JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for recommendations and where to get them (in the SW PDX area would be awesome)

I tired a few searches here and my googlefoo is apparnetly lame when I'm tired.

Thanks in advance,

-d

I bought one at Home depot 23k btu I believe and works awesome 129.00 bucks I believe, i just use mine in my garage since it has more than enough ventilation, in the house it would freak me out.

I bought one at Home depot 23k btu I believe and works awesome 129.00 bucks I believe, i just use mine in my garage since it has more than enough ventilation, in the house it would freak me out.

What the heck... I must have totally passed them over. I'll double check, thank you!

-d

Decker,

I think toddt36 is referring to a forced air model that plugs in to AC and has a fan.
Are you looking for a wick type convection heater like this? --> LINK

One more thing get the super clean kerosene (not cheap) I think its like 8 bucks a gallon, and lasts for quite a while really, on Low setting which is still quite a bit of heat, and pick up some C batteries (for the wick starter) cuz they come with cheap chinese ones.

A few more things!

First, Kerosene has a half short life where it starts burning black. So don't savor and husband it. Use it and abuse it so you run out and get fresh for the next winter. New/fresh kerosene burns clean but the old stuff will smoke yer house up.

Next, best book on Kerosene is called: "Titan" by Ron Chernow. I've never appreciated Biography's, but Chernow won the Pulitzer for this and there is a reason. Very extensive and interesting. Good stuff. In fact, on that theme, so that you can understand our current energy culture, get the book called "The Prize". Both together will give you a feel for the world as it is.

Lastly, ANYTIME you burn ANYTHING, no matter if it's coal, or Kerosene, or whatever, Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct. Having almost passed away in Nepal due to a coal burner I can say, it will kill you. Really and no joke. Pay attention. For our ancestors, they could give a rats *** because they needed the warmed and because they didn't have air tight homes....now we all have better materials so that we don't have leaky clapboards and windows. I grew up with coal. It sucked. Walking the tracks with my brothers to pick up the precious stuff is a good memory. Yet we'd rotated the chore of getting up at 5:30 to go fire up the coal furnace so that the home was warm for everyone and it sucked! Those furnaces had exterior exhausts and heat exchangers just like a modern gas furnuce, so the fumes went outside. It sucked so bad to get up and in the freezing cold of a Rocky Mountain winter and in pitch blackness go light the fire. You'd stand there in your bare feet just shivering, cold ****ed freezing, till the newspapers would catch, and you'd stick your hands inside of the furnace to warm them as the flames would flicker and grow. Gradually, the newsprint caught and the coal (if you had it positioned correctly, much like wood -small chunks first, then larger, with spaces for the fire to flare up, just like wood) and you'd start lifting your feet up to warm them. Slam the furnace door shut and run back to bed. This was a no brainier that you'd get warm as there were my 2 brothers sharing the single bed, so you'd weasel in there like a puppy into a full litter of pups. They briefly stir but stay asleep. There, where you felt most at home, covered and warm bodies would instantaneously start to heat you back up....ahhhhh. Wait?! cough* cough*...anyway. .....No one sees that kind of cold around here. Thank the good lord!

When my wife and I first moved in here for instance, (100 year old home) the wind hitting the outside of the home would blow so that the drapes on the inside would move around in the winter. That is with the windows closed fully shut!! Now we've replaced and caulked them with new triple pane and its a radically different (and warmer/better) gig! But this is Oregon and it never gets too cold. Maybe 5 -10 degrees below freezing is all unless you choose to stick it out all winter in the Strawberry's, the Elkhorn's or the Wallowas. Still, exhausting of the fumes is critical even in the warm valleys. So take care. If you get a headache, do not dismiss this. Research carbon monoxide poisoning and pay the F**@! attention to your inner worrywart:) If you get a headache, put on a coat and walk outside until your head clears. Don't just go to bed. When you come back inside, ask around if anyone else has a headache. Do not just ignore it and go to sleep. This is important! Pay attention your body and mental inclinations!!!

I literally did this once, and when I got inside there were 12-15 people ALL with headaches who were ready to go off to sleep. Death was awaiting them. Death. ... no more and no less. It was carbon monoxide poisoning. These were people who should have known or known better. One was a highly educated American who was the director of Poison control for the State. But she wasn't clued in until I came in, realized it and mentioned it to the group. I might have suffered in silence myself except for a conversation with another headache sufferer outside that clued me in. This was a large group and we were all poisoned! No one caught it except by chance. The worst case was close to catatonic ad had a pale looking blue/waxy looking face. She had been shivering cold, and passed through that to a state of calm and just layed down. We opened all the windows and had some supplement O2 that folks hooked her up with.

When my wife and I first started living together - she lived off of a Kerosene heater all winter in her ancient apartment. Her fuel costs averaged $5 a month at a time when everyone else's was over $100. But the price you pay is you cannot put it on auto pilot! It vented the fumes into the apt, and it was't an issue, but she never left it on all night. In Nepal, the fuel would have burned down and out had someone not kept loading it on, so most of us probably would have recovered once we were all unconscious and unable to put coal onto the brazier. In the US, a heater can contain a lot of fuel and burn a long time, if it vents into your room do NOT leave it on all night. Probably just better to turn it off at night and get a down comforter and a girlfriend or 2 to huddle with.

Sorry if I am preaching unnecessarily...its the father in me coming out I suppose.

Take care and pay attention!

So, would you recommend a carbon monoxide detector along with the windows being left open a crack? I grew up with a indoor kero heater for a while but the house was anything but sealed tight so we never had to worry about the build up...

So, would you recommend a carbon monoxide detector along with the windows being left open a crack? I grew up with a indoor kero heater for a while but the house was anything but sealed tight so we never had to worry about the build up...

You SHOULD have worried about a buildup! Carbon monoxide is heavier than air, and after rising with the heat it cools and then POOLS from the floor level on up. The pets on the floor die first. Imagine it as an invisible liquid just lying there in wait, with the level rising as long as the indoor fire burns...........................elsullo (ex-volunteer firefighter who has seen some scary scenes.)

You SHOULD have worried about a buildup! Carbon monoxide is heavier than air, and after rising with the heat it cools and then POOLS from the floor level on up. The pets on the floor die first. Imagine it as an invisible liquid just lying there in wait, with the level rising as long as the indoor fire burns...........................elsullo (ex-volunteer firefighter who has seen some scary scenes.)

There are instructions included inside the unit, abide by those and you will be good, and since you have an open flame inside your home, and carbon monoxide is heavier than air you should buy a detector and install it on a wall outlet 18" off the ground. Don't quite me on this but I thought inside a house you need a draft and a draw for example a window cracked 4" upstairs and a window downstairs open 4". So now your heating the outside too! BRILLIANT! haha!

DO NOT DO IT. I use a Mr. Heater 30.00 btu indoor heater. I leave a 1/2 opening in the front and back windows. plenty of heat for up to 900 sq ft. they do mak a 60k btu size. but I would still put in a low level Used a 9 gallon jug from a lot of hours of run time. Being warm is nice
i don't worry about the dogs. A Pyrn, a maremma, and the hound curls up with one of them they are warm in any weather.

Last Edited:
DO NOT DO IT. I use a Mr. Heater 30.00 btu indoor heater. I leave a 1/2 opening in the front and back windows. plenty of heat for up to 900 sq ft. they do mak a 60k btu size. but I would still put in a low level Used a 9 gallon jug from a lot of hours of run time. Being warm is nice
i don't worry about the dogs. A Pyrn, a maremma, and the hound curls up with one of them they are warm in any weather.

So... are you saying 'don't use kerosene' and recommending the propane style instead? I've see the Mr. Heater brand at Bi-mart and thought about getting one of those but wanted to investigate the Kerosene route before I did...

-d

yeap. let fic 2 typos 1/2 should be 1/2 inch and low level should be co2 detector set at about 3-4 off the floor so is something goes goofy you ought to have good warning. the heat is also cleaner. Coal oil heaters are best outdoors.

One more thing get the super clean kerosene (not cheap) I think its like 8 bucks a gallon, and lasts for quite a while really, on Low setting which is still quite a bit of heat, and pick up some C batteries (for the wick starter) cuz they come with cheap chinese ones.

As of today 2/2/11, McClendon's has 2.5 gallon 1k Kerosene on sale for $17.99 (from 22.99) The sale sign said it goes through 3/31. They have production dates on the containers...there were Nov/2010 and Sept/2009. Get the freshest...:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top