JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Public Safety Training Center

Very nice place. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. If you go on thursday and bring a box of cereal the lane fee is only $5.00 otherwise I think it's $15.00. You have to buy there ammo, last time I was there 9mm was .32 cents a piece. They also have a wide range of guns for rent if you want to try out something new.

The Place To Shoot, over by Delta Park. Have no experience with that one, but went to to the Tigard one a couple times before it got closed down. I think you have to buy their ammo there too.

Annual membership
lane fee
buy their ammo & targets

I don't fault them for making a living/profit (I'll bet the insruance is through the roof) but when push comes to shove that's a lot to shell out to shoot local.

I have a life membership and it sill runs me $30-$40 to shoot 50 rounds of .45. I 'had' to buy a .22 so I could bring the cost per shot down to something managable.

I belong to The Place to Shoot and Tri County Gun Club.

It seems popular to bash The Place to Shoot for being expensive. Yes, it does cost me quite a lot more than going to TCGC. However, convince is worth something. Being inside when it is raining, is worth something. Driving to The Place to Shoot on my way home from work, and not having to change from my office clothes, is worth something. Only having to pack my gun, glasses, and hearing protection is worth something. In my instance, only driving 10 minutes from my house instead of 45 minutes each way, is worth something.

TCGC is an awesome place, but it is much more of outing for the day, at least for me. TPTS offers a decent place to practice, and work off some nervous energy. Yes, they are a for profit business, but Julie does make significant donations to worthy organizations.

So for me, TPTS is a valuable place to do business with. People just need to understand they are paying for more than a few minutes out in some rock quarry 30 miles out of town.

Gregg

+1 for PSTC. You can shoot, take classes, and get your concealed permit all at the same place. I like getting training from law enforcement professionals, but that's just my $00.02.

I used to have a membership at TPTS, but don't make it over that way enough to justify the membership. It's also in a great location if you're eager to try out handgun purchases from the gunshow. :D

There's also our sponsor, Threat Dynamics.

How about the public safety training center in Clackamas ? Ive seen it ferrying the wife to the mall but I've never been in. Any goofy rules about more than one round in a a magazine or anything like that?

Last I heard (as of a few weeks ago) Portland Rifle & Pistol Club was at max membership (200) and people were being put on a waiting list. It's mostly a .22 range but there are two pistol traps. Also, if you do your own handloads, using lead bullets, with mild loads (less than 900 fps), you can use your non-22 handgun on the .22 lanes.

I really like the Clackamas range but the ammo costs are too much for going there regularly. 9mm and 38 special were around $15-17/box as of a few weeks ago.

My solution for now: I got a .22 and I use the indoor range at Tri County. That's for evenings. Last time I had the range to myself for the bulk of the time I was there. I don't mind the rain for shooting on Tri-County outdoor pistol range on weekends.

Great input, thanks for all the info. I agree, having a place to go to that is relatively close and indoors when the weather turns is worth a little bit. Have to start checking them all out and figure which one works best.

PSTC in Clackamas. Been a member there since '08. If you want to go more than once a month, it only makes sense to be a member. And after the first year the membership fee is pretty reasonable. IIRC 9mm=$16, .40=$17, .45acp=$18. The staff is friendly, but not so friendly that they don't come into the range correct unsafe behavior. No weird rules that I know of. No centerfire rifles allowed. Carbines are ok as long as it's in a caliber that they sell.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top