Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Increase in detected viruses on this site ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ob1, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

Not an expert on the topic, but has anyone else noticed an increase in detected virus warnings recently while surfing the forums here ?

I have noticed a marked increase in detected viruses while reading threads in the forums here. I used to see my anti-virus software alert maybe a couple times a year, but within the last four or five days, I've been getting multiple warnings each night. To add to this, it seems to be only happening here, not on other sites.

Trying to not let my imagination run wild but, could some anti-gun hacker types have found a new target ?

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

No warnings here I just get 2 tracking cookies each time thats all.

3. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

nothing strange here.

4. ShootFirst

ShootFirst Southern Oregon Active Member

Try a different browser and see if it triggers it. It may be a false positive on update or lack there of.
    Possible a flash update or something along that line.

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

nope nothing

6. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

Did ya catch one of those malware 'The sky is falling, Let us help you!!!!' Bugs? Is the warning from your actual installed antivirus program?

I'd download and run CCleaner and Malwarebytes.

7. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Which AV program do you have? I haven't been getting anything.

8. euge

euge Snohomish Member

I am using avast, and yes it detected mailious software

9. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

Yep....I am too, the upgrade. And that is where I am getting the warnings from.

I keep everything on auto update, A/V, IE, adobe etc.. I'll try switching to firefox to see if there is a difference...but would that mean that there is a glitch in explorer or the A/V software or is there malware only being picked up with the original combination ?

10. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

I had my norton block an attack through the site earlier....maybe through one of the ads or something.

Category: Intrusion Prevention

12/21/2012 10:57:07 AM,High,An intrusion attempt by 195.3.145.51 was blocked.,Blocked,No Action Required,Web Attack: Malicious Exploit kit Website,No Action Required,No Action Required,"195.3.145.51, 80",ghzbandwalked.info/qy1e2zw/?2,*********(my info)*****
    Network traffic from <b>ghzbandwalked.info/qy1e2zw/?2</b> matches the signature of a known attack. The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME1\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE. To stop being notified for this type of traffic, in the <b>Actions</b> panel, click <b>Stop Notifying Me</b>.

11. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I use Firefox and Norton, I don't get any warnings here but I do over at peopleofwalmart.

12. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

"peopleofwalmart"? WTF

13. jimboshooter

jimboshooter West Portland, Oregon Active Member

I occassionally get a notification of an attack from this site on my computer too.

14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I run AVG"s full software suite on all six computers in my house, plus on my android smart phone as well... never any attack notifications from here, ever.

15. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

16. Ramjet12

Ramjet12 PNW Member

I'm running probably the most secure network almost anywhere and I've never seen any warnings about malicious code from this site. They do use cookies but that's not malicious.

Don't forget the cars of WalMart too! The Cars Of Walmart, Volume II

17. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

If you are using anything other than Microsoft Security Essentials on a Windows OS, you are doing it wrong.

18. Ramjet12

Ramjet12 PNW Member

19. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

With regard to this website, the problem may be when someone posts a link in a Forum posting, and that link takes you to somewhere risky/naughty.

Peter

20. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

If you are running anything other than Mac OS X you're doing it wrong. I run no, as in "none", "zero", "nada" AV software on any of my Apple products, which at this point is 6 actual computers on my home network. I've never had an issue....ever. I do use the Safari browser extensions named ClickToFlash (stops Flash from running unless approved), Ghostery (blocks cookies as specified), and AdBlock, (blocks all advertising on web pages). I do NOT allow anything by Google on my systems. I don't search using Google either, and I block all Google cookies. Here's why I don't like Google:

"Don't Be Evil?" video - beta version - YouTube