JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hoping someone can help me.

Trying to find information about indoor shooting ranges on private property in clark county. I am out side of city limits. Would like to build a pistol range on my property using a shipping container or something similar if possible. I have tried searching for any information and have come up empty handed.

Thanks in advance

Start with Clark county code, title 9 I believe covers private ranges.

Backstop and ventilation are the big things. 30 Feet per minute of air velocity through the "range" gives you good visibility and decent air quality. That's about 2,000 cfm of exhaust air flow being sucked down range.

Trying to find information about indoor shooting ranges on private property in clark county. I am out side of city limits. Would like to build a pistol range on my property using a shipping container or something similar if possible. I have tried searching for any information and have come up empty handed.

Thanks in advance
I looked at a house a few years ago in Vancouver and I kid u not a guy cut two circular holes in the basement foundation about 3 1/2 feet in diameter. He dug two round tunnels over 50' long. The tunnels went under his yard AND the neighbors yard! He had cables and an electric motor on both to run the targets up and down. A while later I talked to someone who used to live in that neighborhood and he said he heard gunfire there a lot and could never tell where it was coming from. Pretty crazy for in town.

I looked at a house a few years ago in Vancouver and I kid u not a guy cut two circular holes in the basement foundation about 3 1/2 feet in diameter. He dug two round tunnels over 50' long. The tunnels went under his yard AND the neighbors yard! He had cables and an electric motor on both to run the targets up and down. A while later I talked to someone who used to live in that neighborhood and he said he heard gunfire there a lot and could never tell where it was coming from. Pretty crazy for in town.

I looked at that house while house hunting 16 years ago - unless there are more then one...

You wouldn't want to skimp on air circulation, that's for sure.

Lead poisoning is no joke & can be cumulative/debilitating. Just a plain mess.

Done well, it'd be an outstanding feature to have available. Done poorly, could literally be a death sentence.

I looked at that house while house hunting 16 years ago - unless there are more then one...
Probably the same one. Huge square feet and basement was made into a man cave as I remember. If that house was in the country then the tunnels thing would probably be fine legally and no threat of neighbors kids falling in a "sinkhole" someday ha ha.

Thanks in advance
Another possibility to think about is to shoot suppressed with subsonics only. That would make a huge difference if you happen to have skiddish neighbors. If you had a properly built range and shot suppressed (with subsonic ammo to avoid the sonic boom which carries over vast distances) no one would even know you are shooting really and are unlikely to get upset. If you are loud you run the risk of upsetting the neighbors -and if they are the whiny/mall cop type might complain all the time. Even if your shooting is legal having enemies for neighbors is no fun (and remember some people with nothing better to do can get obsessed with something like this).

Last Edited:
Probably the same one. Huge square feet and basement was made into a man cave as I remember. If that house was in the country then the tunnels thing would probably be fine legally and no threat of neighbors kids falling in a "sinkhole" someday ha ha.

Sounds like maybe a different house.

The one I looked at was in town off fourth plain. Maybe 3 stories with a basement - old house.

This one had concrete 3' ID pipe laid into the ground and then covered so when you stood in the basement it was a comfortable hight to shoot a pistol.

Had a pulley system to send targets down the pipe and retrieve them.

I loved the shooting gallery, was ok with the house but living in the ghetto was a no go for me.

Another possibility to think about is to shoot suppressed with subsonics only. That would make a huge difference if you happen to have skiddish neighbors. If you had a properly built range and shot suppressed (with subsonic ammo to avoid the sonic boom which carries over vast distances) no one would even know you are shooting really and are unlikely to get upset. If you are loud you run the risk of upsetting the neighbors -and if they are the whiny/mall cop type might complain all the time. Even if your shooting is legal having enemies for neighbors is no fun (and remember some people with nothing better to do can get obsessed with something like this).

Great idea!

Even if you had to buy a few supressors at $1000 each, its less then one 40' container would cost you.

Great idea!

Even if you had to buy a few supressors at $1000 each, its less then one 40' container would cost you.

I get them from work for cheap. :) Haha. Plus that is waiting like 10 months atleast l.

No basement here. Just a ranch style house with almost 2 acres. I was looking at the Ready Range for ideas. Originally thought about maybe just getting one of those. People were putting it in there garage. That was until I found out the bare base model with nothing in it is 175k. Haha.

So far the cheapest I've found is another company that makes 40ft container ones, 100% ready to go shipped to your house for 66k.

I get them from work for cheap. :) Haha. Plus that is waiting like 10 months atleast l.

No basement here. Just a ranch style house with almost 2 acres. I was looking at the Ready Range for ideas. Originally thought about maybe just getting one of those. People were putting it in there garage. That was until I found out the bare base model with nothing in it is 175k. Haha.

So far the cheapest I've found is another company that makes 40ft container ones, 100% ready to go shipped to your house for 66k.

If you get them for cheap you could line them up and tack them together.

Cut the inside ends so it's a straight shot and set a good backstop (railroad ties and sand).

Install a couple large blower fans above the backstop and your good to go after adding lighting and target hangers:D.

You could line the inside with foam to reduce noise or set them in the ground.

If you get them for cheap you could line them up and tack them together.

Cut the inside ends so it's a straight shot and set a good backstop (railroad ties and sand).

Install a couple large blower fans above the backstop and your good to go after adding lighting and target hangers:D.

You could line the inside with foam to reduce noise or set them in the ground.

Yea I've been looking at ways on building them. Doesnt seem too complicated. I was looking more for the legal side of it. I know when you get into rifle calibers it changes things. But couldn't find anything as far as pistol caliber. I dont want a super long one. Just a 30ft lane with some area in the back for seating or whatever if more people want to join. Not a high dollar nice range. But able to host milo simulator and paper targets and call it good. Want it to be completely enclosed as well. I have seen people talk about just cutting one end off.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top