Inexpensive 25-06 brass sources

arakboss

Reactions
I have never loaded 25-06 before and need some brass. I have a bunch of 30-06 brass but wondering if converting it is the right way to go. Anybody who reloads 25-06, willing to share their opinions on acquiring some affordable brass to get started. Should I buy loaded ammo or buy just the brass? Will standard RCBS FL die set resize 30-06 brass alright? What brands of brass will give me the best value and most reloads?

The use will be for target shooting 300 yards or less to start. Possibly 600 max if rifle does well at shorter ranges.

Certaindeaf

Reactions
  • Woke Up Like This
I'd buy some factory loads, probably Federal and start with those. A "lot" of 40 (two boxes) represents a reasonable number to load, go to the range, and repeat with. Have a couple more boxes ready for when those you started with start failing.
And I'm thinking if you start with 30-06 brass it'll need annealing from the gitgo.

Pops1911

Reactions
Way back in the 1970s when I had hair that wasn't grey, 25-06 was considered a wildcat cartridge. I recall getting some pick up 30-06 brass and necking it down and trimming the length to make the 25-06 round. Nobody sold them commercially back then. Sigh, I remember that was one sweet shooting rifle.

orygun

Reactions
You can lube up the 06 case and run them in a 25/06 die. Then you will need to trim to length and most likely thin the brass at the neck
While it's a good idea to check, I doubt the neck thickness will be a problem. 25-06 brass shouldn't be too hard to find or too expensive, but 30-06 can often times still be picked up off of the ground!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Have done several transfers through this shop. All were pleasant experiences. Folks were friendly and pleasant, prices were fair. I wouldn't...
  • Gorge Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Good little shop. Have transferred numerous pieces here and it's always been pain free. My only little gripe is limited hours (currently not...
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place to pickup from sites like Davidson's. Low fees. Friendly folks.
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    This has been my go to for all transfers. Peter, the two Jasons and Joe have always been very professional and accommodating. The transfer...
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent transfer and very helpful
    Was there yesterday and had my first private party transfer done. Went really smoothly and pj was very helpful. He was willing to make an...
Top Bottom