JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fascinating. We have no such protection here in OR, where state law explicitly says it's illegal to resist an on-duty cop, even if you reasonably believe that he's breaking the law.

I'm afraid that cops might use such a law to justify using greater force during arrests. I can't believe that the courts would ever side with the citizen over the cop anyway.

this whole, 'its ok to resist cops idea' is just wrong... if you feel the officer is doing the wrong thing film it... and show the court. officers are just doing a job, and most of them do the right thing, as they were trained. this law will only make it harder to be an officer.

this whole, 'its ok to resist cops idea' is just wrong... if you feel the officer is doing the wrong thing film it... and show the court. officers are just doing a job, and most of them do the right thing, as they were trained. this law will only make it harder to be an officer.

You get pulled over for speeding at the cop decides he needs to frisk (starts groping) your daughter. So you just whip out the phone and start recording? Cops should be held to the law just like everyone else (I would argue they should be held to a higher standard since they have state sanctioned authority to use deadly force) and if they are committing a crime or doing something wrong you should be able to defend your family or yourself. The bill doesn't apply if you are doing something illegal and the cops actions were appropriate. To cops that would say this bill would harm they, I've got to ask the question "What do YOU have to hide?" If they are in the right then they tack on assaulting a police officer to list of charges.

officers are just doing a job, and most of them do the right thing, as they were trained.

this is where i disagree. Yes there are some good ones but there are just as many if not more bad apples. I would even go so far as to say most cops brake more laws then the reguler joe. They just can because they are cops.

Yes a jury always sides with the cop. even if he lies and perjures himself. They trust cops and the cops know they can lie and get away with it.

Can you tell i think most cops are power hungry thugs that act above the law?

wow, plenty of people here that dont like/trust the police. Im not saying all officers are doing the right thing all the time, just that more have the right intentions then wrong or power hungry intentions. I happen to know quite a few officers and find them to be decent people.

Most people are good folks until you pin a badge to their chest. I don't know what kind of brainwashing is done at these academies, but something ain't right. So far, the ones I've met are no better than street thugs. I HOPE a good one talks to me and changes my mind someday. Until then my opinion stands.

wow, plenty of people here that dont like/trust the police. Im not saying all officers are doing the right thing all the time, just that more have the right intentions then wrong or power hungry intentions. I happen to know quite a few officers and find them to be decent people.

Most of us that don't like/trust the police have good reason to, generally from bad altercations with them.

I don't thing they get "brainwashed" at academies anymore than people are "brainwashed" at bootcamp or college. I think it stems from the majority of Americans don't really care about the law until someone breaks it against them. I think most cops just get tired of seeing people act like jackasses on a regular basis without a care in the world. They just get jaded to people because it's always a sob story when they bust someone and then they go right back to doing what they were doing wrong in the first place.

My father told me, when I first started driving, that if you ever have to deal with the police, just remember, in the moment- they are always right. No matter how wrong you feel they are, in the moment- they are 100% right, and if you resist they will bring in a bunch of their friends, who may also be wrong- but it won't matter in the moment because then you have a bunch of police who unequivocally believe they are 100% right and the situation for yourself is much, much worse. The moral is don't bubblegum around with the police, because it could get way out of hand really quickly- just be polite and respectful, and sort it out later- because you will never convince a cop or his cop buddies you are right and he/she is wrong in the moment- but you may convince them you deserve a beat down or worse...

I think most cops just get tired of seeing people act like jackasses on a regular basis without a care in the world.

I think most people just get tired of seeing cops act like jackasses on a regular basis without a care in the world.

I think it stems from the majority of Americans don't really care about the law until someone breaks it against them.
When the law purges itself of codes regarding victimless crimes (i.e. all drug laws, gun control laws, most road laws, the list goes on), then you can talk about people breaking laws against other people instead of BS unlike "United States vs. John Doe's forfeited $10000".

No way is it wrong. Sometimes its to late & you must act in order to survive. It's complete insanity to expect perfection & absolute righteousness by every human in any perticular career field.

Its amusing that a legislature has to pass a law not only protecting citizens from but allowing force to be used against the orgaization that it created to enforce the laws its passes.

It tells me the legislature has lost control.

Fascinating. We have no such protection here in OR, where state law explicitly says it's illegal to resist an on-duty cop, even if you reasonably believe that he's breaking the law.

I'm afraid that cops might use such a law to justify using greater force during arrests. I can't believe that the courts would ever side with the citizen over the cop anyway.

SCOTUS has ruled several times that you have the right resist a illegal arrest up to and including death of the officer.

I think you will still have one hell of a fight in court.

Its amusing that a legislature has to pass a law not only protecting citizens from but allowing force to be used against the orgaization that it created to enforce the laws its passes.

It tells me the legislature has lost control.

If there is any truth to that movie J Edgar hoover, then it shows that the FBI has more power than the President. If thats true then it makes you wonder what state &/or local detectives use to hold over state represenatives heads, in order to get what they want pushed. As well as towards judges, jury's, prosecutors & defense lawyers. Officially the fox gets to watch over the hen house.

However that must mean there is one really good detective in Indiana making the house pass a really good law. lol (no i dont think this is what happens) But if it did it would mean there is one really good law officer out there that cares for freedom more than his job definition that says to limit freedom! :D

I think most people just get tired of seeing cops act like jackasses on a regular basis without a care in the world.

When the law purges itself of codes regarding victimless crimes (i.e. all drug laws, gun control laws, most road laws, the list goes on), then you can talk about people breaking laws against other people instead of BS unlike "United States vs. John Doe's forfeited $10000".

Drug Laws are victim-less huh? Like when a parent sells their baby for crack? Woman arrested for allegedly trying to sell baby for drugs
That's part of being an adult, learning to not blame everyone else for things. It's always the "cops" and the "government" to blame.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top