JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The venerable Colt Government Model, M1911, 1911A1, whichever you prefer, is a part of 20th century Americana. Depending on who you ask, it's either the absolute pinnacle of handgun development, or an obsolete relic from a previous century. It seems to have become a rather controversial issue.

It seems to me that there is truth in both perspectives. Is the 1911 obsolete? Of course it is! How could it not be? It was first designed 115 years ago! At that time, early "horseless carriages" roamed the streets, and the Wright brothers were tinkering with their primitive flying machines. Can you think of any other complex mechanical device from that time period, that is not completely obsolete today?

On the other hand, it's still a very viable platform. I think it's quite the tribute to the genius of the designer that the 1911 is even slightly competitive nowadays. If I was going to carry a full size pistol to absolutely rely on, I'd choose a more modern design like a CZ75 or Glock. BUT, if all I had was a 1911, I really wouldn't feel undergunned. It's more than just "dumb old boomers" feeling nostaligic. It's still a good gun. Many, if not most, modern guns borrow heavily from it.

I know it's a controversial subject to some. I don't know why. It's not the be-all-and-end-all of guns, just an important and iconic step in the evolution of handgun design.

Some musings for discussion... :)

IMG_9352[1].jpg

Obsolescent, I'd readily grant. Obsolete? Eh, not totally convinced of that. Reliable, proven automatic, with a decent trigger, 8+1 rounds of .45 ACP +P ammunition on tap, a dizzying array of aftermarket support ... hardly cutting edge, by any definition, but most certainly viable a defensive tool. (And I'm not a "boomer", but have one in the carry mix.)

Yes, I would agree. Obsolete is too strong of a word.

"adjective: obsolete

1. no longer produced or used; out of date."

So no, not really obsolete, per se, just not cutting edge, and hasn't been for a long time. There are many more modern options available that are arguably more reliable, simple, and durable. The M1911 is just a timeless piece of hardware that never really goes out of style.

I have been a huge fan boy for over 50 years. The design is old and there is much better now days. Does not stop me from carrying one today. Even though I know there is better. Last I checked almost every major manufacturer is offering at least one version of the old war horse still. That shows just how many are still fans.

i love the 1911 pistol. the genius of JMB is mind blowing to me. thinking back to the type of tooling they had back then and literally a pencil and paper. no computers, no nothing...amazing.

is the 1911 obsolete? absolutely not.

i think about it like this...to me, its like asking me if 30-06 is an obsolete caliber since now theres a million different calibers, many of which are "fad" calibers. theyre cool now but in a few years there will be a "bigger and better flavor." is 30-06 obsolete? absolutely not.

their both over 100 years old; yet, to this day theyre still worth debating about and always seem to come up in discussions.

i love the 1911 pistol. the genius of JMB is mind blowing to me. thinking back to the type of tooling they had back then and literally a pencil and paper. no computers, no nothing...amazing.

is the 1911 obsolete? absolutely not.

i think about it like this...to me, its like asking me if 30-06 is an obsolete caliber since now theres a million different calibers, many of which are "fad" calibers. theyre cool not but in a few years there will be a "bigger and better flavor." is 30-06 obsolete? absolutely not.

their both over 100 years old; yet, to this day theyre still worth debating about and always seem to come up in discussions.
I have long mused what it would be like if John was alive today. Given the stuff he was able to come up with that is still used to this day, given the crude tech they had? Just think what his mind could come up with now days :eek:

I have long mused what it would be like if John was alive today. Given the stuff he was able to come up with that is still used to this day, given the crude tech they had? Just think what his mind could come up with now days :eek:
one could wonder...

it certainly wouldnt be that abomination of a bolt action "pistol" remington came out with recently :eek:

lol those COULD be cool if a guy threw a can, brace, and scope on it chambered in somethin quiet. :)

He wouldn't get past HR.
Not to mention all the taxes, licenses and fees that would deprive him of operating capital. No, we can be glad he did his work when America was a free country.

What other pistol has over 100 different manufactures? Its iconic nature started during World War I, when the story of Sergeant York stopping six German soldiers with six shots became public. The biggest testing ground came during World War II, when the military put more than 3 million of the pistols into service. From the Pacific to the frozen fields of Europe, the 1911 saw action in every theater of combat. Some of the factors that make the 1911 a popular gun go much further than the "cool" factor. With a crisp single-action trigger and a heavier frame, the 1911 is an accurate and easy-to-shoot gun. The truth of the matter is that the 1911 is a work of art. The lines of the 1911 call to a time when function and form went together. A well-made 1911 is the product of true craftsmanship. The men and women who are true 1911 smiths are no less artists than any person with a paintbrush. Have you ever attended a pistol match? Along with being the most used pistol by the world's USPSA/IPSC shooters, the 1911 is also the predominant centerfire pistol format at the Camp Perry Bullseye pistol matches.:s0130:
1597041104450.png
1597040756929.png
Saint John's finest achievement.:D

Ditto what Ron said, above^^^^

The 1911A1s and Combat Commander(s) I carried for many years certainly are reliable and hard-hitting and pretty simple to work on should a need arise. Many after-market parts available for customisation. More 1911-types have passed thru my hands than I can remember in one sitting... I still have a real nice Combat Commander in the safe altho I rarely carry it now- usually go with either a BHP or my Glock G21 (for reasons). Somehow I don't think that the G21 will still be working 100 years from now- but all things being equal, the Combat Commander will be.

Last Edited:
Obsolete....?
Well when the 1911 series is compared to what I usually shoot , its very modern....:D

More importantly...does it work for what you need it to do...?
I find that both my muzzle loaders and the 1911 do indeed work...and get done what I need them to do.
So obsolete or not , don't matter...
Results do matter...and my two preferred choices here , get the results that I want.
Andy

The first time I fired a .45 auto many more years ago than I care to remember a friend and I were shooting at an open landfill.. (before the gummint closed it down).. we found a 50 gal drum- rolled it down a slope- we both fired on it as it bounced along- I hit it 4 or 5 times while he was getting off 2 shots with his Python... fun stuff from yester-year.. that sold me on the .45 auto right there.

Count me in the 1911 fanboy club [old man]. Shot my first 1911 - with assistance - when I was about 10 years old. 60 odd years have not diminished my respect for the venerable 1911. I continue to carry and shoot same. Yes, I do cheat on it occasionally with the wonder 9's but at the end of the day I always return to ol' slabsides. :D

Been shooting a 1911 frame for 43 years. Got my first one in 1977, dad had to buy it for me with my paper money, because i was just shy of 18 at that point. Also picked up a Colt .22 conversion kit at the same time. (Worth a pretty penny now.) Got thousands of rounds thru that. My youngest got a Glock 17. It's a nice weapon. But I just don't point it naturally even though its supposed to point more naturally. Way too much muscle memory at this point to switch over. Ill stick with it. My oldest just got a SIG. They can grow up with the wonder nines. I am to old to start over.

Hoping CMP opens another round of .45 purchases. I was living semi-nomadic the last time it started. This time, Ill probably stay put for about 4 more years.

I'm not a fan boy. Matter if fact, I've never owned one (although I want to) the one facts remains.
It's still one of the most popular pistols 100 years after it came out.
and I would be willing to bet, in another 100 years it will still be selling.

it's not a design that lasted a lifetime, it's a design that will outlive mankind.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews