JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

measure 80

• yes

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • no

Votes: 34 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
I'll probably vote no but I don't really care. Pot heads I know are unmotivated and make stupid decisions so I try to keep them away from me.

Please vote yes! It will generate so much revenue for the state and create thousands of jobs. Its not like there is a line of people waiting to smoke it, the people smoking now will be the ones smoking it when its legal, why make criminals out of them? If they are going to get it one way or another might as well have them fund drug education and prevention in our schools. 9 out of every 10 dollars of profit goes to the state general fund to be used for whatever the state finds necessary, IE schools, roadwork, drug treatment programs. That isn't including the mandatory percentage they put on it that absolutely HAS to go to the schools drug prevention programs.
I am just saying, I need a job, and this will open up paper and pulp mills, create financing jobs, marketing jobs, farms, food production from hemp jobs... the list goes on and on.
People are smoking and driving as well as drinking and driving now, its just up to the individual to be responsible and not do things like that. That's why we have current laws in place.

It costs taxpayer money to deal with petty marijuana possession, our economy is terribly down, our state is looking for additional revenue, I just don't understand why we don't take advantage of this resource and turn those things around, and get Oregon back to work.

If you really don't care, why not just throw a yes down on there for the people that need a job? It wont affect you anymore than it does now, besides it will be harder for kids to get it, drug dealer don't ask for I.D.

Thanks guys,
Shishk

Another issue will be sorting out the lawful THC limit for DOT truck drivers (federal control) motor vehicle operators (state control). How will employers deal with positive drug screens? There will need to be an "under the influence limit" established. This will not be as straightforward as alcohol.

Again, it'll be handled the same as it has been for the last 20 or so years with medical marijuana and those subject to safe workplace and fitness for duty regulations. Any presence will be a positive indication.

If your occupation has anything to do with public safety, you simply cannot have any indication of marijuana in your system. Doesn't matter if you were smoking it or it's just from contact with the smoke, plants, or whatever. Currently, there is no test that will give a quantitative test for marijuana like there is for alcohol.

Legality of the substance simply is not a factor when it comes to testing.

I support the legalization and TAXATION of weed, but I'm voting no on this measure, it just isn't put together well.

Let other states be the pioneer and see how it goes for them.

I support the legalization and TAXATION of weed, but I'm voting no on this measure, it just isn't put together well.

Well how would you do it? this gives people who cannot grow there own for medical reasons or not enough space or money, or whatever the issue is, access to it. At the same time, it funds Oregon. I think it sounds pretty good..

(3) All money remaining in the cannabis account after reimbursement of the related commission and Attorney General costs shall be profits which the State Treasurer shall distribute quarterly as follows:

(a) Ninety percent shall be credited to the state's general fund to finance state programs.

(b) Seven percent shall be credited to the Department of Human Resources and shall be continually appropriated to fund various drug abuse treatment programs on demand.

(c) One percent shall be credited to create and fund an agricultural state committee for the promotion of Oregon hemp fiber, protein and oil crops and associated industries. This new state committee shall be named the "Oregon Hemp Fiber and Food Committee."

(d) One percent shall be credited to create and fund an agricultural state committee to develop and promote biodiesel fuel production from hemp seeds. This new state committee shall be named the "Oregon Hemp Biodiesel Committee."

(e) One percent shall be distributed to the state's school districts, appropriated by enrollment, and shall be continually appropriated to fund a drug education program which shall:

(I) Emphasize a citizen's rights and duties under our social compact and to explain to students how drug abusers might injure the rights of others by failing to fulfill such duties;

(II) Persuade students to decline to consume psychoactive substances by providing them with accurate information about the threat these drugs pose to their mental and physical development; and,

(III) Persuade students that if, as adults, they choose to consume psychoactive substances, they must nevertheless responsibly fulfill all duties they owe others.

If you want you can grow it at home, just like a home brew kit for beer. M80 still gives you that freedom. But its not simply a weed and does not grow crazy unless it has a lot of care put into it, and care = money.
When you put something on a commercial scale/take it off the black market, it becomes more cost effective, and therefore lower prices. It will probably be more cost effective for a lot of people to just buy it at a store and pay the tax.

So it gives the schools and state programs money to help educate your kids not to use it, creates thousands of jobs, gives you back freedoms that you should have in the first place, and you think its not well written? I am confused....

Checked back in on this and read some responses. I still haven't seen one coherent or fact based reason to keep pot illegal. I voted yes already. No I don't smoke. I also don't think it's my business if you do either.

Yeah, let's wait for a perfect measure to be presented for voting... and for an ideal world to come :D

I said no. If you think that the state can run anything efficiently or correctly, think again. Name one department that meets that criteria.

Drug pushers and distributors will continue underground as before.

If you really feel the need to use drugs, just to get through the day or week, or because the wife nags you to death, that's just pathetic.

I said no. If you think that the state can run anything efficiently or correctly, think again. Name one department that meets that criteria.

Drug pushers and distributors will continue underground as before.

If you really feel the need to use drugs, just to get through the day or week, or because the wife nags you to death, that's just pathetic.

You really should educate yourself a little more, how would the drug dealers survive if they have to sell their product at damn near cost to produce? it wouldn't work.
It only works on a large, legal scale. its too expensive otherwise. the legal business would put the pot dealers out of business fast.

And to your comment about using drugs to get through the day or week... so all the people that have to take aspirin for aches and pains are pathetic? the person who hurt there back years ago and still has to take vicodin or percaset for pain is pathetic? Weed is no different, thats why we have medical marijuana in 17 states plus dc.... thats just a pathetic argument really. Way to show compassion for the people who are sick... Any drug can be abused for recreational use...
If you ever had a drink in your life to relax or just because you wanted too, your a huge hypocrite. Why cant a cannabis user do the same thing?

And due to federal and international controlled substance laws, it has to mandated to the state, its the only way it could hold up in federal court. same reason why only certain states get there dispensaries raided. if the state controls it, no problems. but if its done like in California, where the local city controls it, you have problems.

You really should educate yourself a little more, how would the drug dealers survive if they have to sell their product at damn near cost to produce? it wouldn't work.
It only works on a large, legal scale. its too expensive otherwise. the legal business would put the pot dealers out of business fast.

And to your comment about using drugs to get through the day or week... so all the people that have to take aspirin for aches and pains are pathetic? the person who hurt there back years ago and still has to take vicodin or percaset for pain is pathetic? Weed is no different, thats why we have medical marijuana in 17 states plus dc.... thats just a pathetic argument really. Way to show compassion for the people who are sick... Any drug can be abused for recreational use...
If you ever had a drink in your life to relax or just because you wanted too, your a huge hypocrite. Why cant a cannabis user do the same thing?

And due to federal and international controlled substance laws, it has to mandated to the state, its the only way it could hold up in federal court. same reason why only certain states get there dispensaries raided. if the state controls it, no problems. but if its done like in California, where the local city controls it, you have problems.

Yeah. An education from you.......

Still didn't answer the question.

Yeah. An education from you.......

Still didn't answer the question.

I didn't say where to get your education, if you did some more research into the matter you would would know the statistics and studies that have been done.
Doesn't matter how well the state runs it, it will put the weed dealers out of business, and put MJ behind a counter where you have to show your ID.
Im sure it won't be ran to much different than the OLCC runs things, after all thats what this is modeled after. They decided to NOT put it under the OLCC because polls showed that a lot of people believe the OLCC to be corrupt. So they decided to create a new cannabis commission.

I speak from almost 40 years of dealing with idiot drug importers/traffickers, mules, dealers, enablers, users, criminals and victims. So take your school boy research and blow it out your......well, you know where. I've seen the greed, the dishonesty, the misery and idiocy for a long time.

Kids buy alcohol illegally. They buy cigarettes illegally. Sometimes the sellers get caught. Sometimes they don't, but, it still happens. You say the OLCC is corrupt.

Guess what! The State is corrupt, incompetent and stupid. Adding one more layer of idiots won't solve this.

All of this bluster of yours is just a smokes screen.

We will not agree on any of this. Period.

I speak from almost 40 years of dealing with idiot drug importers/traffickers, mules, dealers, enablers, users, criminals and victims. So take your school boy research and blow it out your......well, you know where. I've seen the greed, the dishonesty, the misery and idiocy for a long time.

You do realize that after drug(s) is(are) legalized, out of this list there will only be users ? And depending on the context of your dealing with the given individuals, you may not have to deal with them again.

Some people just need to apply simple economic principles into their view of this situation - offer and demand. We have a huge demand for drugs. And where is demand, there will be supply. If the demanded goods are illegal, then the supply will be illegal. As simple as that.

Fortunately. My time in dealing with this issue is coming to a close. Let's hope that we, as a society, don't regret this move.

You think the MMJ program has had its share of problems? Watch this!

We are a flexible society. Why do you think gun rights are getting stronger ? Because we tried to loosen up the regulation (concealed carry), and saw that there is no negative impact (crime is continuing to reduce). Do you think we would be able to continue on this path if the negative impact was present and obvious ? I doubt it... Same with the pot - we have to try something new, since the old (drug wars) is clearly not working. If it backfires, we can always go back :)

Fortunately. My time in dealing with this issue is coming to a close. Let's hope that we, as a society, don't regret this move.

You think the MMJ program has had its share of problems? Watch this!

The main problem with the OMMA are the growers, there are a large amount of patients being ripped off not getting there meds, while the growers either sell it or keep it for themselves and never answer the phone again.
If we take this away and put it into the state hands, there will be a lot less floating around unaccounted for. m80 will bring down the prices to realistic terms, instead of this artificial inflation we see now, therefore killing any hope illegal dealers might have of making a buck off it.
If you think for a second that it wont be harder for kids to get when they are asked for ID, thats crazy. There maybe some people who break the law by selling to minors, but again your going back to the responsible adult/citizen issue, not a m80 issue.
Fd15k is right, if there is a demand, there will be a supply. Might as well make a buck off it.:)

Have to say no. I believe weed should be legal but I don't want a bunch of dirt bags moving here because they heard about the legal weed. One of the things amsterdam is dealing with is all of Europe's rejects moving in and messing up the city. Pot's cheap, accessible and has nearly no legal consequences if you're caught with a recreational amounts. Let's keep it behind closed doors and not invite more of that element here.

I'd like to see your sources for this opinion. MJ has been de facto legal for more than 30 years in Holland. I spent 4 years living there and saw no evidence of what you suggest. It is true that a lot of tourists come for the relaxed recreational drug laws (mushrooms and other psychedelics are also tolerated), but I never met anybody who moved there for the weed specifically. Possession of small amounts of MJ for personal use is only punished by a monetary fine in most Western European countries much like is the case already in Oregon.

Recently, the Dutch government has been trying to limit the access to the coffee shops for non-residents because of pressure from neighboring countries. The law became effective in May this year in all cities close to the German and Belgian borders and street dealing skyrocketed. Of course, the mayors of these cities hailed the law a success, but at the same time their respective police forces are asking for additional resources to deal with the increase of criminal activity.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads