JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have never loaded 25-06 before and need some brass. I have a bunch of 30-06 brass but wondering if converting it is the right way to go. Anybody who reloads 25-06, willing to share their opinions on acquiring some affordable brass to get started. Should I buy loaded ammo or buy just the brass? Will standard RCBS FL die set resize 30-06 brass alright? What brands of brass will give me the best value and most reloads?

The use will be for target shooting 300 yards or less to start. Possibly 600 max if rifle does well at shorter ranges.

I'd buy some factory loads, probably Federal and start with those. A "lot" of 40 (two boxes) represents a reasonable number to load, go to the range, and repeat with. Have a couple more boxes ready for when those you started with start failing.
And I'm thinking if you start with 30-06 brass it'll need annealing from the gitgo.

Way back in the 1970s when I had hair that wasn't grey, 25-06 was considered a wildcat cartridge. I recall getting some pick up 30-06 brass and necking it down and trimming the length to make the 25-06 round. Nobody sold them commercially back then. Sigh, I remember that was one sweet shooting rifle.

You can lube up the 06 case and run them in a 25/06 die. Then you will need to trim to length and most likely thin the brass at the neck
While it's a good idea to check, I doubt the neck thickness will be a problem. 25-06 brass shouldn't be too hard to find or too expensive, but 30-06 can often times still be picked up off of the ground!

You could scrounge your local range. The one I frequent often has a fair amount of brass for the picking, even in less common calibers. I know I've found a small handful of 25-06

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top