JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In Oregon the weapon can not be loaded "long gun". The ammo much be stored in another area of the vehicle away from the weapon. Also no Mags in the weapon and lock the bolt back so you can see inside the weapon. If your in a car, place the weapon in the tunk and ammo in the back seat both away from you. You need to show that the weapon and the ammo are located in differ locations. If stopped by L.E. tell the Officer that you have the Weapon and its location. DO NOT go to the Mall!
Hope this will help,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area
EX-L.E.O.
that is not true please show me that law since you are former leo

Ya my dad just retired after 30 years and has never told me that. I personally have been pulled over with a loaded rifle and never been told that, it really just goes to show how little the police actually know about the laws

... it really just goes to show how little the police actually know about the laws

That is really a good reason to avoid a gray area. I would rather not take the chance of having to deal with a misinformed, over-eager police officer. I never pack a loaded rifle into my car, not even in a locked trunk. Ammo might be right in the soft case with the rifle, but no magazine in the rifle. I hope that meets the definition of 'unloaded' and not that the ammo has to be in a different area of the car; ie rifle in back seat, ammo in trunk.

I bought a couple of large metal cans off Ebay that I padlock ammo into at times. An SUV I drive doesn't have a 'trunk' or a locking glove box so that helps when I get a little nervous to/from the range. A lot of the reason I got a CHL was if I ever did something wrong I 'hope' that the law wouldn't be as aggressive with a CHL holder as Joe Blow. My goal is to never do anything wrong in terms of breaking firearms laws though.

I drive to work everyday with a 7.5" barreled M16 and a loaded mag in the gun on the seat next to me..... Every time i have been stopped the officer just wants to check it out because it looks cool. Other then that no problems.

I also avoid Portland like the plague though.

One thing first not trying to up set any one. But if you look at the CHL it said Handgun not Weapon? Yes?

PS: § 166.210¹ Definitions (5) Handgun means any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.

RE: CHL concealed handgun license, Please note the word "Handgun"

Maybe the License need to changed to Concealed Weapon License, what do you think?

Since there is no law against concelled rifles

However you spell it that is not true, 166.250 is about concealed firearms and a rifle is clearly considered a firearm. But I agree with you and FD that all firearms (NFA, rifle, shotgun, handgun, blackpowder etc) are exempted from 166.250 with a valid license issued under 166.291

Hi Kinber Custom,

Looking over the your post, REFER# § 166.250¹ Unlawful possession of firearms. States the lawful and unlawful application of carry a firearm on ones person, vehicles, and dwelling. Offense is a Class A misdemeanor.

REFER# § 166.291¹ deal with Issuance of concealed handgun license it tell what is needed for the • application, • fees, and • liability. To Demonstrates competence with a handgun. The APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN form, Fingerprints, and Background check. needed to be done by LE, RE: the Sheriff.

Hi Kinber Custom,

Howdy :s0162:
Looking over the your post, REFER# § 166.250¹ Unlawful possession of firearms. States the lawful and unlawful application of carry a firearm on ones person, vehicles, and dwelling. Offense is a Class A misdemeanor.

Correct, in response to wwkii making reference to 'concealed rifles aren't illegal'. I wanted to make sure that people understood that, yes, concealed rifles are illegal under ORS 166.250.

REFER# § 166.291¹ deal with Issuance of concealed handgun license it tell what is needed for the • application, • fees, and • liability. To Demonstrates competence with a handgun. The APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN form, Fingerprints, and Background check. needed to be done by LE, RE: the Sheriff.

166.260 (which I didn't post but will here)
166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:
(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

States that if you have a CHL issued under ORS 166.291/292 you are exempt from 166.250 which references unlawful possession of a firearm. Firearms are defined under 166.210 as: (3) “Firearm” means a weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of powder.

So in summary if you have a CHL issued under 166.291/292 then you are exempt from 166.250 under ORS 166.260

FD, TonsOfOregonBrass, Kimber Custom and wwkii are all correct.

This was a lengthy topic of discussion at one of the CHL classes I sat in on. The Washington County Deputy went over all these laws in detail and pointed out that a CHL exempts you from those other mentioned laws. He even went so far as to warn us about Porland PD, Oregon City, Beaverton, etc, as places that have laws that can cause misunderstandings by the local LEO. A CHL basically exempts you from those loaded/carry/concealed laws - just as it does for LEO, Military etc.

I carry a copy of the pertinent ORS 166.2xx... statutes in my wallet with my CHL. :s0155: Never had the need for it, but it could make things easier if I ever did.

Hi Kimber Custom,
Here what § 166.260¹ Persons not affected by ORS 166.250(1), (h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun. It Does say Handgun, Not Weapon or Not Firearm? Yes?

Thanks Tony Portland, Oregon Area

That is really a good reason to avoid a gray area. I would rather not take the chance of having to deal with a misinformed, over-eager police officer. I never pack a loaded rifle into my car, not even in a locked trunk. Ammo might be right in the soft case with the rifle, but no magazine in the rifle. I hope that meets the definition of 'unloaded' and not that the ammo has to be in a different area of the car; ie rifle in back seat, ammo in trunk.

One way to avoid that is to stay at home. But even then they might execute a no-knock search warrant because they get the wrong house.

In all seriousness, your problem is that you're "hoping", instead of trying to understand the law, or even plainly learning its letter. Here is a little
aid to you - 166.360(3) has a definition of loaded firearm:

(3) "Loaded firearm" means:

(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

(b) A muzzle-loading firearm which is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball, shot or projectile in the barrel or cylinder.

But once given the definition of a loaded firearm, I'd like you to find where the law dictates the manner in which long guns are to be transported ;)

Hey any of you guys shot a TommyGun Were I live I can shoot here? If any of you would like to me up one a day. Maybe we can try one of them out. They are Fun to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top