JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to the forum, and soon, to the PNW :)

Gun laws aren't all that complicated, but our rights are under attack, following after what California is doing. Best advice is when you get here, be sure to vote in November for your local state house and senate reps based on whether they are pro or anti-gun. Otherwise, 2017 could be a very disappointing year for gun owners in Oregon.

Next thing would be to get your CHL (Concealed Handgun License) as soon as you can as it will make things much easier anytime you want to have a gun with you. It will also speed up the process at an FFL when doing your background check on a purchase or transfer.

Finally, as of last year, the law SB941 makes private sales of guns between individuals without a transfer at an FFL illegal, just FYI.

Thanks for the info.

Since my PA LTCF won't be valid, the CHL is on the to-do list. I'll be digging around for info on that & clubs/ranges/shops/etc in the area.

NE Portland

In that case, you'll definitely want your CHL. Portland (and Multnomah County in general) is the most restrictive part of the state when it comes to gun laws. They have their own little laws they've added in that a CHL pretty much trumps.

For ranges, depending on what you want to shoot, you'll need to go outside of Portland. Check out Tri County Gun Club and Douglas Ridge Rifle Club - both good places. If trap shooting is an interest, the Portland Gun Club is right inside Portland, but is limited to trap/skeet only. Johnson Creek Gun Club is inside Portland too, but is a fixed distance (50 ft) indoor range, non-magnum, pistol only (save for .22lr rifle) so options to shoot there are limited. There is also The Place to Shoot in north Portland and the Public Safety Training Center to the south of the city.

I'm a member at Douglas Ridge, and I can say it's a nice option, if you don't mind the drive.

Get your OR drivers license as soon as you can when you get here. Automatically registers you to vote, unless you opt out I believe. You can check online after you get your license to confirm your voting status-might take a bit to get u in the system.

If you have a note on your vehicle it might (or might not) be a hassle to register it here. It was a bit for me, had to go to the OR DMV have them fill out a form AND verify the VIN#. Then I mailed off that paperwork with a check for OR to my lien-holder, to have my lien holder send it all back to Oregon DMV. That process took about 7 weeks.

I don't know much yet, so don't quote me on anything, but...

Once you get your drivers license you can apply for your CHL. Depends on which county you'll be living in, as far as how to apply, cost & wait times. I'm in Marion county, never had a CHL (might make a difference-dunno)and mine is in process-45 days from my appointment. I'm pretty sure it's business days, so 9 weeks.

You might see if any courses you may have taken are cross applicable to the county you would apply to, or maybe you wouldn't need a course certificate since your already a CHL holder from out of state? Worth looking into for sure.

Also, I'm not sure which states PA has reciprocity with-there's an online map somewhere about that'll list them...anyways if PA isn't valid in area states where you may wish to travel, a lot of folks apply for a Utah out of state CHL as well. Utah covers most PNW states for OR residents, but you need to carry your OR as well.

I haven't taken a class since I took the PA hunter safety course when I was 12 years old...and let's just say that was a good number of years ago ;)

The range I currently belong to is holding a Utah CFP class session this Saturday; 4.5 hour class room session (but there's no proficiency requirement). I was on the fence about getting since it would only add WA & NV on top of the reciprocity granted to my PA LTCF (which is good for another few years, even after leaving the state). Figured I would look at a WA non-resident as an alternative if warranted.

w/r/t ranges I'm primarily looking for <=25 yard pistol and anything between 25-100 yard for rimfire. Preferably something reasonably affordable or membership based since I like to shoot often. Not sure what the public range situation is like but in my current area we've squandered many of the public ranges on bad choices and development...safety was often sketchy.

Thanks again for the responses and info.

I haven't taken a class since I took the PA hunter safety course when I was 12 years old...and let's just say that was a good number of years ago ;)

The range I currently belong to is holding a Utah CFP class session this Saturday; 4.5 hour class room session (but there's no proficiency requirement). I was on the fence about getting since it would only add WA & NV on top of the reciprocity granted to my PA LTCF (which is good for another few years, even after leaving the state). Figured I would look at a WA non-resident as an alternative if warranted.

w/r/t ranges I'm primarily looking for <=25 yard pistol and anything between 25-100 yard for rimfire. Preferably something reasonably affordable or membership based since I like to shoot often. Not sure what the public range situation is like but in my current area we've squandered many of the public ranges on bad choices and development...safety was often sketchy.

Thanks again for the responses and info.

Get the Utah one! You then don't have to eff with the coming bubblegum in WA. The gun grabbers are coming hard this coming year in both OR & WA trying to ride the fear tide and follow suit with Kalifornia's ridiculous laws.

Brutus Out

Thanks again for the info and welcome!

Welcome Aboard, glad to have you! Careful, firearms are an addiction, one well sated here! We love helping folks chose the next bestest gun, so get ready! Again, welcome to NWFA:D

I downsized a little bit to make the move easier so I'm sure there will be some acquisitions in the near future.

Welcome! I joined Johnson Creek years ago. As stated above, the you can't shoot magnum loads or rifles, it's super convenient. You get an access card that let's you enter the range any time within their operating hours, which are pretty broad. I like it mostly because you can bring your own ammo. It's definitely low hassle as far as ranges go. I live in Beaverton but drive out because it's a nice get away for a couple of hours. It's right off 82nd and Walmart is very close so you can load up on reasonably priced ammo.

Thanks again everyone for the greetings and information.

My local is doing a nice sale on Springfield 1911s....trying to resist but I might grab one last deal before skipping town. $555 for a mil-spec is pretty hard to pass up :D

Thanks again everyone for the greetings and information.

My local is doing a nice sale on Springfield 1911s....trying to resist but I might grab one last deal before skipping town. $555 for a mil-spec is pretty hard to pass up :D

I'm actually currently selling a Remington 1911 for $500, if you're wanting a 1911 for pretty cheap. It's not new, but it only has about 150 rounds through it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top