JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMAG0626.jpg IMAG0627.jpg

Too cool guys. I am in Detroit area, and will have to take a drive by the address on the paperwork to see if the building still stands. If so, I will post some photos. Really like mine, but have been 'gun shy' to shoot it much after ZA's failure. Wondering if a Walther steel safety would fit as some insurance.

Too cool guys. I am in Detroit area, and will have to take a drive by the address on the paperwork to see if the building still stands. If so, I will post some photos. Really like mine, but have been 'gun shy' to shoot it much after ZA's failure. Wondering if a Walther steel safety would fit as some insurance.
Brother, if you could swing by the old building that would be so freaking cool. This thread has really came to life with the contributions made by Lode13.

Ok guys. Made a little road trip into Detroit today searching for the old Indian Arms factory. Success!! The building is still there. It is in a very rough neighborhood, but I took a few photos. Building is now vacant, looks like an engine rebuild shop was the last tenant. I will try to upload some photos, and share a couple of details I got from the business owner from across the street. He has been there for over 40 years and remembers the Factory when it was making P380s. Amazing!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok sorry this took so long, but here is the original home for all your Indian Arms pistols. An old timer across the street said he remembers when they were manufacturing our pistols there. The main business was called Victoria Tool and Die. They serviced the many small machine shops here in Detroit. He confirmed that they also made pistols there in the 70's. They were robbed a few times and closed up shop and moved. Latest tenant was an engine crankshaft refinisher. Building looks vacant now, but is locked up, some lights were on inside. Last photo is through a window inside. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I too have an Indian Arms with a broken safety. Got it for a good price figuring I could find the piece I needed eventually. Nope. Two years later still looking.

So let me ask the guru's out there. Can it be shot safely without the lever?

I love the feel of this little gun, even better than my actual Walther (which I love to death already). I really want to shoot it.

I too have an Indian Arms with a broken safety. Got it for a good price figuring I could find the piece I needed eventually. Nope. Two years later still looking.

So let me ask the guru's out there. Can it be shot safely without the lever?

I love the feel of this little gun, even better than my actual Walther (which I love to death already). I really want to shoot it.

I have a new factory safety lever if you are interested in. Had a bunch of parts when I had these.

I never tried to fire one without safety lever drum, remember just as your Walther, your extractor has a extractor plunger a spring with a safety plunger resting on notch of safety drum thereby putting pressure on your extractor to extract shells,if you do try and fire make sure your extractor,extractor plunger, spring and safety plunger are removed or they may go flying since there is no pressure on them from safety drum, and then you will have another problem finding those parts. I do not know if the blowback action alone (as Beretta 21) will extract without extractor.

Also remember the safety on these are unlike a Walther as they do not drop a cocked hammer, the safety blocks the hammer from striking the firing pin, but to drop the hammer you have to pull the trigger with the safety on. Make sure you thumb ride the hammer down as not to put and more stress on safety drum.

Last Edited:
Hello, I am a new guy in Liverpool. I also worked on some of the Indian Arms pistols. The '1000' made is about right. The numbers used were NOT consecutive. This was used to plan for future 'special' numbers and to give the impression of more than 'just a few' being made. The very first 2 guns had the serial numbers 'Stanley 1' and 'Stanley 2'. They were made for the company owner Stanley Pilarski. Also, the guns were made from 440 stainless steel. The first few were made from 410 stainless but when they realised that '410' was non-magnetic, it was a 'son-of-a-gun' to grind them on a magnetic chuck. All the castings were made from precision ceramic molds by Gray Syracuse in up-state New York. The publication that will explain the weapon (including test firings) can be found in 'Guns & Ammo' magazine from July 1976. It was the bicentennial edition with George Washington's pistols on the cover.
If anyone would like to hear about why they closed can ask me and I can tell you what the 'boss' told me.

Cheers from Liverpool, Bob
Hello Robert,

I worked in Hamtramck from 1972 thru 1986 where the pistols were manufactured I believe. I have (2) Indian Arms 380's and would like to get additional information on these pistols and their manufacture.

Thank you

Guys, I just purchased an Indian Arms this week on GBroker. sounds like the safety and other parts can be fragile. I might be interested in some spares if you you still have parts. I have been looking for one to bring back home to Detroit for sometime. Also looking for the limited info on the net. Might try to find the old factory if I can track down an address.
The factory was in Hamtramck, MI

I have a new factory safety lever if you are interested in. Had a bunch of parts when I had these.

I never tried to fire one without safety lever drum, remember just as your Walther, your extractor has a extractor plunger a spring with a safety plunger resting on notch of safety drum thereby putting pressure on your extractor to extract shells,if you do try and fire make sure your extractor,extractor plunger, spring and safety plunger are removed or they may go flying since there is no pressure on them from safety drum, and then you will have another problem finding those parts. I do not know if the blowback action alone (as Beretta 21) will extract without extractor.

Also remember the safety on these are unlike a Walther as they do not drop a cocked hammer, the safety blocks the hammer from striking the firing pin, but to drop the hammer you have to pull the trigger with the safety on. Make sure you thumb ride the hammer down as not to put and more stress on safety drum.

==================
Hello Kat1950, I would be interested in purchasing your Indian Arms 380 parts.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top