JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im sure this has been asked before but here goes....
Im checking out all the ranges in the Portland and Vancouver areas and was hoping some of you could steer me in the direction of the ones where you can bring your own ammo with you. Ive found the Clackamas County Sherriffs range is the only one so far that I know of and would like to have more places to go shooting and bring my own ammo with me to save a few nickels and dimes.
If there is a sticky somewhere on this site someone can post the link to that has ALL of the indoor and outdoor ranges even if you have to buy their ammo there that would be greatly appreciated. Im a newbie and am enjoying checking out new spots to shoot and have only found a few so far.
Thankyou!

Edited to add- I just realized this is for outdoor shooting ranges thread so sorry about posting this here and if it could be moved to the right place that would be great! Thankyou.

AFAIK, u cannot bring in reloads to Place to Shoot,but prolly ok with bringing in factory ammo.
not sure what ammo OP was meaning.
VRP,..vancouver rifle and pistol club. memebers only,lead bullets only,1000 fps max,own ammo required.it's a small,non-monitored range,usually available during the day during the week,and 'usually' on weekends.
Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club

wolverton mt gun club,near Cougar,wa. a bit of a hike,members only,open 1 day a month to the public. non-monitored,just go shoot and enjoy the great outdoors.any kind of ammo...lead,jacketed,washed,etc.
3 covered ranges,wood stove. can be snowed in in inclement weather.
it's my home club,and a GREAT place to shoot,almost no one goes there. :( :)

<broken link removed>

both ranges are accepting new members.vrpc is cheaper and closer,wolverton's fees can be made in payments...did I mention it's a GREAT place to shoot? :)

Outdoor range but you can bring your own ammo including reloads - Clark County Gun Club @ English Pit in Vancouver. $16.50 per day for adults and you can come and go as you please throughout the day for the one fee.

I checked out the English Pit yesterday and heard there is an outdoor range out in BrushPrairie that is really nice which I might go check out this Sunday as thats the only day they allow non members and is open to the public.
There is a range out in I think Sherwood or Tualatin and its an indoor and outdoor range. Does anyone know the name of it?

I checked out the English Pit yesterday and heard there is an outdoor range out in BrushPrairie that is really nice which I might go check out this Sunday as thats the only day they allow non members and is open to the public.
There is a range out in I think Sherwood or Tualatin and its an indoor and outdoor range. Does anyone know the name of it?
Tri-County Gun Club Welcome to Tri-County Gun Club
There's also Douglas Ridge Rifle Club out towards Estacada Douglas Ridge Rifle Club

They both provide quite a bit.

+1 on Clark County Gun Club, went there for the first time last friday. Range officers are friendly and relaxed and they supply staplers. (the local club I used to go to in CA made you rent stapleguns and buy staples or buy tacks. jerks.).

9mill,,the club that is only open to members on Sunday is Clark Rifles. a VERY nice club up in the hills.Great RO's,very helpful and not badge-heavy in the least.IT's a VERY busy club too,so bring several guns so as to be flexible on available ranges.As I recall they have 4 ranges,the longest is 300 yards.all have cover,etc.

AFAIK, u cannot bring in reloads to Place to Shoot,but prolly ok with bringing in factory ammo.

Actually no. You must buy ammo there and only use the ammo you buy. That part is really a drag. Not that their ammo pricing is very high, just the time waste and inconvenience of loading mags before shooting.

I asked if it was ok if a had 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mags loaded up in mags when I arrived and then bought three 100-round CCIs from them - to take them home, or rotate with each visit and was told NO.

Their policy is that you bring in a gun(s), .22 rifles with NO AMMO and use only the ammo you buy the day you are there. They also don't have certain ammo like 5.7x28, so if you have an 'odd' pistol you are probably going to have to shoot it somewhere else.

I am a member of Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. It is about a 45 minute drive from Vancouver. I think it is very much worth the drive. The facilities are first rate and the other members always impress me. I'm happy to answer any questions I can about DRRC.

I have shot many times at English Pit. The only real downside is the cost is very high compared to annual fees at a club. I suspect I would pay for an annual membership if he offered it. I have talked to him about it and it doesn't look like that will happen.

9mill,,the club that is only open to members on Sunday is Clark Rifles. a VERY nice club up in the hills.Great RO's,very helpful and not badge-heavy in the least.IT's a VERY busy club too,so bring several guns so as to be flexible on available ranges.As I recall they have 4 ranges,the longest is 300 yards.all have cover,etc.
The membership is a two yr waiting list. It must be really a nice place to shoot there. Me and my uncle will be going shooting this Sunday and its a toss up to go to this one or the Douglas Ridge Club. It looks really nice from their website and I like the fact its a drive out to get to it. I live not too far from the Clark Range so maybe Sundays Ill go there and check out the Ridge another day. So many choices,, not enough time!
I thought I had gone there to shoot but got this spot mixed up with the English Pit the other day. I liked the pit. The lady who worked there was really helpful and very nice and the folks who were shooting that day seemed to be very saftey concious which was good too.

I am a member of Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. It is about a 45 minute drive from Vancouver. I think it is very much worth the drive. The facilities are first rate and the other members always impress me. I'm happy to answer any questions I can about DRRC.

I have shot many times at English Pit. The only real downside is the cost is very high compared to annual fees at a club. I suspect I would pay for an annual membership if he offered it. I have talked to him about it and it doesn't look like that will happen.

This has definately piqued my interest along with the Clark Range. I dont mind the drive. I commute from Vancouver to Portland daily. I mean I hate commuting for work but wouldnt mind driving to go shoot. lol....
Can you bring you own basic ammo? Id like to use mine and save a few nickles and dimes this weekend rather than buying theirs. Im undecisive which range this Sunday Ill be going too so am going to check this one out online later today.
So many ranges, so little time! lol...

Thanks Guys for all the good info. Its greatly appreciated!

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club

Yes, you can shoot your own ammo. The range is not staffed day-to-day. So, you have to come with everything you need. The website gives a pretty good idea of the facilities. I have shot at every club I have been able to get to and DRRC is my first choice. That is why I am a member. I shoot there often. Let me know if you have any more questions. They are doing a new member orientation this Saturday, March 17th at 8am. If you want to join, you can take your application in to the orientation and walk out a member with an access badge and you are good to go.

I can't speak highly enough of the club, its members or the facilities. It is a truly great place to shoot.

My opinion probably won't be very popular, but here goes:

Clark Rifles: Lovely facility, 300y range, favorable experiences aside from the crowd on nonmember days. However, they will never see another dime from me. Around six months ago or so their news letter contained a "clarification" on their rules, reminding readers that open carry is not allowed by anyone other than uniformed law enforcement officers. I respect their right to make whatever policies they choose, but they went on to say something close to "the gun range is not the wild west." This is an attitude I frankly find ignorant and offensive as a gun owner and a CHP holder, and I personally won't support a business or club that uses the same lines as gun control activists to reinforce its policies. If that doesn't bother you, then Clark Rifles is a great club with great facilities. The only other beef I have is they have the usual "one shot per second" rule that makes their range of little value if you want to practice competitive or defensive drills. They are not the only range in the area with this rule, which leads me to...

English Pit: as with Clark Rifles, they have a slowfire rule, which is my biggest complaint. A few minor complaints include their rimfire rifle range, where the only distance available is 50 yards and they give you a hard time if you want to use a stand to shoot at 25. Not a big deal but made sighting in my 452 more difficult than necessary. I was also given an absolute "no" when I asked if I could shoot just a few shots on the short range centerfire range at 25 to get on the paper. The other minor gripe is that the berms separating the handgun range from the rimfire rifle range, and the short centerfire range from the long centerfire range do not extend all the way back, so if there are shooters on one side and you're alone on the other, you still have to wait for everyone on the other side.

Those are all relatively minor complaints for me, though, and I enjoy English Pit thoroughly for trips to the range for sighting in and function checking a new or upgraded gun. For shooting of a more defensive or competition nature, outside of actual competitions held at either club, I have found that a trip to the mountains is the only way to really go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top