JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought a new pistol this week. For the first time since the laws have changed, plus the fact I moved a year and a half ago so my physical drivers license did not have the correct address on it, but has been updated online.

I have a CWP that has my correct address on it and the shop would not accept it. Said it needed to be a government document. I said isnt this government issued and he just shrugged it off and said he wasn't going to accept it. He said I could log onto the DOL website and he would take a screen shot showing my corrected address on my license record. I asked what about my car registration and he said he would accept that along with a copy of my CWP. What makes a car registration any move valid than a CWP card?

More curious than anything else.

Well, a registration is a state-issued document, while a CWP is a local LEO-issued document??? Just guessing here. IDK why the guy wouldn't accept it... o_O

Unrekated I know but....
I flew to Arizona to buy an automobile some time back. Dealer wouldn't accept my Oregon Drivers as valid but accepted my CCP just fine..
Cheapo sticker Oregon hands out for updates was too worn to read, and besides, Anyone can get an ODL. ..

The address doesn't need to match on both as long as both are valid/not expired. I wasted my money updating all my stuff to match and then the sherrifs department said it didn't actually matter, after I already paid. Sounds like your gun shop guy was a tard

Some people just don't know what they are doing. I do think the ID needs to be a photo ID, but they should accept your car registration as having the correct address (has to match what you put on the 4473). I used to have only my mailing address on my driver's license a long time ago, but the gov stopped allowing that - they want to know where to find you and your guns come confiscation day.

Wife and I have both bought since we last moved and the shop had no problem since we had gone online and changed our address with the DOL. Both buys were hand guns and dealer said when State ran us if they did not see the same address on our license as we were using to do the BGC that the State would send it back. This could possibly be why the one took the entire 10 Buis. days and shop finally just let us walk with the gun. Don't know. Last time it went through on the 10th day after they had already told us to come get the gun. I have to guess the FFL is just overly careful. If it was me I would just do as he asked. What would be the point in making a big deal out of it with the guy?

Interesting topic for sure. I was talking with a DMV employee over the phone the other day about an unrelated matter, but asked him about the address change situation after they changed the rule; he mentioned that the only issues he has heard of is this exact thing. And in order to have a current address on your license, you have to pay for a new license. It sucks.

Interesting topic for sure. I was talking with a DMV employee over the phone the other day about an unrelated matter, but asked him about the address change situation after they changed the rule; he mentioned that the only issues he has heard of is this exact thing. And in order to have a current address on your license, you have to pay for a new license. It sucks.
Every state is of course different but, Does OR allow you to print out a temporary when you go online to change? Assuming you can change online? When Wife and I changed our address online here, WA, I can't remember if they offered something like this. I did notice when I renewed they had a way to print out a temporary like they used to hand you at the office if mine expired before the new one comes in the mail. Both of us just changed it online and forget as I can't remember, other than buying a gun, the last time it mattered. Last time I bought some sinus meds that are OTC they had to scan my license but did not bother to ask if address was correct. Since the damn thing was the better part of a $100 bill to get a new one I sure would not want to have to before it expired.

Every state is of course different but, Does OR allow you to print out a temporary when you go online to change? Assuming you can change online? When Wife and I changed our address online here, WA, I can't remember if they offered something like this. I did notice when I renewed they had a way to print out a temporary like they used to hand you at the office if mine expired before the new one comes in the mail. Both of us just changed it online and forget as I can't remember, other than buying a gun, the last time it mattered. Last time I bought some sinus meds that are OTC they had to scan my license but did not bother to ask if address was correct. Since the damn thing was the better part of a $100 bill to get a new one I sure would not want to have to before it expired.

No they don't allow a print out, I wish they did. Oregon used to mail a new address sticker you could place on your license. They stopped doing that to save money on 1/1/20. You can change your address online and it will be updated along with all registered vehicles in your name in the system. So it is good to go for any LEO contact etc. I don't remember if there was a fee for the sticker in the past, but now in order to replace your license with corrected address in Oregon it is $26. It's just a hassle because you have to do it in person, and while this coronavirus stuff is happening, Oregon DMV has basically shut down except for CDL holders by appointment only.

No they don't allow a print out, I wish they did. Oregon used to mail a new address sticker you could place on your license. They stopped doing that to save money on 1/1/20. You can change your address online and it will be updated along with all registered vehicles in your name in the system. So it is good to go for any LEO contact etc. I don't remember if there was a fee for the sticker in the past, but now in order to replace your license with corrected address in Oregon it is $26. It's just a hassle because you have to do it in person, and while this coronavirus stuff is happening, Oregon DMV has basically shut down except for CDL holders by appointment only.
WTF? If you can't do it online and they closed the offices what are people supposed to do if they lose their damn wallet or the thing expires? I sure as hell have to hope maybe this will help wake a few voters up next couple elections. :mad:

WTF? If you can't do it online and they closed the offices what are people supposed to do if they lose their damn wallet or the thing expires? I sure as hell have to hope maybe this will help wake a few voters up next couple elections. :mad:

I don't know what you would do currently if you lost your license but I do know they gave a grace period if your tags/license expired during this time.

Right now, expired licenses of any sort (drivers, CHL, etc.) and tabs, in Oregon are getting an extension.

The address on my license has worn off because of the cheap sticker/ink that Oregon used, so I just use the registration - fortunately I ordered new tabs, and printed out my insurance info before the CV issue took off so I had new tabs and a new registration/etc. in case I do get a speeding ticket (much less likely now as I don't go anywhere).

My license expires at the end of July so I will need to go in then and get a new one, one of the new federally compliant ones - the CV shutdowns should be lifted by then. I need to get my CHL too.

CPL is a valid proof of residence/address. So is vehicle registration...plenty of shops make up their own rules, because they do not understand, not take the time to learn the laws. Expired DL is NOT valid under federal law, while local LE wont cite you for driving with an expired DL, an FFL cannot accept it as valid ID.

I remember several years ago i was buying i believe a kimber 9mm. Filled out the paperwork, but had an old address on my dl, the dude said no way. So i went out to my truck and got my merchant mariner license with my current address that i put down on the ffl paperwork, so being a federal issued id he took it. Maybe 1 or 2 days later i got a phone call from a woman at the stevens county sheriffs department with a real nasty attitude telling me i better go get a new drivers license pronto if im buying guns with a stevens county address. Seems they take that stuff pretty seriously!

I remember several years ago i was buying i believe a kimber 9mm. Filled out the paperwork, but had an old address on my dl, the dude said no way. So i went out to my truck and got my merchant mariner license with my current address that i put down on the ffl paperwork, so being a federal issued id he took it. Maybe 1 or 2 days later i got a phone call from a woman at the stevens county sheriffs department with a real nasty attitude telling me i better go get a new drivers license pronto if im buying guns with a stevens county address. Seems they take that stuff pretty seriously!

They want to know who and where you are so they can come for you and/or your guns.

I used to have a private PO box address on my DL. Then the USPS and DMV/et. al. said we couldn't do that anymore. The USPS said all private mail box businesses needed to verify and provide the actual residence address of the person with the mailbox. Then, IIRC, they required that to happen yearly?

USPS then provided the address of these PO Box places, and then business addresses, differentiated from residential addresses. So now DMV and some other gov agencies, won't accept any non-residential addresses for things like your DL.

As I've said many times before, "With governments and politicians, it's all about control. People control."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top