JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

measure 80

• yes

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • no

Votes: 34 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
I've read all the posts in this thread, there are some straw man arguments and valid concerns as well. I'm of the opinion that we can make some serious gains in production uses and taxable base from this enterprise.

I don't use, no criminal history and I'm willing to see the use of hemp as well as marijuana bring new production and jobs to a community that needs it.

BUT.....(and I'm laughing as I write out this next statement) if one does grow a crop and for reasons unknown decides not to harvest that year, does it become an old growth crop subject to environmental regulations based on the spotted owl?...a hemp eating rat?, a pot savaging deer population?....

Old growth pot regulations, yet to be written, Eco species in peril?....

Okay, I'll be back and be serious again in a while.

No such thing as pot old growth. its an annual crop, dies out every fall :)
Oh and just for you people who are voting no because its illegal federally, we are voting on state laws, not federal, the state will deal with the feds. vote for what you want.
By the way, here is a little law a lot of people don't know, its called "application of state law", which basically states that the federal govt. cannot infringe on a states rights to regulate controlled substances as it sees fit.
21 USC Code Section 903. Application of State law
Those that are worried about your tax dollars being wasted.. Well only the people who buy marijuana, will be taxed, so there ya go, and yes 22 million is nothing compared to what we will generate and save in the long run. plus, like someone above me had already stated, hemp alone will create so much revenue, it literally has around 25,000 different uses and that will be $$$

Studies show that alcohol and tobacco use among kids is down more than ever, while marijuana is at an all time high. with a level of regulation and more drug education in our schools (which m80 provides) we can see those numbers go down, plus making it legal will take the cool factor out of it for some kids.

Anyway, Hello all and Nice to meet you,
Shishk

Welcome to the forums Shishk.

I'd really like to have some 1" thick hemp rope about 100' long for my work, I'm all for the tax dollars and trying out legalizing marijuana. If this all fails because of morons, the. We can always repeal it.

I'll probably vote no but I don't really care. Pot heads I know are unmotivated and make stupid decisions so I try to keep them away from me.

I was told by a LEO that the worst thing about MJ is that the first thing to go is a person's inhibitions, and in ETOH (Alcohol) lips feeling, and speech, balance, then go the inhibitions.
So if this person is going to be an A** Hole, he will right off. I vote no as paramedic I'd rather deal with a drunk, than a pot head.

Quite possibly the most ignorant statement I have heard in a long time on this subject. You ask a bartender if they would prefer to deal with a drunk being turned down for a drink or a pot head wanting chips.

Do the rest of us a favor and don't take about stuff you don't know about. M'kay?

Hahahah , "Hold this box of twinkies while I go run your plates... And don't eat any..." That there is funny! I wish more people would vote on the poll it is private!

I can see it now.. Pro-Pot commercials with all sorts of folks trying to dissuade stereotypes :
"I'm a doctor, and I smoke pot".. "I'm a nanny, and I smoke pot", "I'm a teacher, and I smoke pot", "I'm a once underprivileged
(insert cliche rags to riches race/class here) who received a full-ride scholarship to yale..and I smoke pot".

My circle of friends is largely composed of the professional crowd folks like doctors, pharmacists, lawyers, business management types, and so on and so forth. A good 30% of them regularly drink themselves stupid and that's perfectly legal and socially acceptable. Figure at least if they smoked pot instead, I wouldn't have to hose vomit off my front porch after house parties anymore.

My circle of friends is largely composed of the professional crowd folks like doctors, pharmacists, lawyers, business management types, and so on and so forth. A good 30% of them regularly drink themselves stupid and that's perfectly legal and socially acceptable. Figure at least if they smoked pot instead, I wouldn't have to hose vomit off my front porch after house parties anymore.

Just vacuuming up Cheetos instead :s0155:

hahahaha They all smoke now just in the closet!

Have to say no. I believe weed should be legal but I don't want a bunch of dirt bags moving here because they heard about the legal weed. One of the things amsterdam is dealing with is all of Europe's rejects moving in and messing up the city. Pot's cheap, accessible and has nearly no legal consequences if you're caught with a recreational amounts. Let's keep it behind closed doors and not invite more of that element here.

hahahaha They all smoke now just in the closet!

Of course, but one can very likely lose their professional license for using a controlled substance illegally. That is the irony of it. Routinely drinking yourself stupid and coming in to work hungover the following morning doesn't so much as get as a word with the manager in his office. Fail a UA however, and there will be serious consequences.

One gal I know was canned immediately for THC metabolites showing up in a drug test; fired on the spot, instantly taken off the schedule, and actions will be taken against her professional license; it will be an uphill battle for her to find employment within her profession again. Another gal actually woke up in an alley behind a strip club, obviously extremely hungover, comes into work... and her colleagues simply sent her home for a couple of hours to sleep it off while they covered. There wasn't a talking-to from the boss, there wasn't even any gossip about it (e.g. "Did you hear about what so-and-so did the other day?")

Extreme examples to be sure, but I just don't see any logic behind treating responsible marijuana use as something worse than alcohol abuse. And I say this as someone who doesn't ever use marijuana.

...And most often they do all fit in the cliche stereotype and those are just the folks whom should be setting a good example just as others would for firearms.

When one is surrounded by only the poorest examples, how can one have a positive opinion of the said people?
You would think if they wanted to really be a "cause" they'd inform one another not to act like scum (for those of which do) as to not give a bad rep to their said cause.. much like we might inform those who bubblegum up shooting areas or who don't practice safe shooting. If enough individuals make them look bad then the reputation will follow...

One is not surrounded by only the poorest examples, it's just that the poorest examples are the visible ones. The good examples are good examples largely because of their invisibility. Every community (marijuana smokers, gun owners, etc.) has its idiots, and every community will always have its idiots. Nothing you can do about it. More often than not, the idiots of a community are their most visible members, too. However, making a case to take away the rights of an entire community (cannabis users) based on the behavior of that community's idiots (burnouts) is no different than someone else's case to take away the rights of an entire community (gun owners) based on the behavior on that community's idiots (Bubbas, "gun nuts", etc.)

Can you site your source for that stat please?
Thanks! :s0155:

Drug Offenses: 91,952 (47.7 %)

BOP: Quick Facts

I don't have a breakdown by type of drug, but MJ being the most popular would likely be the major cause. Also I am in favor of legalizing all drugs :D

Btw, quick math :

$27,251 (cost per prisoner in 2010) x 91,952 = 2.5B per year.

Okay, found something more specific for you, apparently not as bad as I predicted (a bit outdated though) :

Previous data released last year by the Bureau of Justice Statistics indicates that 12.7 percent of state inmates and 12.4 percent of federal inmates incarcerated for drug violations are serving time for marijuana offenses.

http://norml.org/news/2007/11/21/de...no-adverse-impact-on-public-safety-study-says

And plenty more interesting facts here :
<broken link removed>

This was a tough one. My emotions said no but that was inconsistent with my deeply held Libertarian/free market beliefs. I voted yes.

I was a teen in the 70's and saw the real life effects, emotional/personal/financial growth halted. The same case can be made against alcohol which is why I believe these things are rightly best left for adults who have already done the bulk of their development.

If it is legalized, some interesting things will need to be sorted out. Federal law will be in conflict with State law. Since the only constitutional federal authority is through the regulation of interstate commerce, will lawful users be subject to federal prosecution if there is no interstate commerce? Another issue will be sorting out the lawful THC limit for DOT truck drivers (federal control) motor vehicle operators (state control). How will employers deal with positive drug screens? There will need to be an "under the influence limit" established. This will not be as straightforward as alcohol.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top