JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the boating accident, good story. parasailing, parafoil as they called it back then, under the I-205 bridge. WOW

Tonkin owned a warehouse next to the SE Portland shop I worked at. He had a really nice collection of vintage sport cars displayed inside.
I was friends with the guy who detailed the exotic cars at the Gran Turismo dealership and was given a private tour one day.
They're was a really cool room suspended above the cars below. It had slanted mirrored windows that you could see out, but not in.
White fur type carpet, exotic furniture, custom bar. You get the picture. My guess is that Ron entertained special guests up there.
My favorite car was the yellow convertible Daytona Ferrari.
His son died on the river because he was drunk and forgot to buckle his harness properly, then fell out of it from over 150' in the air.

Never as colorful or as well remembered as Friendly Chevrolet out in Lake Oswego and my have we got a deal for you! Its a 1974 Chevrolet pickup with 4 wheel drive, 454 engine, air conditioning, and yes, 4 on the floor! Only $2999 ! Beloved sponsors of a good period in history as well as Portland Wrestling.

I worked at a commercial glass shop in the NE Gateway district when I was 17 yrs old and Ron Tonkin's dealerships gave the shop a steady amount of auto glass repair work.
One day, I was asked to drive a new Ferrari from the Gran Turismo showroom to our shop, because some vandals had shot a bullet through the showrooms plate glass window and into the driver side windshield of a Ferrari.
I rode a motorcycle to work that day, and had a full face helmet on hand, so the car wouldn't have to be towed to our shop.
The general manager balked at letting me drive the car, but finally relented when my boss promised to follow me to our shop in his service van.
I never got out of first gear, but I did manage to get the rpm's up to near red line between stop lights.
It was like going to sports car heaven for a teenager.

Scott Thomason......wow. Im not reall sure exactly what happened there but it reminds me of Jack And The Beanstalk. Except instead of trading the family fortune for some beans it was essentially traded for the *** of a young Asian fellow.

I worked at a commercial glass shop in the NE Gateway district when I was 17 yrs old and Ron Tonkin's dealerships gave the shop a steady amount of auto glass repair work.
One day, I was asked to drive a new Ferrari from the Gran Turismo showroom to our shop, because some vandals had shot a bullet through the showrooms plate glass window and into the driver side windshield of a Ferrari.
I rode a motorcycle to work that day, and had a full face helmet on hand, so the car wouldn't have to be towed to our shop.
The general manager balked at letting me drive the car, but finally relented when my boss promised to follow me to our shop in his service van.
I never got out of first gear, but I did manage to get the rpm's up to near red line between stop lights.
It was like going to sports car heaven for a teenager.

My brush with sexy autos was not quite as exotic as the Ferrari. I worked at Dick Niles Lincoln Mercury in 1972, moving cars, etc. Rode out to Techtronix Beaverton to drop off a customer and bring his DeTomaso Pantera back in for servicing. The owner didn't trust my Allman Brothers roadie appearance and made a big deal out of checking the odometer when he handed me the keys. Back at the dealership, I asked the sales manager what a Pantera might be worth. "It's out of your league kid, ten-seven."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top