a ruger 22/45 lite to plink with. I went in and lo and behold there were 3 of them. I asked the guy "hey is that a 22/45 lite" and he looked at me like I was crazy and said nope. I said "go take a look at it" and he looks at it and says, yea. I asked if I could feel its weight and he looked over at another customer totally ignoring me. I say excuse me can I please see how heavy it is. He finally reluctantly hands it to me, I handle it for a brief moment and hand it back. I say "so you have 3 of them right now?" and he says no only the one. I point at the other 2 and say "arent those for sale and he replies " i guess so... Would have bought it. Love my mk 3 hunter but wanted something lighter I could shoot one handed for days. between the guy not knowing what products hes selling and clear attitude I decided to wait. Hadnt seen him there before so mabye he was a newbie but still, its a common gun and Im not pushy. I say please and thank you and wait my turn. oh well, first world problems...

I ran into a guy selling paintball guns at a gun show in AZ - guy tried to tell me you could drop a 50 AE bullet in it and fire the whole thing and it was armor piercing and explosive on impact... guy was wearing tiger stripe BDUs and claimed he was SF and said since the thing would "explode on impact" that it wouldn't be traceable as any rifling would be destroyed... said it all with a straight face. I guess he was so deluded that he believed his own BS.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top